My TJ-The Evolution of a Lady - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ-The Evolution of a Lady

So, hello build thread. I am a college student on a college student budget, so Lady is a slow process, but exciting! I'd love any feedback or criticism or opinions...I'm still learning! Oh well...here goes!!!

The way I see it, a Jeep is like sex-when it's good it's terrific, and when it's bad it's still pretty good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Painting My Custom Front Cage

The factory A-B sport bars are a notorious weak point in Jeeps, so I got the factory sport bars removed from The Lady about a year ago, opting instead to get a custom cage fabbed in it's place. I've got to say, I've NEVER looked back. I went to AA Fab in Pioneer, CA. The guy did an INCREDIBLE job. $900 and it was in and out in three days. The welds are gorgeous and I've been SO happy. I wish I remembered his name!! Anyway, I've been putting off painting it for ages, but last weekend I finally took it on. Here we go!

The way I see it, a Jeep is like sex-when it's good it's terrific, and when it's bad it's still pretty good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

First: I took off the windshield wipers, in order to drop the windshield.

For me, because I don't have the factory sport bars connecting the A and B pillar anymore, there were only two windshield bolts to be removed. If the sport bars were still there, there would've be more.

The bolts were an oddball size, so, in order to find the correct size the first time, I got a candle (like a thick birthday cake candle) and heated the bottom until it was pliable. I pushed the candle end into the top of the bolt and got an exact replica of the size socket-thing I would need. Bopped to the store, grabbed the right size:

...and the windshield dropped easy. It's not heavy, but it's not super light either. Just be careful!

I then sanded the cage down until the whole surface was shiny and smooth.

Got some gloves and Acetone on a cloth and wiped it all down thoroughly. Careful with that stuff, the fumes are horrendous. It's wonderful though.

Waited a minute to make sure it was all evaporated, and started taping and covering. This was by far the worst part, because the tape wouldn't stick very well to the various surfaces. After much swearing and stomping of feet though, I was ready to start.

post #4 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Now, primer!

After the primer was good and dry I hit it with the two coats of this:

Painting cylindrical things is HARD, I found.

Next I gently wet sanded the second coat with really fine grain sandpaper:

And hit it with the third and final coat. Voila. I am SO happy with it. Wet sanding really does make a world of difference.

post #5 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Duplicolor Fender Flares

So I went into this with NO CLUE how it would turn out. I am the guinea pig, so to say, at least with my wheeling friends. I'm not sure how well the Duplicolor will hold up on the fender flares, I've heard all kinds of negative and positive comments. I'll let you guys know!

So...let's go!

EDIT* The Duplicolor was a disaster. It peeled right off. I'm going to just Krylon Fusion or Monstaline them. All I can say is DON'T use Acetone to wipe down fender flares!!! And you get what you pay for. If you want to line your fender flares, here is how:
http://www.monstaliner.com/documents...ng_Plastic.pdf

Good luck!

post #6 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Deacon
Shining Adonis

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... Nice job! Are you really only 18? You're going to make some dude very happy and probably very bitter Also, I had no idea the Sacramento area looked like that. Not that it's relevant; just thought I'd share. It's much closer to the Texas hill country than I'd expect.

You really ought to consider taking it back to them and getting some triangulation on the rear part of the "sport cage" where it remains unbraced. You're a ton better off now than you were, but if you actually end up on your head, the B/C pillars could still collapse, putting all the weight on the front and maybe causing a problem. Depends on if it's a gentle flop or a high-speed roll-over, I guess.
post #7 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

First off: The very worst part of this whole process was taking them OFF. I'm just going to tape the front fender flares off. But anyway...took them off. The bolts were all wonky and just turned and turned when I tried to remove them, so I had to jam a screwdriver under them to put pressure on them to make the threading catch.

Only then did they come out. Unusually enough, the front two holes and back hole had different types of screws in them, they were the only ones that came out easily.

