Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My slower than crap CJ5 build.

2K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  daddyusmaximus 
#1 ·
People like photos, so I'll start out with one.

Got my new (to me) 1979 Jeep CJ5 today. This is my 3rd CJ5, but the last one I had was when Regan was in office. I decided to start my build thread on the same day I took delivery, but please do not expect a complete build in a short time. You see I'm poor. Well, OK, maybe not poor poor, but I'm living off my VA disability, so there's not a lot of cash raining down on me.

My starting point is rough not only due to the 38 year old vehicle, but the jurry rigged stuff done by others. Oh, I'll jurry rig stuff too, but there are some things I need to address. This thing was modified into a sand toy a couple of owners ago. She has a strong 360 under the hood with a 4 barrel, headers, a mild cam, and MSD ignition. Trans is a Torqueflite 727. Transfer case is supposed to be a Dana 20. Axles are from a full size Dodge truck, 4.88 geared and mounted SOA on 33x12.50s. They are Dana 44 in front, with lockouts, and 9.25 rear with a Detroit locker. They have 4 wheel discs brakes, but not power brakes. No top, no doors, no heater or defrost, rusty spots to fix, and the aforementioned jurry rigged stuff.

She will not be a daily driver. I will use her as a weekend wheeling vehicle, but I do want to make enough changes to her to be able to take her on longer trips. I have visions of Black Bear Pass, MOAB, Drummond Island MI, and even Alaska... in 2019. Most of the time she ventures off the beaten path will be right here in good old Indiana at the Badlands Off Road Park an hr south of me. I'm going to do her up as a copy of an M38A1, but in desert colors like the vehicles I drove in Iraq. She'll probably get a soft top one of these days, but the plastic racing seats are going away by spring. My spine is too mangled up for anything other than good suspension seats. She is not intended to be anything other than a fun vehicle to go exploring in, and I'm not a good welder or fabricator, so don't expect to see top notch workmanship.

See less See more
#4 ·
Then there is stuff life the fact that the builder put new spring pads on the rear axle to match up with the width of the CJ frame, but doesn't cut the factory Dodge truck pads off, and runs a brake line under a u-bolt.

The front has the springs mounted on the Dodge truck's factory spring pads, but this was done by building a homemade bracket to widen the frame front. It's welded to the frame and front bumper. At least it looks strong enough.

#5 ·
This will be interesting to watch. Looks like you have some fun stuff to work with there, but also have your work cut out for you undoing some booty fab.

I'm a pretty patient guy, and also a very slow Jeep builder myself, so I think I'll sub to this one...

#6 ·
Got up to 60 today so I just had to go tinker with it. Damn thing wouldn't start, until I remembered it's old, and you have to pump the gas to make the accelerator pump squirt some fuel in. Man, that 360 sounds nice... Cost me $13 at NAPA for a deep well impact socket to fit the 1" lug nuts. It has 4 point harness that I can't get adjusted out tall enough. Just use the lap belt part for now. I'll have to take the off to get the buckle working. Had to tighten up the bolt on the steering arm where the heim joint goes on the knuckle. Didn't care for that ~60 degrees I had to saw the wheel back and forth to go in a straight line.

#8 ·
Looking for ideas for my first major project. I need to get the t-case in my CJ5 back up where it belongs. The builder lowered the *** end of the engine, and now the t-case too low. It may have worked for him on the sand dunes, but it won't work for me on trails through the woods. Looking for ideas to fix this mess. T-case is a Dana 20 behind a Chrysler 360 and Torqueflite 727. I also have to figure out a new place for the forward mounts to the axle wrap bars to mount, if I keep them.

This is the mess I need to fix. The t-case looks to be about 7 or 8 inches too low. Help please.

#9 ·
It looks like the entire back of the trans has been lowered, I think if you were to raise the whole back of the powertrain it would help. Of course the attachment for the antiwrap bars is in the way and it would hurt your rear driveshaft angles. You have your work cut out for you, good luck.

#10 ·
So I got the traction bars off. You can tell that the lack of a front shackle put them under stress by the fact that they are no longer straight...

Went to test the flex, and now I think my front axle isn't powered, despite seeing the driveshaft rotate. Guess I'll have to check the hubs next.

#12 ·
Took her out for the first time Sunday. Did the first mod Sat getting ready. Needed a place to keep stuff so I put in a center console. (20mm ammo can)

Picked up a factory D20 skidplate. Going to try to get rid of that fabbed up one that hangs down so low soon.

#13 ·
Well I finally got that good test drive in. Went wheeling in her Sunday with my 4x4 club. Still gonna be a slow process, but I need to start on some things. Some parts each month, and we'll see... I'm giving myself 2 years start to finish. I will use it this summer and start the real teardown in the fall.

