Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My YJ LT1 build

423K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  TxTJ32 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Buying my second YJ Thursday, my first was a brand new 94' 4.0, did a few mods on it, then sold it in 2000 in mint condition w/36k on the odometer (Had company truck). I sold it for a 96' Grand Cherokee 4x4 to impress a girl, who I later married, figured zip up windows wouldn't work. I kick myself the a$$ every time I see a YJ for getting rid of it.

Fast forward to present day, married 7 years with 2 small kids, 2 small dogs and 2 vette's. One is a 73' roadster which I restored mostly myself. I couldn't have done it without the help of a corvette forum, the assistance I received was invaluable.

I recently found an 87' YJ sitting behind a storage facility in fairly decent condition, has hardtop and doors and half steel doors, no soft top or engine. I tracked down the owner and convinced him to sell it for $1000.

I plan to make a daily driver out of it, but I'm going to start from the frame up, from there I’m still up in the air....back with a 4.0 inline 6, or small V8. Would a small V8 be practicable for an everyday driver? I don't plan on heavy offroading, mild at best (getting too old).

I’m looking forward to pestering everybody on this forum for information as my build progresses, as you can tell, I’m very long winded….

Thanks and apologies in advance :cheers2:,

Rick

See less See more
#259 ·
Got the driveshafts in today, man they are nice! Also got all the brake hardware and hoses in. Hope to get all installed before the weekend.

I ordered a 4wd sensor off off ebay for the 241c, thought it was super heavy for a sensor, turned out to be a GM 2.3 harmonic balancer....anyone got a need for one?

#260 ·
I ordered a 4wd sensor off off ebay for the 241c, thought it was super heavy for a sensor, turned out to be a GM 2.3 harmonic balancer....anyone got a need for one?
Ha - I'm starting to get a box of wrong parts as well. Where did you get your brake lines - seems to be two main suppliers and I have read various opinions on them. Are you happy with them? Did you figure out the extensions?

#261 ·
I have not got the front in yet, they were from Topgunz, looks like a rough country product.

Driveshafts are on... not the greatest pics...

#262 ·
yj with a v8

We bought a 90 yj and shoved an LS1 in it including the 4l60e auto tranny with a Novak conversion kit to adapt a Dana 300 for the TC. We got the flip kit installed to accommodate the drivers side drop. All of that power is pushing a set of Ford D60 with 5:13 gears. Novak was very helpful in getting us the right parts kit to do what we wanted to do.
We are in the process of doing a 5 inch rear stretch using ranger leaf springs, that we picked up at the salvage yard today. We have two pair and we are going to beef up the weak springs by disassembling them and reconstructing the spring to make a five leaf spring pack.
Someone else on the site is doing a 10 inch stretch on his YJ. He has a pretty build thread with pictures.

Good luck with your project!!

#263 ·
Photo number 1 in post #261 above. You can see the offset angle between the TC and the diff yoke in the 8.8 pumpkin. For those who haven't seen this it really doesn't seem significant enough to be an issue (and it's not). This is the only photo I have seen on the forum that demonstrates this small angle, so anyone thinking aboaut an 8.8 that is worried about the offset--there it is. No biggie. Great photo. Only way it could be better is if it was from about 15 feet above and shot straight down.

I couldn't find the green bottle in either of the photos and it's killing me. Is it there and I'm missing it? Please let me know, I can't sleep. :rofl:

#264 ·
I couldn't find the green bottle in either of the photos and it's killing me. Is it there and I'm missing it? Please let me know, I can't sleep.
come on Opihi, it's (brown bottle, I think) under the transfer case but you were focused on the sexy driveshafts!

Heh Rick - what is Topgunz - the brake line extensions or the brake line kit? What kit dod you use and were you happy with it? thanks

#265 ·
come on Opihi, it's (brown bottle, I think) under the transfer case but you were focused on the sexy driveshafts!
Woop. There it is. I will have to start wearing my reading glasses at the computer. Thanks, now I can go to sleep.......