Got them all out:

After the screws were out I threw away all the ones that were "stripped" and bought larger diameter screws to replace the stripped screws with when it was all said and done. I say "stripped" hesitantly because they aren't really stripped per se. Whatever they were screwed into must have been messed up, something. The pointy ones were the ones I replaced. The ones with flat bottoms and metal sleeve things in the holes were the ones I kept.

The ones I kept:

The replacement larger ones:

Flares off:

I wiped the metal up a bit where it was under the flares, and then went and washed the hell out of them.

Clean as they got:

Sanded the hell out of them, next.

Wiped them down with Tack Cloth and then got some gloves on, put some Acetone on a cloth and very quickly wiped them down, so they were perfectly clean.

post #8 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got the Duplicolor can...I was contemplating buying two but I did the two rear flares, three coats each, and barely put a dent in how much paint was in it.

It takes SO MUCH mixing. I mixed for ages until it was finally all the same texture. All the rubbery stuff settles to the bottom, it's kind of pain to get it mixed back in. But not really that bad.

Painted all three coats. I'd say give it a good hour or two between coats in the full sun to dry. I did a thin first coat, and a thicker second and final coat.

The difference!

I found the more coats I put on, the nicer they looked. By the final third coat I was really pleased. The texture is really bumpy, but if that's what floats your boat...

I let them dry in the sun for several hours:

And then popped them back on. Easy as that.

Before:

After:

I'm not sure how well they'll stay, I'm really happy with the paint so far, but I've only had it done for a few days and have yet to test them out on trees or rocks...I'll keep yall updated...

Comparison: Front flares VS Back flares.

post #9 of 1950 Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Wow... Nice job! Are you really only 18? You're going to make some dude very happy and probably very bitter Also, I had no idea the Sacramento area looked like that. Not that it's relevant; just thought I'd share. It's much closer to the Texas hill country than I'd expect.

You really ought to consider taking it back to them and getting some triangulation on the rear part of the "sport cage" where it remains unbraced. You're a ton better off now than you were, but if you actually end up on your head, the B/C pillars could still collapse, putting all the weight on the front and maybe causing a problem. Depends on if it's a gentle flop or a high-speed roll-over, I guess.
Thank you!!! I really am! But I grew up around big *** rigs, it's in my blood I guess. You think? They'd be jealous of my mad sexy jeep rocking 18's. Haha I'm waiting until they're totally threadless and them switching them up to 32's or 33's and regearing. Woo! And no, I actually drove up to Calaveras County (my parent's house) to do all this. Folsom doesn't take to kindly to me spewing Jeep parts everywhere, cause I don't have a garage in an apartment!
And yes, I know, I totally agree. Getting some support around the B/C pillars is on the list, but tires and gears first. I LOVE your TJ by the way! Flat fenders are mad sexy.

post #10 of 1950 Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 AM
karlo

Nice to know a lady doing some great mods. Good work!
post #11 of 1950 Old 03-18-2011, 02:24 AM
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I really like that color blue

Nice work on the Jeep so far
post #12 of 1950 Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 AM
yojay48
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The roll cage looks outstanding, the flares I used krylon fusion and I think my results look better. if your not happy with your flares might try that
post #13 of 1950 Old 03-18-2011, 07:06 AM
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

the tj looks awsome, the cage looks awsome and last but not least the girl looks awsome!
post #14 of 1950 Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Where does that cage go behind the dash? does it mount to the floor? and also, any plans to hit the parts of the cage that are hidden with paint? i know it would be a pain but it would prevent it from rusting. Nice build so far tho! it will look great once you get some tires on it. And the jeep itself is probably one of my favorite colors for jeeps it looks awesome!

2002 tj sahara 3" lift 35" km2, AtoZ rockers, 8k warn, 4.56 gears, lock-rites front and rear
post #15 of 1950 Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 AM
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I thought you were going to paint your flares neon green as well ....

Gotta love how customizeable these things are. Flares look good.

3" Currie progressives, OME Shocks, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35x12.50" KM2's, 4.88's, Detroit in rear, Vanco BBK, Currie CA's

My Build Thread:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.