nameless ZJ project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > nameless ZJ project

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

2nd and bump it - My ZJ build

So I renamed the title for my driving style

I bought my 98 grand bone stock with the 4.0 and 242 two years ago when I turned 16 and since then have been into wheeling it.

Stock didnt last to long and I put a BB on with 30" BFG ATs. The jeep was like this for most the time Ive owned it. I did a bunch of little stuff such as a K&N cone filter, FM 40, Cobra cb and firestik, changed out the ss, put on kevins radiator support and replaced the head unit and other little stuff.

After learning alot more from this forum and many other sites and getting to know the guys in my club I decided to bump up in some lift. Bought a 3.5" RE superride off a guy in my club and got some old 32x11.50 wildtracs from a friend and put them on some cragers. Also bought a teraflex adj front track bar.

I ditched the teraflex TB and installed an IRO double shear conversion, very happy with it.

Last edited by UTChavok; 02-24-2009 at 08:22 PM..
UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

This lasted for a while until I itched to go higher again. I cut down my 2" spacers to 1.25" and stacked them ontop of the 3.5 RE for just over 4.5". I ordered some black diamond shocks since the procomps were a little short, and put on my YJ brake lines. Droops pretty good with everything now.

I then got some 33x10.50 BFG KM2s and I love these tires, performed great when I went wheeling at the Gulches ORV park a couple months back and handle awesome onroad. Also trimmed the front bumper to get rid of some rubbing with it and I think it looks a whole lot better

After that I fabbed up some longer bumpstops and got a set of beat up JKS discos for $40, painted them and ordered a new mounting pin and for ~$60 I have a pretty nice set of discos.

I trimmed the front and rear fenders and put on some adhesive door trim, dont have any pics of that but will snag some soon. Also have a lockrite for the d30 at my friends apartment and just need some time to put it in.

My plans for the near future are
-sliders for xmas
-Fabbing up a TC skid similiar to kevins
-8.8 swap (found one locally w/ 4.10s and discs)
-regearing the 30 to 4.10 or finding an hp30 and swapping it
-finding used gas tank skid
-adjustable uppers
Unread 11-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Dillonzj
1998 ZJ 

Dude! It looks sweet!!! I want a lift sooo bad.. I wish I could find someone selling a 3.5" RE oh yeah and I need some money hahaha

Sweet Jeep

Dillon

BTW I love the car.. is it a BMW 325i??

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...

MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Ronnie, That thing is looking good, Glad to see it coming together!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonzj View Post
Dude! It looks sweet!!! I want a lift sooo bad.. I wish I could find someone selling a 3.5" RE oh yeah and I need some money hahaha

Sweet Jeep

Dillon

BTW I love the car.. is it a BMW 325i??

Yep it is, the mothers car. I dont see much driving time behind it but Im not complaining. The ZJ rides smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around
Ronnie, That thing is looking good, Glad to see it comig together!
Thanks, Im planing on ordering a case of amsoil and filter for my next oil change aswell with the preferred membership I recieved. Been really short on cash since football season started, we will only have 3 weeks left at the most so I can start working back at my job and Ill have an income again.
Unread 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good looking jeep. I like a lifted ZJ, it's different.

how do you like the KM2s? road and trail?
Unread 11-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

three pictures up on your first post, the picture of you coming over the hill, that is an awesome picture, so clear and the ground is so.... red. sweet
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cherokeeclass View Post
Good looking jeep. I like a lifted ZJ, it's different.

how do you like the KM2s? road and trail?
There great onroad, handled very well in the rain the past couple days. Are not loud at all either. Offroad I aired down to around 16 and they did very well imo. Dont have much to compare to since Ive only done serious wheeling with the km2s, just kinda fooled around with the ATs and wildtracs. Id recommend them though
Unread 11-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Got some pics of the trimming, didnt get any of the process. I just used a jigsaw for most of the fender and used an angle grinder on the pinch seam on the inside. I plan on painting the whole inside to prevent and stop that rust thats starting in the little spot. Also going to do something about filling the gab better between the door and the fender.

This is just a combination over time of hammering and grinding, I wanted to leave the welds in that were there. Will take a flap disc to it to clean it up.

Unread 11-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

Lookin good man, the clear corner lenses really set off the ZJ. Very clean look
USN Jeep Club #115
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Took a trip out to a local wheeling place for a couple hours today, pretty succesful. I do need to adjust my transfer case linkage though. It also slips (lack of better words to descripe what its doing) when trying to accelerate in 2wd and fulltime up hills and sometimes even on flat ground. When in part time or 4lo I dont have this problem at all. Also need to take the grinder to the inside of the fenders and clear out a little more, had some slight rubbing. The rear tires stuff nicely though.

We met a couple guys in land cruisers out there too, nice guys but hey... there driving yotas

Took them a while to get up this steep incline we went up with thier carburators and one guy on street slicks.

Anyway heres some more pics

Unread 11-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
thething
1998 ZJ 

Jeep is coming along really nicely. Keep up the good work.
thething is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

This thing is one of my favorite Jeeps on here. I have to mention though, your track bar is upside down and backwards. The adjuster goes at the frame mount and the tight bend is for the axle end to allow for long arm articulation.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Well I guess your right, looked up a few pictures on thier website. Ill switch it on wednesday when we get out for break. Im picking up a can of great stuff and going to put some in between fender and the body right next to the door, sand it down and paint it. Hopefully it turns out well. Gonna paint the whole wheel well also. Might pic up some of the adhesive door trim for the rear fenders, not sure yet.

Ohh and ordered JCR sliders
Unread 11-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Another picture thats pretty cool I think that my friend just sent me

Last edited by UTChavok; 11-27-2008 at 07:47 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.