My YJ LT1 build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My YJ LT1 build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #91
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's off the non turbo model, picked up a second hood, much better shape than mine. I'll use the old hood to mock the shaker in, then decide if I want to do it.

Finished the front suspension and mounted the tank, this is all I can do to the chassis for now.......On to the drivetrain.

mavrick331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #92
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the resto on your corvette is as clean as the work on your jeep, that thing must be flawless. Second, don't let anyone talk you out of doing a v8 swap into a yj. The one thing I will say however, your not building a factory resto. Some of the things that were done to that jeep, and some of the things you still need to do require more mockup and layout before proceeding. I think you have seen that with the rear axle already. You should consider eliminating the rear tracbar all together and replace the front shackles with some stronger/longer ones to allow the springs to perform better. You have the skidplate bolted up with tcase drop spacers, you should try and eliminate them and run the tcase with a sye and use a cvstyle driveshaft. You will have to readjust the pinion angle on the rear axle for this, but you already have that planned. I do think the work you have done looks real clean, I'm just trying to give you some constructive criticsm.
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #93
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick331 View Post
Removed the stock fuel pump, had to fabricate a fuel pick up.

You have any more info on this? You say you "had to fabricate a fuel pick up." What part of the above picture is stock? What part did you fabricate? Where's the fuel pump?

When I swapped my LT1 into my truck ('85 S10) the pump took the place of my stocker TBI pump which resided ON the pickup. I basically pulled the old one off, put the new one on there, soldered new connector on, plugged it in, then dropped it back in.

It would be nice if the Jeep worked out this way.

Either way...please explain what setup you're using for my sake on our swap into a '94 YJ.
HectorM52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #94
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
If the resto on your corvette is as clean as the work on your jeep, that thing must be flawless. Second, don't let anyone talk you out of doing a v8 swap into a yj. The one thing I will say however, your not building a factory resto. Some of the things that were done to that jeep, and some of the things you still need to do require more mockup and layout before proceeding. I think you have seen that with the rear axle already. You should consider eliminating the rear tracbar all together and replace the front shackles with some stronger/longer ones to allow the springs to perform better. You have the skidplate bolted up with tcase drop spacers, you should try and eliminate them and run the tcase with a sye and use a cvstyle driveshaft. You will have to readjust the pinion angle on the rear axle for this, but you already have that planned. I do think the work you have done looks real clean, I'm just trying to give you some constructive criticsm.
Thanks, I really appreciate your comments; I understand the shackles and have been doing research. I am having a SYE installed right now on the t-case and a cv shaft is in my plan, but I donít understand the need to remove the spacers, I thought the less angle I have the better for vibrations? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Rick
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #95
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorM52 View Post
You have any more info on this? You say you "had to fabricate a fuel pick up." What part of the above picture is stock? What part did you fabricate? Where's the fuel pump?

When I swapped my LT1 into my truck ('85 S10) the pump took the place of my stocker TBI pump which resided ON the pickup. I basically pulled the old one off, put the new one on there, soldered new connector on, plugged it in, then dropped it back in.

It would be nice if the Jeep worked out this way.

Either way...please explain what setup you're using for my sake on our swap into a '94 YJ.
I removed the stock fuel pump and replaced it with the submersible fuel line in the picture, then had to mount the strainer to it, the idea was to go with a frame mounted fuel pump.

I'm scraping that idea, the LT1 requires 255 LPH @ 40 psi, the 2004 Grand Cherokee (and similar years) uses an identical sized pump and can be had aftermarket rated with the same specs as the LT1. It will bolt and connect right up the the YJ unit. I picked one up online from TRE performance this evening for $78, free shipping.

Benifits this way are, quieter in the tank, saves frame rail space and runs about $60 cheaper..... unless you bought the foot long peice of submersible fuel line like I did for $18.....
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #96
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Putting the skid back up on the frame will give you more clearance if you ever do wheel it, especially if you stay on the smaller side of tires (every inch counts). Not doing an sye and using a standard driveshaft with a tcase drop on a lift more than 2"s is a crapshoot whether or not you will get driveline vibrations. Since you are doing an sye and you have changed the rear end you would be crazy not to do a cv style driveshaft. You will have to set up the pinion angle on the rearend afterward, but thats already been discussed. Going with that setup allows you to run the skid up high without the worry of vibs, infact running the skid dropped would give you no benefit at all. I'm running about 7" of lift with an 8.8 and a tatton cv driveshaft up to a jbc ss sye, with a rockkrawler skid (higher than stock) and have no vib issues. I set the pinion angle about 2deg lower than the tcase like earlier reccomended and it works fine. The time it takes to mockup and install the motor/tran/tcase in the right location and angle, it would be well worth getting that skid back up there first. It would be a nightmare to do later. Keep up the good work and trust me, you'll love the v8 power.
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #97
87YJBill
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I HAD a 207, key word had. it pitched the chain and gears right out the side of the case, have a 231 now and has been in and well used for years. the 207 makes for some good scrap aluminum.
87YJBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #98
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

On to the drive train, decided to work on the engine at the house, gave it another cleaning then stripped the intake down.

Unread 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #99
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got the bottom of the LT1 painted red.

Unread 04-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #100
USAFStout88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Man i wanna work at ur house sweet cars in the back....But nice job this thread so for makes me wanna do the same swap eventually

2004 TJ 2.5 RC spring lift with discos smittybilt xrc front and rear bumpers 10k winch incab control some other goodies

[QUOTE=KHoff90;12552955]Beer, blow, hookers and bacon[/QUOTE]
USAFStout88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #101
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Happy Easter all !!

Got a little work in over the weekend

Intake, throttle body and my and my little helper

Unread 04-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #102
kbfunTH
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i'm catching this a little late in the project and it's hard for me to follow along with all the technical stuff, but i can tell it's going to be sweet when it's all finished.

i have an 89 YJ that I would like to do this with. difficult for me to vision the whole project though.
Acts 4:12
kbfunTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #103
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nooooooo - you didn't paint those valve covers!!!! That makes me sad!!!
HectorM52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #104
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just went through whole thread. You do awesome work sir. A 17yr garage engineer myself, I can always appreciate when someone takes the time to do it right. Hats off from this corner.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #105
Burns95
2004 WJ 

Awesome thread. Thanks for sharing.
Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.