Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My YJ LT1 build

423K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  TxTJ32 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Buying my second YJ Thursday, my first was a brand new 94' 4.0, did a few mods on it, then sold it in 2000 in mint condition w/36k on the odometer (Had company truck). I sold it for a 96' Grand Cherokee 4x4 to impress a girl, who I later married, figured zip up windows wouldn't work. I kick myself the a$$ every time I see a YJ for getting rid of it.

Fast forward to present day, married 7 years with 2 small kids, 2 small dogs and 2 vette's. One is a 73' roadster which I restored mostly myself. I couldn't have done it without the help of a corvette forum, the assistance I received was invaluable.

I recently found an 87' YJ sitting behind a storage facility in fairly decent condition, has hardtop and doors and half steel doors, no soft top or engine. I tracked down the owner and convinced him to sell it for $1000.

I plan to make a daily driver out of it, but I'm going to start from the frame up, from there I’m still up in the air....back with a 4.0 inline 6, or small V8. Would a small V8 be practicable for an everyday driver? I don't plan on heavy offroading, mild at best (getting too old).

I’m looking forward to pestering everybody on this forum for information as my build progresses, as you can tell, I’m very long winded….

Thanks and apologies in advance :cheers2:,

Rick

See less See more
#298 ·
The hood should be fine.

Would you consider changing mounts at this point to gain some room up front?

As an LT1 swapper (in my S10) I screwed up by putting mine too far forward and really struggled for years with fitting fans up there and still trying to run an A/C condenser. Like you said, there's plenty of room to move back, so why not do it?

Once you cut your driveshafts it's too late to go back (for free, that is) and then you gotta think about exhaust too. So get it in the "best" position considering ALL options (clearance on both sides, back AND front). I would say even if that means getting different mounts!!

***EDIT***I just looked back to see that you have your driveshafts cut already...so...SORRY for the bad luck!! LOL

#299 ·
Correct........ driveshafts are mounted, and exhaust will be done by the morning. I had a few comments of "why did you use the cradle, you get better placement using weld on mounts?" Should have listened...running a rear distributor, this mount would be perfect. Live and learn :brickwall

I still have other fan options, and still might be able to make the Mark8 fan work..........

Rick

#300 ·
Got it back from the exhaust shop, they did an excellent job, better than expected, tail pipes run 3 inches back from end, everthing tucked up neat, nothing bolted to the body. Fair price as well.

If you are near San Antonio, Planet Pickup is the place to go IMO:highfive:!!!!!

#304 ·
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, 33X12.5 on 11 year old chrome powdercoated black american racing wheels.

Thinking of changing the rims out for Micky Thompson sidebiters...
If you want Sidebiters, plan ahead, I ordered mine close to 4 months ago, and they have been "back-ordered" at 2 different vendors, MT says they should ship next week, but I've heard that before, 16 times before to be exact. My build has been stopped dead for 4 months waiting for those rims to mount my 33s on them. (Who wants to drive around in a Jeep lifted 5 inches running on 29" tires? It would look like a roller-skate.)

Awesome build, I am looking forward to seeing what your dash is going to look like, I love seeing the custom stuff people come up with. If you know of anybody with a CNC machine, they could make short work of your new dash requirements.

#306 ·
I allready figured that I'm going to have to pull the tub before mock up again...going to see about a Tcase shifter tommorow, still don't have one.

I'm also going to mock all radiator hoses, air intake & front wiring before I decided how to intall the Mark 8 fan, make sure I have all my bases covered before install.

Rick

#307 ·
I would think that you could find something from a 4wd Blazer. The back of a 4.3 V6 is the exact same as the back of an LT1 and they used 4L60E's on the 2nd gen S-trucks. Should be a piece of cake - maybe just some trimming of the floorboard if you're not lucky enough to land in the same spot as your current hole.

#309 ·
Played with the Corvette gauge cluster some, removed the "deep dish" angle from the top.

Before

After

#310 ·
I just found out the radiator is built wrong both hoses connect to the passenger side....WRONG :nono:

The radiator mounts fine and the hood closes fine, played with the TA shaker a bit. Guess I'll be calling them on Monday....:mad:

#312 ·
You going to get a Screaming Chicken decal for the hood? T/A scoop needs to be raised up a little IMO.