#267 ·
i went with the crown industial ones they have on quadratec. needed something quick because i lost my patiance putting in my lift and snipped my rubber stock ones. have to say i like them for the $90 i spent.....

love ur build and have been following it for over a month now.

#268 ·
My daughter says Jeeps don't fly...:laugh:

Got the tub on for exhaust...

#269 ·
Im so ready to see this thing fire up. Any idea as to when she will be drivable?

#270 ·
I'm hoping for an early Christmas present, maybe a New years...

#274 ·
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, 33X12.5 on 11 year old chrome powdercoated black american racing wheels.

Thinking of changing the rims out for Micky Thompson sidebiters...

RIck

#275 ·
Front braka lines installed, other than exhaust, chassis is complete!!

Look at the tread on the Duratrac's..

Working on the pedal assembly, was hoping to finish before the rains came in...no luck

#276 ·
Looking real good! I wish I was closer, i'd like to see this Jeep in person! Got to love the beer hunt, it's like where's Waldo.

#277 ·
Well, let me be the first to say this is a great build (I am the first, right?). :rofl: Anyway, it is an absolutely beautiful Jeep. I'm in Houston so I may have to make the trip to see this baby someday (if you don't mind Jeep stalkers showin up). I have a 95 I want to do a frame up restore someday but I need to get a replacement one first to keep the wife happy! Continued success with the build.:cheers2:

#278 ·
Come on by !!:cheers2:

Sorry your Texans lost, not a big Cowboy fan :)thumbdown: on Cowboys)
But my Steelers did win !!!

Rains, work and a little play kept me from completing much on the build. Got the pedal assembly stripped and restored, cut the clutch pedal out, assembly was the most rusted part of the Jeep. Also got the exhaust pipe peices past the o2 sensors done.

Rain has kept me from taking the chassis to the exhaust shop, might get a chance this coming week...

#279 ·
Got some more parts in, now my somewhat evil plan is exposed:D

I'm going with a 96 corvette steering column, dash harness and gauge cluster and a few more vette dash parts. My goal is to plug everything in and simply turn the key...

I'm going to fab the dash flat to the YJ glovebox and keep the stock dash pad.

#280 ·
That dash with Vette cluster should be interesting. I just spent a little time fixing the tach circuit on my C4 that wasn't reading right. If you want to be real fancy, toss in the ZR instrument cluster, the tach goes to 8K.......of course I would imagine you don't have one just hanging around your garage.

#281 ·
No I don't and the wife is getting wise to my spending....need to be a little more low key :shhh:

#284 ·
Got a little work done before the horrible game. Still have some work to do to fab the corvette column in. It's temped in here, the steering shaft fit perfect, so did the aluminum radiator...

#285 ·
The radiator came with hose barbs for the tranny cooler, I can't run rubber hoses to the tranny can I ???

Rick

#289 ·
That's what I was thinking..got the tools for it, just need to change the barbs out on the radiator.

Got the radiator cap installed today, man that was a bi*ch, had to hold it with my right hand, keeping it perfectly level, then give 3/4 turn twist, but it fit like a glove.....:hahaha:

Cut the old dash plate up, added luann plywood for the start of my mockup dash...the 96' vette cluster sure takes up alot of space...

Here's the cap install :rofl:

And the mock plate..

#294 · (Edited)
Anybody got ideas for a electric fan? I have a Lincoln Mark8, but it's about 2 inches to thick, need something about 3 inches thick, or I'm looking at some heavy mod's on the grill. I really would like to use the Mark 8 fan...

Tommorrow it's off to the exhaust shop...
Rick

#297 ·
This fan very close to yours, but 2 inches larger. My issue with fitting is placement of the engine, using the cradle, I have 5 plus inches to move the engine back without clearance issues but lack front clearance. I need to find out if my hood will even fit the way the radiator is mounted...looks kinda high

Won't know until I get it back from exhaust shop.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.