My TJ LCOG build "Uncharted" - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My TJ LCOG build "Uncharted"

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #106
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks

That's def true. Makes you appreciate everything a little more that's for sure.

So interestingly enough, apparently when I built my rear axle (welded the mounting hardware on), at that time I was not planning on running an SYE (not sure why) but now that its clearly installed on the transfer case and the axle is under the Jeep, I went to line up the pinion to the back of the transfer case housing and its clearly way off, as in shocks wont bolt up correctly because the mounting point is under the axle, and the track bar is no where near the correct location. So, I order up an Artec truss yesterday. Going to cut off and clean everything up and use this beefy kit instead. Cant wait to get this thing in and get the rear drive shaft ordered up.

Seeing as I'm pulling the axle apart again I'm thinking of picking up a Yukon 8.8 kit. Has anyone done this kit, and if so how do you like it?

88kit3.jpg

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
IceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #107
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A little while back I pulled the fan shroud off my radiator and found it was junk, one of the spot welds had let go on the bottom and it had separated. At that moment I was not very happy about it.
Fast forward to yesterday when I took it down to a local guy that has been repairing radiators for over 40 years and he explained the ins and outs of cheaper replacement radiators and the junk materials they use. When I purchased this I thought I was getting A. A good deal and B. Not a cheap replacement.

He made a few phone calls for me gave me two numbers one to rebuild the one I had ($537) or a new aluminum USA made one ($210). I opted for the aluminum.

I was expecting to pick up a "decent" radiator from him because the cost was only $210. I'm happy to say that I'm very glad my other radiator broke. This new radiator he got me is almost double the thickness of my "stock replacement" it seems like. I definitely don't have to worry about this falling apart. Also combined with my F.A.L. fan this should do one heck of a job cooling the motor.
img_0934-1.jpg

img_0935-1.jpg

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #108
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm seriously going out of my mind not being able to work on my Jeep.
I got my Novak transfer case shift setup in today and it's just mocking me sitting in the box here.
Along with my fenders, my grille that needs painting, my hood that needs cutting, my rear axle that needs preping... AARRRGHGHH so much to do why oh why am I stuck with a broken arm.

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #109
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKnight View Post
I'm seriously going out of my mind not being able to work on my Jeep.
I got my Novak transfer case shift setup in today and it's just mocking me sitting in the box here.
Along with my fenders, my grille that needs painting, my hood that needs cutting, my rear axle that needs preping... AARRRGHGHH so much to do why oh why am I stuck with a broken arm.
That's sucks! When/how did that happen?

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #110
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well its been around two months since I've posted anything about my Jeep... you see about two days after I did the fuel pump and some brake line stuff (that will be up soon) I smashed my head and was lucky enough to get 7 staples in my head.

I healed up just in time for a trip to Duluth for an AMSOIL meeting. I came home and spent two weeks at work right before my vacation (Las Vegas and surrounding national parks for hiking) and a tire at my work (split rim) blew-up in my face while filling it with air (boss "set up" the rim and tire, he didn't bother to check and make sure the rim and tire size where compatible) and rocketed me across the garage. I was lucky enough to only have a large egg under my chin, extremely sore jaw (it was shifted 3/4 of an inch to the right) and a broken left arm. I finally have enough motion in my arm so I can type. Kinda funny because just this week I can give a thumbs up with my left hand now.

So back to my Jeep.

I got the brake lines installed before I got the tub on the frame. But because I built the upper control arm mounts I needed to build a small bracket for the brake line from the axle to attach to the brake line on the frame. So here are a few quick shots of that.
Yeah it does but I am determined to do something to my jeep tomorrow even if its something small.

Above is what happened.

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #111
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yeah it does but I am determined to do something to my jeep tomorrow even if its something small.

Above is what happened.
Oops...I guess I hadn't read all the way through the thread.

Glad you're relatively alright.

I've been looking at the artec setup myself...my 8.8 was not setup with a sye in mind. It works now but when I put new springs in the rear, it might not. & idk if is the brackets I got or what...but mine does not clear my gts & that's with.the savvy skid. It's not awful...but it hits on any bump past very minor.