After driving around in her a bit I find she is lacking in the wiring and shifting departments. The PO stripped out everything he didn't need to run in the sand. I've no way to charge my phone, there are light issues, and I am kinda scared to tap into what's left of the rats nest under the dash to put in a CB. Ordering components to build a new wiring harness. Also ordering a twin stick cable shifter for the D20. Sucks having to crawl under to engage the front axle...

#14 ·
I will have to keep the house up to keep the wife happy, but I'll not be putting much money into my car (2003 Mercury Marauder), or starting any gun builds for a while. I'll just drive the Jeep as she is for the summer then start teardown in the fall. I've decided to go all out. In order to get the ultimate in soft ride (along with a suspension seat), I will be doing a coilover conversion.

I have back and neck issues due to an IED attack in Iraq, so my mangled up spine, neck and right hip will thank me for the soft ride. This will also get me the bonus of great trail flex. So far my research points to using Ruff Stuff brackets, Artec Industries shock towers, and King coilovers. Goal is 2 years, but even if it takes me 5, I'm going to try to make this happen. I want my nimble little CJ5, but I need a softer ride than leaf springs can provide, or I will have to give up off road driving. Exploring trails through the woods is just too relaxing to give up.

#15 ·
Here's a shot of my constant shadow Brandy and I last week on our first trip off roading in over a year. She is my 98 pound German Shepherd. (more like German Shedder) She is a service dog and is with me 24/7. The passenger seat will be replaced by a custom made platform for Brandy as she's too big to lay down on a bucket seat.

#18 ·
Got the shifter off of the transfercase but couldn't get the adapter for the new twin stick cable shifter mounted. There is a piece in the way I need to cut off, but my sawzall died. Will have to pick up a new one soon. Probably get a battery powered one.

#19 ·
Got the twin stick shifter mounted, but Can't get the transfer case to move out of neutral in the front drive. Shifter is good, T-case is messed up somehow. Worked 2 weeks ago... ???

Took the front passenger seat out, and built Brandy a temporary front seat dog bed. I'll have to re do it later when I get my suspension seat and build the center console for the shifters, but it's good enough for this summer.

#20 ·
You need to adjust the cables. There is a shift interlock mechanism that keeps you from accidentally putting the front in high and rear in low. When you have the rear in high, the shift lever must be in the correct position before it will let the front fork move to also put the front in high. Same for going into low range.

#26 ·
Haven't had much energy or money to put into the project, but I have done a few small things.

New front recovery points are off my old F250.

Put in a CB. Not many places to fit a full size radio in a CJ5. I welded a couple bars between the top runners on the roll cage. I used an old bracket from a military vehicle radio antenna.

Installed a Blue Sea charging port in the radio hole in the dash. Can't wait to get rid of that diamond plate.

Steps make it easier to get in and don't cost any ground clearance. Jerry cans go mounted on the side. They can't hit anything as the tires stick out with the full width axles.

Put the Hi-Lift on the cowl in front of the windshield that I'll probably never put down.

#27 ·
Well, my "slower then crap" build is sure living up to it's name. She's been sitting in the garage for a month waiting for me to find a new front axle. Can't seem to find one, but I did snag a 1980 CJ7 for $120.

The tub needs quite a bit of work, but could be saved. Not sure if I want to go through all that. Of course it's not running. She has a 258, auto on the tilt column with a very nice Lecarra wheel. The interior is so much nicer than my ratty old 5, and the extra 10 inches makes a bigger difference than I thought it would. It had a great hardtop with solid roll up window doors, and a wiper and electric defroster in the back glass. The dash is nice, and complete, the heater is all there. My beater old sand toy CJ5 has nothing under the diamondplate dash. Tailgate is fine as is the tire carrier, but the windshield is a goner. (I can use the CJ5's)

So do I stay with the 5 or build the 7?

Folks, I'm going with the CJ7. I'll be using the drivetrain from the 5 as that Dodge 360 is just too strong to give up. Love to hear that thing roar. I had to go out and start it today just to listen to it... If I get a new tub for the 7, it will eat up a big chunk of my budget. (depending on how much I get out of selling parts) I could stay SOA like the CJ5 has and forgo my coilover dreams. Then I could swap in YJ springs to soften things up.

On cools evenings, I'll start the tear down of the CJ5 so I can get the bits I need, and sell the bits I don't. Waiting on a buddy to get back with me now because I know he needs a CJ5 frame, and I already got a guy on facebook wanting the CJ5 tub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.