My YJ build/adventures Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My YJ build/adventures Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #46
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright as promised an update to my build thread. So the past few weeks have been spent working on my actual build. Between work school and life it has honestly been a struggle to find time to wok on the YJ. HOWEVER things have been getting done. I will give you all a run through of my lift the past few weeks.

So I was at Costco the other day and on my way out I saw two TJ's parked off all by themselves in the back of the parking lot. So what better to do than to park next to them for a quick poser shot:

After a brief crawl under each and look around both I was on my way.

The final few days of the unbuilt YJ were used for poser shots. For example this shot taken the day I got my 35 spline Mouser shafts.

The quarter reference pics:

I know there BEEFY!!

Time to gt that 9" prepped. I got a little a head of myself here. I primed the axle before I welded the perches to it. No big deal just have to grind some primer when its time to add the perches.

I just couldn't help myself. It looked so goo sitting on the workbench I just needed to add some primer. I also kind of screwed myself. When I put the permatex on the third member I just put the regular non hardening gasket goop rather than the ultra black which is supposed to be the Bees Knees. So I pulled it back apart and replaced the goop with some ultra black. Probably didn't have to but if I got it all together and it leaked I would have been pissed!

A quick pre-cluster **** shot of my newly built shop. We just moved into this place and I knew I needed something to work on the Jeep So I threw this all together in a day. I'm most impressed with the workbench. It came out great.

A while back my right rear taillight went out after opening it up to replace the bulb and EVERYTHING was rusted out in there I decided to get some LED taillights. Instead of getting the round ones like everyone gets I decided to try something different. I went with some square ones. I thought they would match the square headlights and boy do the ever! They look awesome! If I do say so myself.

BUT in pure excitement of doing the LED taillight swap I put the taillights in before the primer was dried and kind of screwed that all up. So this is me re-doing my work.

I used a dremmel, a cutoff wheel and a flap disk to make the holes. The flap disc works great to smooth out the edges. An actual LED taillight shot is yet to come.

Got my NEW waggy springs in from General Spring today.

Along with my perches form Poly performance. The perches are awesome for those looking to stay SUA. They are low profile to get maximum lift. and hade offset holes to stretch a little too.

A quick couple of before pics. (these are the hardest to get)
My rear dirve shaft.

My old tcase skidplate. Notice the use of solid wire to hold the exhaust up. Its a nice touch I think.

The soundbar I bought for the jeep has been giving me some trouble the past few months. When I turn the radio up high enough to hear it on the road there is an annoying buzzing coming from the speakers. But if you put your hand on the mounting surface it stops. So I thought now would be a good time build a solid well insulated speaker bar.

(little did I know this project would be pushed WAAAAYYYY to the back)

Got my SYE kit in from JB conversions.

Time to start in on the tcase SYE.

The JB SYE output shaft (left) and the OEM one.

Got it all buttoned back up. Look at how shiny it is.

The SYE kit took me two nights after work to complete. About 8 hours. but that includes cleaning the case and getting side tracked. Overall it was not too bad. I did however have to cut my fork rod down a little. (89 tcase)No bigge but I wanted to make sure it was right before I cut it.

Once that was done it was time to remove the flares.

A little rust. Nothing too concerning. Actually REAL good for a WI vehicle.

I think it's time to replace my motor mounts?

The new ones are a 1" motor mount lift form Brown Gog. They look to be great mounts.

Time to drop the tank.

Got my new TJ head pipe.

This will get rid of the stupid under the tranny YJ exhaust piping.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #47
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This was a HUGE turning point for my build!!!

It's a wheel adapter. Only one mind you. You see the original plan for my build was to do it in stages. The first stage (this one) was going to be new waggy springs all around to stretch the wheelbase by 6" total. Get my 9" under the rear. SYE conversion to the tcase with a new rear driveshaft. A flat belly skid and a MML. Add some new 35" MTR/Ks trim the fenders and wheel it. It would only be 2WD because the dana 30 with 3.07s was going to stay until stage 2. The wheel adapters were to allow room for the 35's to move around, and to match the width to the full width 9" in the rear. Also new wheels were needed because the 9" molt patter was 5 on 5.5 not 5 on 4.5 like the stock YJs are. I didn't want to run around with two bolt patterns so I chose the adapters.

