My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
97RustBucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Hey guys! The time has come for my TMR long arm kit install. This is by far the biggest project I've taken on so preeeeety I'm fired up to do this

So the details!
I'm using these two kits:
http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1276
http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1277

***Here's the link to the album, for those who want all the pictures all at once, plus tons more. http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/sl...?sort=3&page=1***

on my 2000 TJ. It's got an 8.8 rear and a D44 front. Somewhere around 4 inches of suspension lift. OME shocks.

The ride quality has been... stiff, and the rear end binds like crazy when flexing.. twice breaking the upper control arm mounts off the frame. First, when simply driving on Hwy 401, the second, bombing around in the pits.

passengers side

and the remaining drivers side was about to let off

So I figured, F it. I'm going for it.

BOOM

SO now for the fun stuff.
Started pulling the rear axle. It didn't take too long for me to run into problems. The lower shock mount bolts were impossible to turn, both my impact gun and by breaker bar. After reasonable amount of time trying to undue the bolts, I decided to cut 'em off.

Finally, got the axle out. Control arms had no real problems coming out... a little persuasion from the multi-angle swing press did the trick.

axle out! I was daydreaming about the truss and had it resting on the axle.

ohhhh can't wait

quite the mess..

And now the disaster. Discovered the reaaaaal soft spot in the frame is softer than I had thought. Prying against it was a bad idea. Another thing for the to do list.

This is as far as I got on day 1. half the brackets rough cut off.

More to come.. I'll try to do nightly updates.

If I'm doing something dumb, or missing/overlooking something please let me know!

Way too excited!

Last edited by 97RustBucket; 06-22-2014 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: added album link
97RustBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hope you plan on plating the bad section of frame and looking for anymore. I'd take care of all the rust while you're at it and do this the right way. Once you're all done and have a nice, clean strong Jeep again do your best to keep it that way. Keep the frame touched up and clean inside and out.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Martyls
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that's quite an undertaking for the driveway! I hope you get it back together relatively quick. My "couple of day projects" usually take a couple of months.
Martyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
97RustBucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I hope you plan on plating the bad section of frame and looking for anymore. I'd take care of all the rust while you're at it and do this the right way. Once you're all done and have a nice, clean strong Jeep again do your best to keep it that way. Keep the frame touched up and clean inside and out.
OHHHHHH yeah. Frame is getting fixed. I'm galvanizing and painting the frame and axles while I do this. May as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyls View Post
Wow, that's quite an undertaking for the driveway! I hope you get it back together relatively quick. My "couple of day projects" usually take a couple of months.
Ah so far its treated me fairly well. A hoist would be sweet for the grinding but it has been fine so far.
Unread 06-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
97RustBucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Day 2!

OK so here we go with day 2. Bit of a slow day.. had a few friends stop by to distract me. BUT, I was able to cleanly remove all brackets from the axle, and the frame...

And after banging the LCA mounts off, I discovered the true state of my frame

HOWEVER, the rest of the frame thus far, including where the new CA mounts are going, is actually pretty mint

....under the rust lol

aaaaaand thats about as far as I got today. Weak, I know. But a quick frame repair and then the axle can be positioned back under... WOOHOO!

but this is as she sits for tonight.

Unread 06-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you planning on stretching at all, or outboarding your shocks?
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
97RustBucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvihill64 View Post
Are you planning on stretching at all, or outboarding your shocks?
Unfortunately not. I wish I could, but I only have 10 days to do this whole thing before I need it on the road again. (Its my DD)

problem being, the rear diff smacks the gas tank skid plate when either going over a good speed bump or flexing. It's smashed a good indent in the skid plate and is kinda... making space for itself. no room to move back. As for front end, I don't want to get into any crazy steering issues right now. I plan on going hydro assist but even with that a stretch would mess with it too much. I'm happy with just LA.

I questioned outboarding shocks. I was told by some that theres no reason to, as the shock follows a pretty good arc as is. My thinking is... why would anyone do it then? There's gotta be a reason.

Short answer, is no.. for now. I still need springs and shocks eventually. The wallet oil canned when I bought this kit hahaha. One step at a time.
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97RustBucket View Post

I questioned outboarding shocks. I was told by some that theres no reason to, as the shock follows a pretty good arc as is. My thinking is... why would anyone do it then? There's gotta be a reason.
Outboarded mine to make room for longer travel shocks. I want to say it feels more stable now, like there's not as much body roll on the road... But who knows how much of that is psychological because I spent so much time, effort, and money on the project.

Bottom line, 12 inch shocks are a breeze if you outboard the rear.
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
97RustBucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
Outboarded mine to make room for longer travel shocks. I want to say it feels more stable now, like there's not as much body roll on the road... But who knows how much of that is psychological because I spent so much time, effort, and money on the project.

Bottom line, 12 inch shocks are a breeze if you outboard the rear.
LOL yeah fair enough. Hmmmmm... maybe when I do the shocks I'll look into doing that a little more indepth. I have to determine frame integrity at that point before i do that... for sure. It can always be repaired but I need to account for time more than anything.

Sounds awesome though.
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
97RustBucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OOOOOKAY so here we go

So today was a really productive day. It all started out with the big gaping holes that were all over the one section of my frame. I used 1/4 plate steel to make some patches. For now, I only did the inside of the frame where it would be a PITA with the control arms in the way, just for the sake of time.

