My TJ LCOG build "Uncharted" - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My TJ LCOG build "Uncharted"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #166
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, looks good!

...what'd you do with the old padding

I just added some 6.5" alpines, a few weeks back. Now my stock front speakers are way over powered

Sent by a messenger bird

jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #167
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKnight
Thanks. I've been doing audio for quite awhile. There are lots of different ways to do what I did, but this is how I have been building systems for years so I stuck with what I knew worked.
Very nice work on the sound bar.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #168
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That is super clean work ...

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #169
IceKnight
Ambitious but Rubbish

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to fully completing it over the next few weeks.

and it sounds like someone needs a new set of front speakers.

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
IceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #170
IceKnight
Ambitious but Rubbish

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered up my Tom Woods drive shaft Monday cant wait to get it installed.

On a crappy note, I went to replace my clutch master cylinder ended up braking the plastic clip that holds the shaft to the pedal...I've checked the local stores and have found nothing for a replacement. Anyone have any fix it ideas?

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #171
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I read something about that clip in a build thread recently...I think

...I'll try to find whatever I read b/c I know they said it was hard to find
Edit: it was from 290tjjeep's build thread. I'm not sure if you two are talking about the same bushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290tjjeep View Post
Had quite the adventure today! Went to leave for work this morning and I decided the WD-40 my clutch linkage because it was squeaking and this plastic bushing/clip fell out...

Managed to find a new one at a local auto store so that was cool! Popped it in and everything seemed good. Took the jeep for a test drive and went driving back home the cable popped out lol. So I put the transfer case in neutral and pulled over. What I ended up doing is added a stainless steel cable tie along with the new bushing/clip. The real problem is that the cable linkage and the rod that it attaches to is worn out, causing the new bushing/clip to still pop out. So by adding the cable tie should keep it from popping out.
...don't know if that's helpful at all

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #172
IceKnight
Ambitious but Rubbish

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I have been looking and have not come up with much.

Unread 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #173
IceKnight
Ambitious but Rubbish

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ending up finding something I think will work. Ill post some pictures when I get around to installing it later on this week/weekend.

Another project I have to finish is mating up two jeep dash switch panels to fit as factory as possible for the switches I am going to have. That'll be a write up as well.

more to come...

Unread 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #174
IceKnight
Ambitious but Rubbish

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I worked on my Jeeps switch panels this afternoon. I mounted two OEM panels next to each other and got switches that match as close as possible to factory.
Here are the switches I picked up, rear wiper is factory, then I picked up cooling fan for my FAL radiator fan, horn because my steering wheels horn button does not work, spot lights and soon a light bar.

Here are the two panels I was working with.

And removing the last three blanks from the second panel.

Dash panel before I started cutting and then after.

(Sorry about the crappy picture)

My first trimming of the switch panel, removed the mounting holes and support ribs of the second (passenger side) panel.

Next I created a cut out template of the shape I needed to replicate for the panels to mount flush against one other.

I then transferred the outline of the template onto the passenger side switch panel.

Next I used my dremel with a plastic cut off wheel to trim the outline.

After a bunch of sanding down of the edges to make the fitment just right, I bolted the two switch panels together. You’ll also notice that on the left hand side of the picture the panel has been cut off already. I did this before bolting them together. I placed both of the panels, switch side down but in opposite position of how they will be mounting in the Jeep and holding them flat on the bench I traced the mounting height of the side panel, on to the panel I needed to cut to match the correct height for the passenger side mounting location.

Here I marked out on the dash where I would be drilling the mounting holes.

First holes drilled in the dash and then I place the screw retainers in the holes.

I test fit the switch panel and it fit like a glove. I attached it with a piece of l-shaped plastic I had laying around. Some of you may recognize the piece it came from.

And here is the finished installation…still need to finish up the actual wiring part of things but Ill be working on that tomorrow.

Ill try and add some more details later on.

Unread 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #175
whiskeywiz
Heineken?

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKnight View Post
On to the frame.

So here is the frame I am currently working on. Rear part of it near the control arms was already having problems so I solved that by cutting it out and replacing on both sides and then fish plateing over it. I only have a few pics of this, frame is still at a friend’s house, hopping to get it home this weekend.
Nice work, looks familiar. Shouldn't have any problem getting that inspected, even if you don't know a guy.
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #176
whiskeywiz
Heineken?

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The last thing I wanted to do was replace all the nutserts for the transfer case skid a few of them where already broken so I ordered up 6 of them and got to work.

I cut the spot welds off of each one, and used and air chisel to get them off. The inside part falls into the frame but I will be getting those out when I move the frame to my house. Installing them is very easy, was most likely easier for me also because the frame was upside down. I used the install "tool" and I started each one with an impact so as to not kill myself making the metal initially start to flex and then finished each off with a torque wrench to 80ft lbs. Tacked them in and it was done. I think it was the easiest fix on the frame so far.
I was just looking at this to do on my frame today. Thinking it over. I was going to try a rethread. Did not know there was such a product out there, as the nutserts that you used.
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #177
whiskeywiz
Heineken?

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So here is the progress I have made thus far with the frame, 4 coats of Rust Bullet and then two coats of the Black Shell top coat.
Gorgeous. Can't wait till I get there. I'm not far off!
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #178
Mattific
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKnight
I worked on my Jeeps switch panels this afternoon. I mounted two OEM panels next to each other and got switches that match as close as possible to factory. Here are the switches I picked up, rear wiper is factory, then I picked up cooling fan for my FAL radiator fan, horn because my steering wheels horn button does not work, spot lights and soon a light bar.
Where did you get these? Much better than the switches I had to cut down to fit in those spots
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #179
whiskeywiz
Heineken?

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I finished up the body mounts today. I built them out of 3/16, and will be applying Rust Bullet inside the channel and outside to seal it off from the elements. Same process I used when I did my frame. Here are a few pics from today of cutting and welding. After my friend and I got going and I sort of forgot to take pictures. I am glad I chose to make them instead of buying new replacement parts (granted I have the tools to do it) and have to cut the entire channel out. Plus during the build I built those 4 locations to not need the 1/2 lift portion of my 1/2 Rokmen body lift. We'll see how it holds up.
Looks auwfly familiar! Lol. Looks like Jeep's making body mount nut replacement easier on us.
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #180
whiskeywiz
Heineken?

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That same weekend I also picked up my 4" tail lights, grommets and plugs and put a hole saw to the tub. Rather simple process but something you want to take your time with and not rush. It came out really nice.

Find the center of the hole to be cut. (This was a little easier having the rear guards bolted to the Jeep that had the cutouts in it)
Pre-drill a pilot hole.
Next cut the hole
Deburr the sharp spots
Check light fitment
Paint
Drink beer for doing an awesome job
Whoa, what's up with the grab bar? For the rear-seaters?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.