BUT I only got ONE wheel adapter. For $80. Non refundable...

So the choice was made very quickly to do stage 2 a little early. As in with stage 1. Looks like I'll be getting TWO new axles. WOOHOO!!!

This is getting EXPENSIVE

So out comes the dana 35.

(This was done in a fit of rage over the single wheel adapter)

A shot of the underside, and the BOOO! Ba/10

Here is a quick side by side comparison of seemingly 4" lift springs and the Waggy springs.

Just about 2" longer

1.5" lower

And a 2" offset pin. Hence the stretch

Here it is the first mock up of the Ford 9". I like how it almost glows.

DAMN thats WIDE

Heres a little side note: When purchasing Waggy springs or grabbing them from the scrap yard they use different bushings than the YJ does. SEE:

You have to remove these and put the YJ bushings in for things to work right.
Now this was a royal PITA. A map gas torch, a sawzall, a hammer, and a chisel were required to remove the old bushings.

YUP still Shiny. Not quite sure why I put this back in for this picture.

OHH. The dreaded rusted body mount removal procedure. Only had four real bad ones. 4 out of 11 isn't too bad. Right?

Somewhere along this point I realized I wanted to clean the entire underside of the Jeep tub AND frame. Then prime and under body coat the whole thing. Just to fresher er up a bit.

Removed the rusted rotted floor section under the drivers feet.

Fred Flinstone would be jealous of this ride

Wanted to check the plugs quick to make sure my engine wasnt going. Things look good. A little crud on #3. But I believe thats form all the carb cleaner I have been feeding her lately.

TADA!!!! Everyone meet my new front axle. Its a High Pinion Dada 44 out of a 78 F150.

I really lucked out with this one. Went on craigslist. Found it. The guy was asking $500 for it. Drove there gave him $360 and drove it back.Good buy in my book. And now I can stop worrying about finding my HP D44.

There it is getting cleaned up and taken apart.

Remember I said I was cleaning the entire underside of the YJ. Well this is what you look like while doing just that.

This is pretty miserable work. But I have to do it!

After wire wheeling for almost a week straight I wanted a new project. My shroudless stock clutch fan was not getting the job done. I read that a Ford Taurus fan pulls some serious air so why not put one in my YJ?

Well heres why.

It don't fit. My big old radiator with a Taurus fan wont fit between the grill and the motor. So it was time to fab!!!

The first thing I did was cut off a paint stir sticks width around the entire shroud.

The test fitting device

I knew it was time to work my amateur fabrication skills. Heres the result.

IT FITS!!! with 1/2" to spare. Its not pretty but it will work.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #48
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got my Black Magic brake kit in for the 44

Lets see how these things work

This is what you hands look like when you are preforming an axle swap, resto, YJ build in your garage.

Notice the missing cuticle. Came from getting that 44.

The point of no return....

AKA. HP D44 test fit.

The workspace. It's getting cluttered up.

Here's a shot of the old tank skid. It's rusted through in a few places. The original plan was to add some angle iron reinforcement to it. But Its in rough shape. So A Warrior Products tank skid was ordered instead.

Either skid will have to be modified to allow for the stretch.

OH man! Here.s what happens when you are drilling a 1/2" flat belly skid mounting hole with a 18V cordless and the bit catches when you least expect it...

Good thing I was wearing safety glasses

Time to start on the flat belly skid. Measure the mounting holes. Drill them. (in the correct places) and start tacking the frame together.

And pretty soon you have a flat belly skid frame built.

Throw some sheet metal on there. Hold it with a vice grip, and a c clamp or two.

Mark and cut off excess.

Now things start to take shape.

Counter sunk holes to hide the bolt heads.

Keep in mind I am doing all of this with minimal tools. Angle grinder, drill, and borrowed 120V wire welder form work. Ans as to be expected with minimal tools come technical difficulties:

Add a little beef.

Prime the inside of the channel:

Get the tranny mounting holes cut in it.