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #112
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Artec stuff does look nice, I'm hoping to do a write up on the install. It should show up I think on Monday or Tuesday, then I have to pull my axle and strip it all down.

Do you have a thick diff cover? Or is your axle pushed back further than stock?

Unread 09-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #113
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Artec stuff does look nice, I'm hoping to do a write up on the install. It should show up I think on Monday or Tuesday, then I have to pull my axle and strip it all down.

Do you have a thick diff cover? Or is your axle pushed back further than stock?
I have a solid diff cover which is supposed to be pretty good clearance wise. I'm not sure why it hits so much. When it was originally installed (by a 4x4 shop that's now out of business), I had stock upper CAs, stock diff cover, stock gas tank skid & it was pretty much resting on the gts...once I had the diff cover, savvy gts & the adjustable uppers it was better. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

My pinion angle is ok now, but my uppers are fully extended, so when I lift at all I'll need more rotation....& even if I can make up the rotation with lowers, I'm not sure how the tb & the shocks & everything else will work

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #114
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that's happened with mine. I originally set it up for a standard drive shaft but ended up getting an SYE so now that I have started to rotate the axle up for correct drive line angle the shock mounting points are under the axle by quite a lot and the TB mount is not even close.

I have the same differential cover so now I'm hoping at full stuff I don't run into any interference with my gas tank skid.

Do you have the factory ford LSD in yours?

Unread 09-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #115
darkknight1999
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looking good dude
darkknight1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #116
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah that's happened with mine. I originally set it up for a standard drive shaft but ended up getting an SYE so now that I have started to rotate the axle up for correct drive line angle the shock mounting points are under the axle by quite a lot and the TB mount is not even close.

I have the same differential cover so now I'm hoping at full stuff I don't run into any interference with my gas tank skid.

Do you have the factory ford LSD in yours?
I've heard & seen pics of other guys running the same diff cover on low/no lift & not having an issue, I'm not sure why mine does.

Yeah, I do have the factory LSD which seems to work pretty well. I've liked it on little climbs & things when I've had tires off the ground & it seemed to help.

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #117
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post

I've heard & seen pics of other guys running the same diff cover on low/no lift & not having an issue, I'm not sure why mine does.

Yeah, I do have the factory LSD which seems to work pretty well. I've liked it on little climbs & things when I've had tires off the ground & it seemed to help.

Sent by a messenger bird
I'll take a bunch of pictures after I'm done with my axle to show the clearance I have. Hopefully with the adjustable uppers and lowers I'll have enough clearance. I'm really shooting to make the control arms as long as I can with no interference while keeping the pinion angle happy.

Glad to hear it, I want to get a locker but its just not in the cards until I get super 8.8 axles in there to rid myself of the c clips. In the long run I'll be in and out of the housing a few times but I'd rather do it on my terms then stuck in the woods.

Unread 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #118
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'll take a bunch of pictures after I'm done with my axle to show the clearance I have. Hopefully with the adjustable uppers and lowers I'll have enough clearance. I'm really shooting to make the control arms as long as I can with no interference while keeping the pinion angle happy.

Glad to hear it, I want to get a locker but its just not in the cards until I get super 8.8 axles in there to rid myself of the c clips. In the long run I'll be in and out of the housing a few times but I'd rather do it on my terms then stuck in the woods.
Yeah, I've had a few times going up things where one front tire is off the ground, one rear & taking it slow the rear would kind of push it through without having to spin the tires or hit it hard.

Sorry, no pics of my pinion angle & everything else today, there was too much rain. I'll snap some tomorrow or the next day, depending on the weather.

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #119
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pics of my diff. It's kind of dark in the pics, but you can see, it's very close to clearing, but is maybe 1/2" too far back. I posted some pics of the pinion angle in my thread.

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #120
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is really tight fit, I'm very interested to see how close mine is at full flex. Ill take some pics when I get into it. Hopefully next weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.