My TJ LCOG build "Uncharted" - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My TJ LCOG build "Uncharted"

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 12-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #151
kajones
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome build and wright up man. Everything looks great! I wish i had the resources to and $$$ to do a complete tear down and rebuild like this. Keep up the good work, I'll be checking in for some updates.

kajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #152
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I spent some time yesterday working on wiring up the electric fan. Everything came out looking good. Now I just need to get a battery to see if everything works properly.
img_7457-1.jpg

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
IceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #153
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajones View Post
Awesome build and wright up man. Everything looks great! I wish i had the resources to and $$$ to do a complete tear down and rebuild like this. Keep up the good work, I'll be checking in for some updates.
Thanks its been along project this was suppose to be down and up in a short period of time so I could start driving it again....and not have to buy a car/truck (which I ended up doing anyway). I'm really looking forward to driving it, its been 2.5 years since I have had my Jeep.

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #154
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up building a few things yesterday. I made a mount for my radiator overflow tank, a tramp stamp to finish off the 3/16 armor around the back and a big chunk of steel to hold my oh so precious licence plate and light lol.

I also replaced my rear 8.8 clutch packs in the LSD with the Ford racing discs should help things hook up a little better (fingers crossed) until I get a full case locker (I have a build up on this)

I still have to cut the new hood I got, after messing up my last one I have been avoiding in although I really want to see what it looks like actually on my Jeep not to mention I have to drill the holes for the hood pins.

Unread 12-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #155
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I have been on vacation for the past few days up in NH. Here is a few photo's from the other days work.
Still working on getting the 8.8 LSD photos all lined up.
img_1350-1.jpg

img_1351-1-1.jpg

Unread 12-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #156
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to seeing more progress...it is looking great so far!
My Super Slow Silver Build
offroadaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #157
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is that rear valance (just under the tailgate) piece of armor getting riveted in? Is it removable? Good idea.
Unread 12-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #158
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I'm planning on riveting it in place. I suppose it could be removable but like the rest of the armor on the tub then you have all the holes to deal with.
I was thinking nutserts at first but decided against it because of the ease of rivets, and because the rivets where on my shelf.

Unread 12-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #159
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey what have you been up to lately? If you need a hand I'm around
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #160
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man, been busy that's for sure. You?

I'm almost done, have to cut, weld and paint my hood. Install my transfer case shifter. Torque all front end hardware. Finish interior. Paint rockers etc...
Purchase my rear drive shaft... speaking of which I'm trying to choose between Tom Woods and Adams Driveshaft any user suggestions/experiences?

Unread 12-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #161
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKnight
Hey man, been busy that's for sure. You?

I'm almost done, have to cut, weld and paint my hood. Install my transfer case shifter. Torque all front end hardware. Finish interior. Paint rockers etc...
Purchase my rear drive shaft... speaking of which I'm trying to choose between Tom Woods and Adams Driveshaft any user suggestions/experiences?
Personally for a custom one I'd go with Tom woods. Just has a better name. He did some work on my dads trucks drive shaft and it was awesome!
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #162
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think I am going to be going with a TW driveshaft. Shooting to order it on Monday.

Haven't had a ton of extra time this week to work on the jeep, my f250 has been running like junk so I have been working on it.

But I have managed to get the hood cut and back on, not going to bother with paint just yet, more focused on getting my transfer case shifter in this weekend and bending the transmissions shifter as well if this nasty head cold breaks.

Unread 01-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #163
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So, Iíve had the flu this week and I have had basically no motivation to work on the Jeep so I thought I would do a little write-up about my new custom sound bar that I have been working on to replace my sound bar that housed two 6.5 JL Audio subs and two Pioneer 6.5ís. This new build will be housing a set of Polk 6.5ís and a Pioneer 8 inch subwoofer.

This is what I plan on running for audio equipment (unless CES 2014 offers up something better)

Head Unit: Alpine CDE-HD149BT
Amp: Alpine PDX-5
Front Speakers: Polk Audio MM521
Rear Speakers: Polk Audio MM651
Subwoofer: Pioneer TS-SW841D

To start this build off, I needed to strip the sound bar down, which was quite easy this time because apparently the glue guy at the factory was being a bit stingy, Iím not complaining, it made my life easier. Obviously I removed the speakers, lights and then pulled the outer cover off along with thick and thin foam off.

Next was to remove the section of metal where I would be building the frame of the sub enclosure. I choose to put the sub on the driverís side, so passengers in the back would not hit their heads getting in and out. I only needed three cuts because one side was only held in by a slotted/bent tab arrangement.

Next I cut three pieces of mdf to build out the walls of the enclosure. I did these a little over sized and slowly sanded them down for a nice sung fit.

Next I moved on to the base of the enclosure, I started with paper and then transferred it to Masonite and curved the sharp edge to the angle I wanted.

Happy with the fitment of the three sides I glued them in place with two part glue. If you notice I positioned the wood only half way under the metal. I did this so I would have something to staple the fabric for the top of the enclosure to. I also prepped the painted area so the adhesive would bite in for a nice strong hold for the base of the enclosure. Youíll see four holes drilled in it as well. I did that so I could bolt the base in while the glue set up.

Next I built the frame to hold the sub and test fit it for clearances. Everything looked good so I glued it all in place. You can see in the second picture that the four holes that I had drilled for holding the base in place have been filled in. By this time the glue had dried up and was more than strong enough to hold the structure. You will also notice that on the right side of the sound bar, along the metal, I drilled many small holes. These holes will act as anchor points for the fabric to be glued to allowing me to create the shape of the enclosure. The speaker ring has also had a slight change; that being the small lip I routed into it so I had a place staple the fabric down leaving a nice smooth finished edge in the end for the speaker to mount to.

Here is the fabric all stapled/glued down and ready for fiberglass resin. I keep saying fabric, what this is, is unbacked speaker box carpet. It stretches in every direction and after it is soaked with resin you end up with an extremely rigid shell.

I popped it onto the roll bar real quick to see how it would look. It will be a nice clean fit, sort of hiding in plain sight.

Mixed up the fiberglass resin and soaked the fabric, let things cure up and then sanded it down.

I then added some Rage Gold body filler and sanded it down again, slapped on a quick layer of paint and that is where is sits now.

My plan to finish the sound bar is to wrap the speaker side with vinyl and then create a top cap to attach to it covering the wires leaving a clean finished custom sound bar. I will add my finishing steps to this when itís complete.

Unread 01-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #164
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Damn nice work on that sound bar! Wish I had those skillz...

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #165
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I've been doing audio for quite awhile. There are lots of different ways to do what I did, but this is how I have been building systems for years so I stuck with what I knew worked.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.