Tack on the mounting plates.

Then wait until a friend who knows how to weld can finish it up with some good beads.

All in all the flat skid plate was pretty easy. Pretty straight forward. And should do the trick. And this thing is heavy duty. Should hold up to a lot. Better it weights 86 pounds.

Unread 04-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #49
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice update. Got your PM's.

Next time you need any Black Magic Stuff, let me know. I see Blaine regularly.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #50
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help Joe. And note taken on the Black Magic tip. But by the time I need new pads I'll probably have forgotten. Lol

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Unread 04-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #51
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Keep it up....Looks good
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #52
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright it's been a while since I've updated my status. So here we go.

Getting the 9" under to take a look at how she looks with it under there.

Mocking up the tires to get a feel for how ittl look.

Looks like I'll have to cut some...

After a bit of mid build debating I decided to go the extra mile and make it an official frame off resto/build.

Was able to find a rust free NM frame locally for $250. STEAL!!!

The Neighbors love me btw.

My frame prepping area. Cut off all of the unnecessary brackets. Shock, tracbar, sway bar, and rear cross member. More on the cross member to come.

Still trying to find out how to work this grinder.

My "house of sand is turning into a CASTLE!!!!" ....With a moat.

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #53
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time to put a dimple in the tank skid to allow my stretch. This one hurt a little. Cutting into a $200 skid stings. I wish my old skid was structurally sound enough to get the job done. Sorry that its rotated 90 degrees.

Walah!! Pretty stout.

This part felt like it took FOREVER!!

Body is off. Full frame prep underway. Body prep. And I knew I had SOO much more to do. Yet

Here's how the body sat for a few weeks. Got it good and clean underneath tho. The hole in the floor is to get me over 120 HP.

This is what the garage looked like when **** hit the fan.

Wishing I had a 2 car garage.

My new toy.

Moved the spring hangers to give me additional stretch. Turns out that was not the best idea...

I FINALLY got the body ready.

AND the frame. Time for the SWAP!!

Got the body on the frame.

SEVERELY threw my back out in the process. We went with the grab some buddies n grunt the tub onto the frame technique. I had split some gear oil on the floor the day prior. Threw some chemdry onto it and called it good. It was not. When we were shuffling the body over the frame I stepped on it with one foot. Lost my balance almost fell on my *** holding the body. But was able to recover. For the next month I was hobbling around. Oddly enough the only time it felt OK was when I was working on the YJ.

Anyways.

Once the body was on the frame I caught my second ... Maybe 3rd wind.

The rear crossmember I fabbed up was designed to allow the rear shackle to move more freely. So I notched it a little to allow that.

BUT the shackle was hitting on the bottom soooo...

Heres a shot of what it looks like when done.

At this point I hit another big turning point. With my waggy springs and the spring hangers moved my shackle angle was too flat. I would only see MAYBE 2" of uptravel. This is why I said earlier I made a mistake moving the spring hangers. (3.5" in the rear and 1.5" up front). I needed a shorter spring. The waggy springs are 2+ inches longer eye to eye and I needed to bring the eyes in to fix that.

So I went with BDS.

3.5" BDS vs the waggy springs. My guess is that the waggy springs would have flexed better. They were noticeably softer than the BDS springs are. But I'll never know. If anyone is looking for a set of waggy springs I know a guy with a set.

More to come. Need to snap some more pictures to continue tho....

Unread 06-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #54
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The pace starts to pick up a little here. And less pictures were taken. Which is completely my fault. I apologize to my fellow JF members for slacking off in this department. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. I can give details of any part of this build.

So I got me a nice new $500+ pair of BDS springs. Installed them and ran into some problems. The military wrap was interfering with my rear crossmember clearance area. I already had the new plate welded on and was not 100% comfortable cutting more away. SO I opted for plan B.

Now I have enough room.

Ran into the same problem a little farther down the road in the front. (outboarded spring kit)

If I ever break a main leaf I'll be pissed at myself. But until them lets see how it holds up.

It's so small!!

Now that the springs are on it was time to get some axles under there. Got the perches welded on and the axles painted up.

