My YJ build/adventures Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My YJ build/adventures Thread

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #91
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

dude wheres the updates! i know youve done more!

Unread 12-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #92
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't gotten around to it. ****. Maybe I can add to it today some. Gonna go to Toms house to torch some metal that is now in the way after moving the axle

Sent from my phone. Because I should be doing something more important.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #93
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Damn that front axles been a pain!
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #94
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Poor planning on my part. But it's all part of the fun

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #95
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I finally get to update everyone on OLD news. Next up after the shock towers was a tranny.. My B/A 10 was making terrible noises so I decided to hit you pull and pay for a ax-15. Found one that looked pretty good. (out of two possible donors) The Cherokee it was out of had 225,000 on the clock. But the tranny looked new and shifted smoothly into all the gears. So I was banking on it beeing rebuilt previously. I decided to put a new clutch in seeing as how I had the tranny out and needed the .75" pilot bearing tip anyways. Clocked the ouput housing on it threw it in there along with the mated transfer case. Had to modify the transfer case shift linkage due to the cherokee ax-15. Nothing major. Did a final check started it up all was good. Took her out for a spin around the block. Shifted fine up until 3rd gear..... It would shift into it just fine but as soon as the gas was touched it would pop right back out.

Said the hell with it. Drove it like that for a couple wheeling trips. But ultimately ended up undertaking a rebuild. If you look closely you can see that the tip of my 3-4 shift fork is broken off.

Found my problem...
This is what a good set of holding teeth looks like:

AND this is what my 3rd gears holding teeth looked like:

As you can see the teeth are rounded on the one side and the synchro is all chewed up. This caused the shift collar to slip off of the holding teeth as soon as torque was applied. The shift collar was worn as well.

Honestly the rebuild was not nearly as hard as I though it would be. I used Mean Max's guide and all went well. Have 5000 miles on the tranny and all is still going well. The hardest part of it was assembling the case halves after rebuilding it. Other than that its all organization a few snap rings and you're done.

Unread 03-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #96
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Been slacking on this thing. So heres some more of my photobucket.

Added a hand throttle. Not the best pic. But honestly this ones easy to figure out on your own.

Did a little light wheeling to test things out then it was on to the next project. Boat Sliders!!

Just marked it off.

And cut if off.

Notice the abundance of rust. I cleaned and sealed as much as I could with this project.

Got the sliders all fitted up.

And the finished product.

I only put small beads on the sliders rather than a full bead. This was partly due to not wanting to use up all that wire. But also this is not structural and does not need full welds.

Tested it out some:

An F12 poser shot.

Unread 03-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #97
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes! Love them boat sliders.. Makes me want to attempt such a thing on this gayk
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #98
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your build is awesome and I've enjoyed going through it. I admire your trek across country with it and fixing it on the road.

Keep up the good work!

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #99
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank You Louie. Means a lot. I've put a lot into the build. And could not be happier.

A big thanks goes out to the forum. The knowledge here made it all possible. I think even one or two of those posts used were yours.

Unread 03-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #100
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Photobucket says I built my OBA next. Not really sure of the the order at this point so I'll just throw some pictures on here and talk about them. Sound good? Good.

OBA!! Fully integrated into my luggage rack.

Next up I decided I needed an engine skid. I got the idea from one of the forums and made it my own. Adding a little reinforcement of my own.

After a little rock crawling one weekend I realized it was time for some of these.

For these:

I ended up with this. Reason for all of the work was with the boat sliders I bent the snot out of my body mounts so I added the gussets to prevent that.

It worked. But I then took it out in this:

And found out that the body mount gussets collect mud really well. At least I'm in New Mexico and the rust concern doesn't really bother me at all anymore.

A little TLC with a pressure washer does a YJ some good.

Unread 03-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #101
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes! That mud was ****ty.
Unread 03-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #102
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What you posting on JF for? Shouldn't you be out building ****?

Unread 03-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #103
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time to expand on my luggage rack / tire carrier / OBA holder some.
Enter Jerry Cans!!

A few detailed pics of the engine skid installed.

Time to put the new skid to work.

I developed death wobble somewhere along the way. So I updated my steering an effort to fix it

Before:

After:

What I basically did was move the draglink mounting point from the tabs on the tie rod to the passenger side knuckle. This gave me a better draglink angle. I also moved the draglink to under the pitman arm. This helped greatly as well. Still had some death wobble tho. But only if I really pushed my luck. I later found the cause of my death wobble. I had a couple loose-ish u bolts on the front axle. tightened them up and have been trouble free since.

The long awaited trip to Moab was near. Only problem was that it was COLD. And I have no way to put a soft top and windows on it. SO I got creative.

I used another soft top cut it up and with a little help from some zipties and a metal door jam I was ready to roll. The only downside is the gap on the top of the door. But other than that it really turned out well. And it worked pretty well too.

Unread 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #104
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

8 hours of travel and one sore can later. MOAB!!

We we're taking the Lockhart Basin Trail into moab from the south. Hurrah Pass^^^

I don't have very many Moab pictures to show off. Mainly because I really ran into some problems up there. First up a burnt and slipping alternator belt.

Let the misses drive a bit:

The plan was to take the Poison Spider and Golden Spike trail to Southern Canyonlands. But after 14 miles or so I noticed some oil under the middle of the jeep. Found the source to be the tranny. I had oil coming out from somewhere near the mount. Basically I **** a BRICK at this point in time. My options were to order new case halves or have it welded locally. Either route was going to cost me some money. Threw another quart of oil in the tranny.

Then turned around and headed back towards Moab to take care of this problem. I was PISSED. 2 or 3 miles later I see steam, look down and my temp gauge was pegged high. I immediately shut it off. Jumped out and found my radiator boiling over. ****!!! This is just great. Turns out that after some troubleshooting my electric fan motor bit the dust. PERFECT! I was a sitting duck. I let it cool. Started it up and drove MAYBE 200 yards and had to shut it down to keep from overheating again. The slow going on the rocks in the sun was killing my plan.

I needed a plan B...

Cut.

Drilled

Then strapped this thing to the water pump pulley and off we were.

It over heated again on the way back in a real slow crawling area. So I put the old cowl back on to add some suction and it worked like a charm. In fact the electric fan to pulley fan mod stayed on all the way back to Albuquerque and another month or so before I replaced it. It's still sitting on my shelf in the garage. Good conversation piece.

The YJ wanted to make it's mark on the Moab rock.

Unread 03-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #105
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome! Did you put heims in place of all the TRE's?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.