My TJ LCOG build "Uncharted" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My TJ LCOG build "Uncharted"

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #46
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work. I love seeing complete rebuilds like this. I re-built my TJ as well, very fun experience, pain in the *** at times, but you learn a lot.

Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #47
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hope to do this one day. Nice progress and nice garage!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #48
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

03Jeeper - your spot on with the pita part and also with the learning part.

For example: Axles, spent the money on the tools I needed to properly work on them and taught myself how to set everything up. Great lessons learned and skill to have. Although now I want to buy a few axles and start building them for other ppl.

Kodiak17 - Thanks, its a work in progress (jeep and garage) that's for sure and I look forward to seeing your build.

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
IceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #49
alienoutlaw89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

always more fun when you do it your self
alienoutlaw89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #50
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a few more pics from the other day.
I installed new bumpstop cups and the bumpstops, added the Rokmen bumpstop extensions, new brakes front and rear, got the control arms in, made up my rear axle brake lines and installed the front TNT track bar. Still have a lot of adjusting to do so things line up properly but I'm waiting to build my steering which I can start working on now that I picked up a welder of my own today
img_0712-1.jpg   img_0713-1.jpg   img_0731-1.jpg   img_0733-1.jpg   img_0725-1.jpg  

img_0726-1.jpg   img_0739-1.jpg   img_0740-1.jpg  

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #51
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This weekend I'm shooting to get my SYE installed on my transfer case. Never done one of these before either, I'm going to try and take a lot of pictures of the work that goes into doing it. Should prove to be interesting if anything.
img_0742-1.jpg  

Unread 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #52
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also a few weeks back before snow started flying I test fit my Rokmen fenders and rear corner guards. I'm looking forward to putting these things to the test. I still have to cut the rear guards over the next few weeks to make sure the tires will stuff up properly with out rubbing, luckily I have a friend that has a plasma cutter which should make things go smoother. I'm aiming to do that when my rocker guards show up so I can fit everything up and paint it all. Not so sure the paint is going to dry that well if its 10 degrees out
img_0550-1.jpg   img_0552-1.jpg  

Unread 01-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #53
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #54
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! Love the rebuild so far!

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #55
Morris369
2002 WJ 

Nice build. Nice to see others in my area, I live in Putnam. Says you're from woodstock, but all the familiar places in the pics and videos are in Mass. I'll have to watch out for you in the road.
Morris369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #56
Morris369
2002 WJ 

BTW, what machine shop are you using for your motor work? I'm gonna be building a stroker soon (hopefully) and I'm not too fond of the local shops.
Morris369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #57
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone, its been along time coming. I'm just glad I finally have time to work on it.

Morris369 hopefully you'll see it on the road in the spring time. That's what I'm shooting for, but we'll have to see how everything works out. Kinda funny you asked that today, I just stopped by J&R Machining downtown and talked with him for a bit. John and I both have AMSOIL in common both being dealers so... There is only one other place I know of and he is up in Mendon MA, Mike's Motor's, good guy but always swamped with work, has done some stuff for me in the past, but seeing as how I live down here now I would rather give work to a local person when I can.
Do you know of anyone else the does machining?

Unread 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #58
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I was able to get the Slip Yoke Eliminator finished on my transfer case today. I took a bunch of pictures, just about one for every step. I would like to point out it was not that hard of an install with the proper tools and it was of course much easier considering the transmission and transfer case are out of my jeep. Here is a little run through of the process.

So I got my two main products needed for the job aside from a pile of tools. AMSOIL Assembly Lube and The Right Stuff gasket maker.
First thing was to drain the ATF
Then was to remove the speedo drive
Next was the shift linkage (after engaging the transfer case into 4wd)
The front yoke was removed next with a 1 1/8 socket, my impact wasn't cutting the mustard so I grabbed a ratchet and my yoke holding tool and it came right off.
Then on to the tail shaft and the removal of the output shaft boot.
img_0752.jpg   img_0744.jpg   img_0745.jpg   img_0746.jpg   img_0750.jpg  

img_0748.jpg   img_0749.jpg   img_0754.jpg   img_0755.jpg   img_0756.jpg  

Unread 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #59
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I stood the whole assembly up on end.
Next the stop ring and snap ring come off
The rear seal is next to be removed, glad i don't need that one anymore lol
The two rear bearing retaining snap rings came next. The big one was a little bit of a pain
The tail shaft housing was after that with a little motivation from a lead filled rubber hammer around the edges, a little prying and it came right off
Oil Pump came next inline to come out
img_0757.jpg   img_0758.jpg   img_0759.jpg   img_0760.jpg   img_0762.jpg  

img_0763.jpg   img_0764.jpg   img_0765.jpg   img_0766.jpg   img_0767.jpg  

Unread 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #60
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

After the case was split, again with some help of the rubber hammer, we removed the front and rear output shaft.
Then the top snap ring was taken off and the mode hub and drive sprocket got removed from the shaft. Remember the orientation of these two.
Quick shot of the half empty case.
New shaft covered in AMSOIL Assembly Lube, replaced the mode hub and drive sprocket and placed the new snap ring on the shaft.
img_0768.jpg   img_0769.jpg   img_0770.jpg   img_0771.jpg   img_0772.jpg  

img_0773.jpg   img_0775.jpg   img_0776.jpg   img_0777.jpg   img_0778.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.