My YJ LT1 build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My YJ LT1 build

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #76
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I got the 8.8 mounted, wheels on ground, wheels on the ground, lookin like a fool with....sorry different song

New tires, discount tire wouldn't mount the 12 year old originals, my second powder coated rim came out better than the first.

mavrick331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #77
jlarsen2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

DANG this looks awesome wish to do something like this after college or maybe during funds depending. loving the rims it will give the jeep a distinct looks besides the craig soft 8s
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #78
USAFStout88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good...i love that motor i think imma do that eventually

2004 TJ 2.5 RC spring lift with discos smittybilt xrc front and rear bumpers 10k winch incab control some other goodies

[QUOTE=KHoff90;12552955]Beer, blow, hookers and bacon[/QUOTE]
USAFStout88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #79
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks really great and your jeep week isn't over yet. I hope the motor gets mounted soon.
shoreline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #80
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got the front track bar, shocks and T- case skid plate on.

Have an issue, tried to mount the rear shocks, I'm about 3/4 on an inch off. could be the mounts were welded wrong, but could it be that the axle is not angled up enough ? The rear of the spring perchs are touching the spring, while the front is are about a 1/2 off of them. I didn't measure the angle or the wedge that was in there now, my guess is its about a 1/2 inch.

The lift is 3 1/2 and the t-case drop on the skid plate is about 1/ 1/2 inches.

Also looking for sway bar brackets, only thing I can find is the drivers side? They all are listed as drivers side, are they the same for both?
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #81
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Most people will say you don't need sway bars on a YJ because the leaf springs keep everything pretty stable. Just something to think about. I didn't have them on my 95 and had no issues.
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #82
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome project, and it is looking very good.

It is difficult to set your rear pinion angle properly without the engine/trans in the frame, and all the static wt on the tires. I can only assume you will be putting in SYE kit and using a CV shaft. You will want the rear pinion about 1.5-2* below pointing directly at your transfer case output. Once you get the pinion angle properly set you can reweld spring perches at the proper place and then you can reset your shock lower mounting points. I'm sorry but I haven't gone thru your entire thread post by post so I am not certain of your Transfer case plans, or whether you have done a "final" weld on your rear axle perches already. Either way, you will need to re-set your shock mounts.

In regards to the sway bar, there are many who ditch this. As far as the brackets, they both look the same to me on mine. Track bars are long gone though.

As I started out, Awesome project..........

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #83
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, I'll wait till I get the drivetrain in before I mess with the shock mounts.

Found the brackets at a junkyard yesterday, they had a white 94 missing the hardtop and front axle, otherwise in mint condtion, paint was almost flawless.

They said it was sold and was a cash for clunkers jeep, thought they could not sell complete cars?

Rick
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #84
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your doing an awsome job. but I too noticed your pinion angle on your 8.8! I would put money on the fact that your gonna have problems with your driveshaft vibes. Did you weld your perchs on or did you buy it already set up like that? Looks to Me like you will have to cut your perchs off and redo them once you get the rest of the body and motor weight on your springs. Your axle will have to be rotated, up so your shock mounts might be allright. Also, when welding perchs back on, take out the pinion wedges from your spring packs. You can compensate for the wedges when you set the perchs. By removeing the wedges, you also gain about 5/8" in lift
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #85
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinking View Post
Your doing an awsome job. but I too noticed your pinion angle on your 8.8! I would put money on the fact that your gonna have problems with your driveshaft vibes. Did you weld your perchs on or did you buy it already set up like that? Looks to Me like you will have to cut your perchs off and redo them once you get the rest of the body and motor weight on your springs. Your axle will have to be rotated, up so your shock mounts might be allright. Also, when welding perchs back on, take out the pinion wedges from your spring packs. You can compensate for the wedges when you set the perchs. By removeing the wedges, you also gain about 5/8" in lift
I had the axle mocked up like the D35, I never thought of removing the wedges by repostioning the perchs...I wait till close to the end of the build before I mess with it.

Off to try and get the pittman arm off the old steering box, where are my grenades...

Last edited by mavrick331; 03-20-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Unread 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #86
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I was wondering how you figured that angle to have a shop weld the perches. Since you will have cut off the perches and shock mounts, consider the PIA that will be from under the vehicle versus doing it now. Most guys bolt everything in and then tack the perches once you find the correct angle, which you can do after getting the LT1 in place. Now you need to make friends with someone around you shop with a welder, or buy one. A $1,200 welder is never in the budget, but a good thing to own. Keep up the good work - you're inspiring.
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #87
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
I was wondering how you figured that angle to have a shop weld the perches. Since you will have cut off the perches and shock mounts, consider the PIA that will be from under the vehicle versus doing it now. Most guys bolt everything in and then tack the perches once you find the correct angle, which you can do after getting the LT1 in place. Now you need to make friends with someone around you shop with a welder, or buy one. A $1,200 welder is never in the budget, but a good thing to own. Keep up the good work - you're inspiring.
That's what I'm going to do, wait till I get the drivetrain and tub in.

Vacations over , guess progress will be a little slower.....Got the sway bar in and got the other 2 rims powder coated, will get tires mounted this week.

Last edited by mavrick331; 03-22-2010 at 05:09 AM..
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #88
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, let's see how many feathers I can ruffle here..... This is what I plan on mounting low in the hood.

Unread 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #89
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's your Jeep brother and with a full garage there is no question you are a corvette guy...that is a corvette part I assume?
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #90
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
It's your Jeep brother and with a full garage there is no question you are a corvette guy...that is a corvette part I assume?
Looks like it's off a 301 Pontiac Trans Am maybe it was a 301 Turbo. It's your Jeep but I'm not a fan of hood scoops on jeeps

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.