#311 ·
:pickle::drool::drool::drool:

#315 ·
Pulled the tub back off...getting real good at this... You can now see the job the exhaust shop did.

I wrapped the pipe with a heat wrap, mainly for the fuel line on the drivers side.

Whats strange in the photo is the Jeep, Corvette and the Tahoe are reversed in the picture from where they really were, even the beer is on the wrong side of the vette. No clue what happened in the picture....

#316 ·
You can even see the steering wheels on the vette and tahoe are on the wrong side :confused::confused::confused:

#318 ·
Hi Rick;

Still amazed everytime I come to this tread! :)

Can you tell us a little about the fuel system? How did you do the fuel lines, did you put the pump outside the tank? which one did you use? what size are you lines? which filters did you use? Are you using the original sending unit? How about the wiring?

Thanks!

#319 ·
Hi Rick;

Still amazed everytime I come to this tread! :)

Can you tell us a little about the fuel system? How did you do the fuel lines, did you put the pump outside the tank? which one did you use? what size are you lines? which filters did you use? Are you using the original sending unit? How about the wiring?

Thanks!
Fuel system is not complete as of yet. But the pump is in the tank, it's a 96' Grand Cherokee, think it was a 155 PSI unit (same as a 96' vette), it mounts directly to the stock 87' Jeep sending unit. An outside unit would be way to loud on a jeep (IMO) , but could be done, I found the the Cherokee unit cheaper than a frame mounted aftermarket unit and it will keep cooler in the tank. The fuel lines are the same as stock...but now you have me wondering if they will suffice....

Wiring will be stock 94-96 Corvette

#320 ·
I have been checking out you work since you started. Let me say, VERY NICE. I saw early on that you were thinking about going with a different wheel and you said Discount wouldn't mount your tires because of the age. Would you be interested in getting rid of either the wheels or tires? I live in Corpus so S.A. is not a big drive for me, and the tires would be used for off road (beach) purposes only.

Let me know,

Thanks.

#321 ·
The tires are gone...got the new Duratracs on the rims. Once I do get the new rims, you can have the old ones. I can even have them brought to Corpus for you to pick up, I'll PM you when the time comes...

Rick

#322 ·
You might be the coolest guy on this site. Thank you. When you come back this way (I read you went to Port A, I think) give me a shout and we can make a trip down the beach. When that thing gets built the only thing better than pictures in you pristine garage would be pictures about 20 miles down the beach.

#323 ·
I agree....:cheers2:

Does anyone know what CFM I should expect to run on an electric fan with this LT1, don't think I'll be able to get the Lincoln Mark 8 to work. Looking at a flex-a-lite 485, pulls 3300 cfm.

Rick

#325 ·
I envy you sir. The original Jeep is the only cheap thing I have seen in these pictures: expensive work on the frame, suspension, and body, expensive garage, and even expensive beer!

But don't let my jealousy hold you back, youre doing a great job and you will have an amazing rig when it all comes together.

#327 ·
Well, I gave up on the Lincoln Mark 8 fan, really wanted to use it. I spent 3 times as much on a Flexalite, should be here by Friday, it's a direct mount with relay and adjustable thermostat built in and runs at 3300 cfm.

Bypassing the throttle coolant flow on the LT1, thanks to Shoebox on the LT1/LS1 forums..:highfive:

Rick

#328 ·
Hi Rick,
Very cool build!! Are you going to be sending your wire harness in to be reworked, or are you going to do it yourself? I'm curious because I've got a similar project in progress, my lt1 is out of a 95' impala ss. I'm leaning towards sending mine out along with the computer.

You have me thinking about changing out my saddle style motor mount out for weld in.

Your write up and pic's are very helpful! keep up the good work!

#332 ·
Hi Rick,
Very cool build!! Are you going to be sending your wire harness in to be reworked, or are you going to do it yourself? I'm curious because I've got a similar project in progress, my lt1 is out of a 95' impala ss. I'm leaning towards sending mine out along with the computer.

You have me thinking about changing out my saddle style motor mount out for weld in.

Your write up and pic's are very helpful! keep up the good work!
Do a weld in, should have listened to this group...

Doing the wireing myself....I'm leaving everything in the corvette wire harness until I get it running. Then gut all unused wires after.

Got my new high dollar flexalite fan in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.