My YJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My YJ Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiSmoking Deal on Jeep Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit with rear 13

Unread 05-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ Build

Back in September of 2012 I traded a '66 CJ-5 for a bone stock YJ. The CJ5 was cool, lifted on 32s and I did some extensive rust repair, but it was poorly lifted, carb'd and just not the best Jeep for the trails around here.

Bye Bye CJ5

Hello YJ!
550438_3789849115950_1019030048_n by Dukeryder, on Flickr

My Girlfriend and I took the Jeep up on the Bunce School Rd. Trail when I first got for a test run. Quickly found out 4wd didnt' work

Found out someone drained the TC and couldn't get the fill plug off so they just ran it empty. Luckily for me I just replaced the pads on the mode fork put in new fluid and it was all good.

With the shot leaf springs, shocks and tie rods, I purchased a 2" Lift from BDS and some Rusty's HD Steerign linkages and installed. The stock wheels looked like hell and the BFG "Long Trail TAs" didn't offer up much traction so I swapped those out for some 31" Kenda Klevers mounted up to "Ravine" wheels

[IMG]IMG_3225 by Dukeryder, on Flickr[/IMG]

Took it on a few trail runs in that configuration and decided I needed a locker. I scored a new spartan on eBay cheap so in it went.
IMG_2816 by Dukeryder, on Flickr
locker by Dukeryder, on Flickr
axle install by Dukeryder, on Flickr
IMG_3224 by Dukeryder, on Flickr

Took it on some more trail runs, but the 3.07 gearing with the 31s was really annoying.
Jeep by Dukeryder, on Flickr

Rather than re-gearing, I opted to swap in an 8.8 with 4.11s from an Expoloder. Swapping in a better front axle wasn't in the budget, so I had that regeared with 4.10s.
IMG_3223 by Dukeryder, on Flickr

Locker, Gears and 31s helped out a lot on more difficult trail runs.

Still with 31s I was dragging stuff and getting hung up on rocks from time to time. So I upgraded to 33s. Going to 33s I wasn't able to bolt the spare to the tail gate any longer either so I purchased a custom swing away from Dirt Works.
[IMG]image by Dukeryder, on Flickr[/IMG]

Going to the 33s, I decided that to get even better ground clearance I wanted to do away with the TC drop, so I picked up a JB Conversion SYE and a Tattons Drive shaft.
Untitled by Dukeryder, on Flickr
by Dukeryder, on Flickr

After doing all those mods, the Jeep was getting to the point that I had a lot of money into but it kinda looked like a P.O.S. The cowl had cracked up bondo, there driver's floor pan was riveted thin sheetmetal, and the rockers were rotted pretty bad. So as much as I hate auto body, I started in on the rust.
image by Dukeryder, on Flickr.
image by Dukeryder, on Flickr
new floor!
IMG_3226 by Dukeryder, on Flickr

My front fenders were shot so I bought some tube fenders from CCFABs out of Arizona which look sweet. To protect the body, I installed some body armor (it's Chinese junk from e-Autogrilles, but it'll do the job).

I don't have any pics of all the body work (I hate sanding and painting so I wasn't stopping to take pix along the way), but here's the finished results:
IMG_3214 by Dukeryder, on Flickr
IMG_3215 by Dukeryder, on Flickr
IMG_3220 by Dukeryder, on Flickr.
IMG_3221 by Dukeryder, on Flickr

I primed it with Dupli-Color, the Paint Shop system SUCKS, but they have some Surface Primer that you have to thin with acetone and it works a lot better. The color is from paintforcars.com and is Starfire Urethane Omaha Orange and cleared with Finish 1 Urethane clear. This paint job is far from show quality but it'll be just fine for a trail rig like mine.

I'm still not quite finished yet, I need to have my new exhaust installed and I have some Chromoly Ted Factory axles on the way.

dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet build Man I really like the orange and black.
Killswitch505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
absintheisfun

I really like the color combo! Any drive train mods, or are your running stock motor/trans?
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I really like that color combo as well. Did you keep your inner front fenders or did the new ones come with their own?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
theCREECH
2000 WJ 

that's awesome! I love the YJ in that color. The whole thing looks really nice
theCREECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absintheisfun View Post
I really like the color combo! Any drive train mods, or are your running stock motor/trans?
100% Stock Engine and Trans. Maybe in the future I'll do a swap or install a stroker, but these 4.0s are so reliable I'd hate to mess with a good thing.

I got my Ten Factory shafts in last weekend and a new exhaust today.

I had "Boulder Muffler" install my Flowmaster and bend up a new tail pipe, Jeff does a hell of a good job and if you're in the Boulder Area I highly recommend him. Exhaust work is such a PITA it's one thing I don't mind subbing out.
Untitled by Dukeryder, on Flickr

by Dukeryder, on Flickr

The Ten Factory One Piece Axles went in easy, I did F' up and put the seal too far in on the long shaft side (didn't realize there was no race to stop it ) so off to NAPA to pick up that 11800 seal, I'm running 2 on that side now, plus the old CAD side seal and the Ten Factory Tube end debris seals so hopefully with that redundancy will keep all oil and and water out.
by Dukeryder, on Flickr
by Dukeryder, on Flickr
by Dukeryder, on Flickr
by Dukeryder, on Flickr
Figured on some New U-Joints in the front driveshaft while I was under there
by Dukeryder, on Flickr
Unread 05-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got out there and wheeled it last weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.