My YJ LT1 build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My YJ LT1 build

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #136
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
Wow looking very nice. Are you going to keep the dana 30?
For now, yes

mavrick331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #137
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Now I need to ask for the consensus about cooling, everything Iíve ready says a 2 core aluminum radiator is fine, do I go with duel electric fans or a single?

You guys with V8ís, what temps are you seeing with normal driving? Is there any reason to vent the engine bay on the fenders or the hood? Keep in mind Iím down in south Texas where the average summertime temps can be 95 degrees.

Thanks, Rick
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #138
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the single flexilite fan for the yj's and modified it to fit my novak radiator. It works real well. Yes I would consider venting the hood or side panels. I notice after I stop, the fan will kick on a few times while it sits unless I open the hood. I have not yet vented anything but I definately am.
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #139
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do they make fender or hood vents for a YJ aftermarket, can't find any on the net, or is this a custom feature I'll have to fab or retrofit on my own?

Rick
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #140
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Gen right makes some hood louvers

JEEP PARTS | JEEP ACCESSORIES | JEEP BUMPERS | Hood Louvers

You can also get some off of a Lebaron

Gen Right also makes these tube fenders with a perforated side or one with a louver

GenRight Tube Fender for the Jeep YJ w/3" flare

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #141
Goobersbro

I have a couple questions. First what kind of blaster do you have...I'm in the market rite now to buy a blaster and my boss wants to go in on with me...I'm buying it to blast the frame axles tub ect....

Second question..when blasting the axles or trans how did you ensure not to get sand in the no no areas???
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #142
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
how did you ensure not to get sand in the no no areas???
That's a good question! It seems to find it's way into your underwear even with coveralls on. Don't dismantle anything from the rear unless you plan to strip it completely. I already made that mistake... I was admiring the fresh paint job I just completed when I decided to give the pinion a spin - and of course, it was packed with sand and made my axle build cost much more than anticipated. Ouch!

I have a tip blaster - they are great if you can find a used one since they went out of business due to old age, not tool quality. I think good air supply is probably more imortant though - I finally bumped up to an 11 CFM IR and that makes a big difference.
shoreline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #143
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Provin for the links, Iíll check them out....The blaster I'm using is from Eastwood, their combo soda/media pressure pot blaster. You will need about 8 CFM to run; you can run 2 compressors in tandem as I did. I must stress deliver the driest air you can to the pressure pot; otherwise you will be fighting the blaster clogging. On warm, high humidity days it was easier to use a cheap craftsman siphon feed.

I taped, then plastic bagged, then taped again the seals on the axle before blasting, it took longer to remove the all the tape than it did to blast.

Rick
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #144
Goobersbro

Thanks! man does blasting make life easy too
Unread 05-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #145
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Heh - I think you snuck in a new gas tank without any pictures. Did you select a radiator/fan yet? I see that some guys have used this one - Summit Racing SUM-380324 - Summit Racing® Aluminum Racing Radiators - Overview - SummitRacing.com - without any cooling problems and it's significantly less expensive than the Advanced Adapters/Novak units. What do you think?
Unread 05-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #146
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, do you know what mods need to be done to get it mounted? Hoping to get at least a day on on the Jeep this weekend, it's been to long...

Rick
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #147
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished a beach trip with the family too! I think you will need to mock up mounting tabs for that radiator, but that is easy enough. I'll post any info I find for you since you're nice enough to lead me through this...
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #148
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Try this link. 1 ton YJ mentions the universal radiator - apparently did the homework for us

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...diator-423114/
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #149
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got a nice GRIFFIN radiator at Summit for under $200. I took it to a local welder and had some brackets welded on the side. I mimic'ed the brackets on the Jeep radiator.

The welder didn't do the curves, just straight pieces of aluminum. I notched for the headlights myself.

My suggestion is to make sure that the driver's side bracket is WIDE and that the passenger's side is THIN just like the stock brackets are. You must do this because the bottom of the radiator is about 1/4" or so away from the steering gear when you shove the rad over toward the passenger side as far as possible. It is seriously tight down there.

Let me see if I can find any "finished" pics of the rad with brackets. I think I forgot to take them.
HectorM52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #150
mavrick331
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great info, but a have a different issue...

My research has led me to belive that the angle of the engine should be level to 3 degrees of back tilt? Dead level leaves me 3 1/2 inches above the skid plate after removing the drop kit on the skid plate. Do I just fab up a 3 1/2 inch spacer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.