Before

after

woohoo! strength once again. NOW, onto the fun stuff.

I cleaned up the entire axle with a wire wheel in preparation for paint. May as well!

once that was done, I moved onto the frame brackets. what I had ALMOST done was totally f*ck them up. Somehow, I didnt notice the t case skid isnt just straight across, it actually has an indent in the passenger side. Glad I noticed!

So now that those are tacked on, Time to turn my attention to the axle again.
Got the LCA brackets tacked on, as well as the truss. Centered the axle via plumb bob, then used a straight edge from the frame brackets to figure out where exactly the axle brackets should line up. I'm sure theres a more technical way to do it, but meh this worked well for me.

Now here's the weird ****.
My 8.8 is actually offset, so the pinion is lined up center to the vehicle, making the axle itself offset, requiring a wheel spacer on the one side. I figured, OK, well I'll re center the axle and lose that stupid spacer... no big deal. Well, It was a little more of a task than I had anticipated... since the coil spring platforms were also unequal distance from both the wheel bearing flange, as well as the diff. Blegh. Running out of time, and no new perches to use... Unfortunately I just put the axle back exactly how it was; offset. Not ideal, but hey... it works.

I banged the JJ's in to get an Idea of control arm length.

BOOM.

Both sides in! now for the uppers....

Not too many pics of that part. I was haulin a$$ trying to get this jeep sitting on its wheels again today before the rain moved in... Didn't quiiiite make it. SO CLOSE THOUGH.

Anyway... All tacked up, ready for flex test!!!!!

Here we go!

Ran out of jack height, but it will touch bump stop without any interference. At first, the UCAs would hit the floor of the jeep. Moved them down a hole on both brackets, and boom! clearance issues are no more.

Is that not the sexiest thing ever?!

So now I really see that my shocks and springs are about half the length they need to be. So that'll be hopefully before winter to be replaced.

Well, there was no binding, everything was measured 100x to ensure square and straight... and so, the welding begins.

Not bad for a kid, right?

So this is where I had to pull the chute. The rain moved in just as I prepared to start welding the last things; the CA's. Faaawk. Maybe if theres a break in the weather tomorrow I'll finally finish this. I'm not sure if I have enough time to do the front end too this time around.. it may be delayed. I still have to do all new brake lines, galvanize and paint the axle and frame.. lots to be done yet. Way too fired up to drive this thing though.
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

FYI....

The axle needs to be centered with the frame rails. The pinion will be offset. Just about every axle has an offset pinion with different axle shaft and tube lengths. You need to find the center of the axle housing and use that as the reference for the truss and brackets so that the housing itself is centered between the rails when the control arms are bolted up. I hope that's what you did prior to fully welding those brackets, otherwise no bueno. It appears you did that, considering the truss is offset but it's hard to tell, given by what you said.
Unread 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
97RustBucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
FYI....

The axle needs to be centered with the frame rails. The pinion will be offset. Just about every axle has an offset pinion with different axle shaft and tube lengths. You need to find the center of the axle housing and use that as the reference for the truss and brackets so that the housing itself is centered between the rails when the control arms are bolted up. I hope that's what you did prior to fully welding those brackets, otherwise no bueno. It appears you did that, considering the truss is offset but it's hard to tell, given by what you said.
I see what you mean. I'll try to explain what the deal is...

Axle was offset, using a wheel spacer on one side. This was done so the pinion would be centered. ( I didn't do that.) Because that was done, the spring perches on the axle are also offset. Pass side is about 1.5" from the flange, drivers is 2.5". I had the axle centered, so now pinion is offset, but when doing so, it threw off the coil perches. Without new perches, a vehicle to go get them with, and my deadline coming up real quick... I put the axle back to it was originally, with the pinion lined up. I knoooooow its not ideal by any means, and its sorta punching myself in the face by doing it but I was stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one. The axle has been like that for 8 or so years to my understanding so I kinda figured, well if its lasted this long with what it had going on then this can't be all that bad.... right? If not, I'm going to close a door on my head a couple times lol.
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I see. It sounds like the previous owner pulled that dumb stunt. When you get time, cut off the coil brackets carefully, flap them smooth and weld them on equal distances from their respective flanges at the same width as the bump stop centers. Lose the wheel spacer and run that axle properly centered.
Unread 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
mike_bfdr
1981 CJ8 

looks good............
Unread 06-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
97RustBucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I see. It sounds like the previous owner pulled that dumb stunt. When you get time, cut off the coil brackets carefully, flap them smooth and weld them on equal distances from their respective flanges at the same width as the bump stop centers. Lose the wheel spacer and run that axle properly centered.
Gotcha. Really, I should have done that when I had it all apart. I stared at it for about an hour before I eventually said F*ck it. Now... if I was to do exactly that, will it work with the truss and UCA's where they are? or would those brackets at least have to be cut off and moved?

Another think I've learned so far... leave more adjustment available than seemingly necessary. If I was to do it again, I would have made the UCA's about an inch shorter, just for the sake of having more available thread on the JJ's. I thought I had totally screwed myself by doing so, but it just so happens that my pinion angle needs to be rolled back, not forward.. so it's all good. When I do the front end though, I'll keep that in mind.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.