My YJ build/adventures Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My YJ build/adventures Thread

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #31
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
But loving every second of it!
And thats the important part If we didnt we would all be driving a prius

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I like what your doing. I knew nothing about jeeps till about a month ago when I got a bug for one and stayed up too late one night on craigslist. $2600 later and a trip south of Madison "in a snow storm" I had a jeep. OMG there is no turning back now. I have already bought parts and changed my mind 10 times and sold parts and changed my mind some more and still really lack any idea of what direction I'm going, but its a labor of love I guess. Mostly the thought of I think I can do this is what drives me. See, I lost my arm 6 years ago in a rock crusher at work, and being a guy who used his hands for everything needs a project to show I still got it. I see you noticed my little mess in the basement. That started with a idea I had 4 years ago for a prosthetic wrist and tools. With no machining experience what so ever, I drove myself to learn how through internet machining forums and a Cabelas Visa credit card to design this..... http://www.midwestprocad.com/locking-wrists/

I'm still crushing rocks and paying on credit cards so this new venture will be a long one for me, but none the less exciting for sure.

Alright, lets **** some shilt up!!!!

Matt
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about the accident man. But you seem to be making the best out of it. Impressive design. Should help a lot of people in your position. And that's very cool. A family friend had polio as a kid and cannot use half of his body. But that hasn't slowed him down. GREAT guy.

Good luck on the YJ . My advice: Take your time and figure out how you want it to be as a whole. Then hone in on what YOU really want out of it. And go for it! Research research research before making any choices. Then contradict the choice to finally decide on it. That will make things less stressful and get you in the right direction. Again good luck. I know it's hard work. But we'll worth it Imo. Hopefully soon I'll be able to sit down and get some updated pictures into my build thread.

Take care,
Tyler

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #34
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I see your going with a 9 and a 44. I got a 8.8 that has 3.73's, that would need to be re geared no matter what. I did pick up a F250 D60 and D44 with 4.10's.

If I would keep the 8.8, I would need to narrow the 44 and re hub it 5-5.5.

So I'm going to build the D60 D44 full width and get offset 8 lug 16.5 hummer wheels I think. Go big or go home right.
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That was my plan for a while. 16.5 hummer wheels and 37's. But then I got to thinking I will be driving it on road to the trails and those wheels are heavy and not ballance worth a witch's tit. So aluminum wheels n 35's it is.

But if you wheel close to home or have a trailer HMMWV wheels are the way to go. Hands down. And yes go big or go home. Also do it right and do it once

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #36
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you considered doing a full frame swap? Now that your in NM there should be tons of solid frames for around 300-500. It's really not hard to do and can be done in a few days if you work at it. IMO you can not permanently fix a rotted out frame, once you patch it, it will just keep rusting away and it's really not worth the time or money to fix a rusted frame. You should really consider it, especially if you plan to make long drives with it to Moab a what not for safety reasons. Jeeps frames are unlike any other "truck" frame, if your YJ is from any of the northern states that use salt in the winter it's pretty much a sure thing it will have frame rot.

Your doing good so far!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm. No haven't considered it. But that's a pretty good idea! I'll add that one to the bucket list. Hmmm. Now you have me thinking about stuff I don't need. Lol You think it would really be that much stronger?? I could do it now while I have it completely apart?

Unread 03-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #38
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489
Hmmm. No haven't considered it. But that's a pretty good idea! I'll add that one to the bucket list. Hmmm. Now you have me thinking about stuff I don't need. Lol You think it would really be that much stronger?? I could do it now while I have it completely apart?

From the looks of it a good solid frame is one thing you really do need. If that's what it looks like at the front around the steering gear it's not long before the rear shackle area rots out as well. Yes I will be much stronger, a good jeep starts with a good frame because its the base for everything else. If you think about it, doing a frame swap really isn't that much work, just make sure you have a buddy or two around to help lift stuff and wrench!

Not hating, just trying to help and give advice from my previous experiences.
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #39
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Found a rust free new Mexico 6 cylinder frame locally for $250. Going to take your advice and swap um. Might as well. Plus I have a $130 frame repair section laying around I can return or sell. Sounds like a no brained to me

Unread 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #40
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Found a rust free new Mexico 6 cylinder frame locally for $250. Going to take your advice and swap um. Might as well. Plus I have a $130 frame repair section laying around I can return or sell. Sounds like a no brained to me

Good choice man! Make sure you feel the inside of that frame and make sure there's no flaking by if its really a NM frame there shouldn't be. I'm very jealous of where you live! I have to pay 700 for a AZ frame here in MI!

Unread 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Will do. I'm going to fully coat the inside too with some thinned out rust prohibiting type primer. Got that idea from a writeup I read.

Thanks for the idea. I want it to be around a long time. And this is exactly what I need to do to make that happen.

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #42
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good choice. I looked for a frame but couldnt find anything for less than a grand around here and anything good and cheaper would have cost a mint in gas. So in my situation, also being on a time limit, I figured, spend the money on welder and do it myself for the same price.

But if I had to do it again. I would just build a frame from scratch or find a good stock one. I am still extremely happy with how mine is turning out.

You do good work, keep it up....cant wait to see how the YJ turns out.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #43
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates on a new frame or anything?

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #44
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Any updates on a new frame or anything?

Yea I got the frame for $250 fully equipped with rust free with brake and fuel lines. Also got a tail pipe that I'll be in need of in a few weeks.

Haven't done much since then. Except wash all the sand out of the inside of the frame. It is CLEAN. Not a bit of rust on it.

As far as the build thread. I think tomorrow I'll sit down and get some more pictures and info uploaded for you guys. I'm currently uploading approximately 120 pictures to photo bucket to dump into this thread. (I hope you have good internet) I think I've been the busiest guy in Albuquerque the past week and haven't had time to contribute to the thread. That will change

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #45
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yea I got the frame for $250 fully equipped with rust free with brake and fuel lines. Also got a tail pipe that I'll be in need of in a few weeks.

Haven't done much since then. Except wash all the sand out of the inside of the frame. It is CLEAN. Not a bit of rust on it.

As far as the build thread. I think tomorrow I'll sit down and get some more pictures and info uploaded for you guys. I'm currently uploading approximately 120 pictures to photo bucket to dump into this thread. (I hope you have good internet) I think I've been the busiest guy in Albuquerque the past week and haven't had time to contribute to the thread. That will change
Awesome man! Good deal too. I just paid $700 for a Cali frame but I live in MI so that's what they go for. I can't believe how clean the stuff stays out west, after I power washed my frame it looked like it was literally new from MOPAR. When do you plan to start the swap?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.