SEXYYY!!

In the process of painting the axles I decided it was time to update my under hood wiring. Mainly my aux relays and suck.

It was also time to install that air locker I've been drooling over for the past couple months.

Got the rear under it.

Won't have to cut as much. But still will have to cut.

Got my exhaust hung

Got my disc brake conversion all set up.

Now that the rear is on I feel as if I have to show a little love for the front.

This is the easy part. The hard part is getting the hub on properly and torquing that damn spindle nut... Multiple times.

Unread 06-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #55
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Later that night I got my passengers side hub all put together. So I HAD to see what it'd look like with a tire on it. Pretty GOOD!

Next project up. Dring Mounts.

These things a HEAVY DUTY. I hope thew stay on If I ever need to use em.

In between projects my JK driving roommate needed a hand with misc projects he was working on. After all he didn't want to be left out of all the fun.
Here's Some control arms we made to stretch his rear a little.

What better time than now to trim that rear fender I've been meaning to get around to.

Look's good.

ZIP!

Before.

The front tires are on at this point and the driveshafts are being installed. Only I ran into a small problem. With the flat skid I ran into some clearance problems with my CV joint. SO BFH time! Again. this time I wail on the thing for quite some time. Now it fits.

Seeing as how I live in New Mexico where it's pretty hot. It was time for a hood vent.

Finished product to come.

Unread 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #56
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Damn you got so much done! You do good work man, It's going to be do bad *** when it done!!!

Few questions. What size tires are those? 35s or 37s?

Now that you moved your spring hangers what's our final wheelbase? It looks like you have 3.5" front stretch and 3.5" rear stretch with waggy fronts and YJ 3.5" BDS rears right? What's the plan for steering? At 3.5" front stretch that might be a little to much for the stock steering box location.

Can't wait to see it done!

Sent from my broke *** IPhone
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just the whole thing! Awesome job so far

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #58
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Damn you got so much done! You do good work man, It's going to be do bad *** when it done!!!

Few questions. What size tires are those? 35s or 37s?

Now that you moved your spring hangers what's our final wheelbase? It looks like you have 3.5" front stretch and 3.5" rear stretch with waggy fronts and YJ 3.5" BDS rears right? What's the plan for steering? At 3.5" front stretch that might be a little to much for the stock steering box location.

Can't wait to see it done!

35's. I already half wish I had gone 37. But that's unfair seeing as how I haven't even wheeled it yet. Wheel base is right at about 100". It has about 4" in the rear and 2.5-3 up front.

Trying some different things with the steering I will report back when I find a solution. Right now the tire hits the fender up there without the pitman arm hitting the diff. But I will need to test things out a little more. I have a waggy pit man arm for it to combat my loss of turning radius. Also it's flatter so that should help the stretched steering issue out some too. If things don't go as planned the perches allow me to move the axle back 1.5" or 3" to fix it in then end if all else fails.

Yup. 3.5" BDS. PERFECT for 35's IMO.

Unread 06-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #59
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Just the whole thing! Awesome job so far
Thanks man. I appreciate it. It's been a lot of work. I am happy to see it finally taking shape.

Unread 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #60
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489

35's. I already half wish I had gone 37. But that's unfair seeing as how I haven't even wheeled it yet. Wheel base is right at about 100". It has about 4" in the rear and 2.5-3 up front.

Trying some different things with the steering I will report back when I find a solution. Right now the tire hits the fender up there without the pitman arm hitting the diff. But I will need to test things out a little more. I have a waggy pit man arm for it to combat my loss of turning radius. Also it's flatter so that should help the stretched steering issue out some too. If things don't go as planned the perches allow me to move the axle back 1.5" or 3" to fix it in then end if all else fails.

Yup. 3.5" BDS. PERFECT for 35's IMO.
Well you basically have 37s since the MT/R K run actual size unlike most tires.

One thing, make sure you cut off the little plates on the front outside of the frame in this pic.

They were for shipping when the frames were new and being shipped to the factory. They do nothing for the frame now but hold water and rust. Even on my 100 percent rust free mint CA frame, when I cut those plates off I found a little rust forming...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.