~ My Savvy Jeep Build ~ - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > ~ My Savvy Jeep Build ~

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #376
crateampscal
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 741
how many hours do you think you're going to have into the suspension(including the shock mounts) by the time you're done? I know you're not done yet, but how long does this type of thing usually take you?

crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #377
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
how many hours do you think you're going to have into the suspension(including the shock mounts) by the time you're done? I know you're not done yet, but how long does this type of thing usually take you?
There are too many variables to guess at that one. Some of them fall together, some continually fight you. We just finished one that took several extra hours on the front due to interference issues with an ARB diff cover. That required lots of time to cycle, grind, clearance, cycle and then we ran into an issue with the upper hitting the truss on full stuff, so we clearanced the arm, tested it, still not enough and kept going until we got the bumpstop an inch and a half apart but only by putting a kink in the arm right at the front saddle.

Kat's will take longer than that because I work on it in the evenings which always takes a lot longer.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #378
crateampscal
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
There are too many variables to guess at that one. Some of them fall together, some continually fight you. We just finished one that took several extra hours on the front due to interference issues with an ARB diff cover. That required lots of time to cycle, grind, clearance, cycle and then we ran into an issue with the upper hitting the truss on full stuff, so we clearanced the arm, tested it, still not enough and kept going until we got the bumpstop an inch and a half apart but only by putting a kink in the arm right at the front saddle.

Kat's will take longer than that because I work on it in the evenings which always takes a lot longer.
I hear that. if you would, ballpark a relatively easy install compared to a hard one like the one you mentioned.

when i swapped to your currie 4 inch, it took me 10 hours just to swap kits, maybe a little more. i had a real hard time getting everything lined up. when we did my brothers rig, it took probably half that. the extra hand really helped and we didnt have to adjust too much. these were just kits using factory shock locations.
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #379
calsouthjeep
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
I hear that. if you would, ballpark a relatively easy install compared to a hard one like the one you mentioned.

when i swapped to your currie 4 inch, it took me 10 hours just to swap kits, maybe a little more. i had a real hard time getting everything lined up. when we did my brothers rig, it took probably half that. the extra hand really helped and we didnt have to adjust too much. these were just kits using factory shock locations.
I would say that when I go help Blaine we get about 3x as much work done than I could if I was doing it by myself. All the little tricks that makes things easier and knowing what exactly needs to happen really cuts down on the time. Having any tool or part you could need doesn't hurt either
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #380
crateampscal
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by calsouthjeep View Post
I would say that when I go help Blaine we get about 3x as much work done than I could if I was doing it by myself. All the little tricks that makes things easier and knowing what exactly needs to happen really cuts down on the time. Having any tool or part you could need doesn't hurt either
Ya, that must be nice. having the tools is always nice but knowing what needs to be adjusted and how much is really a time saver. he'd probably have a restraining order out on me if i lived in so cal.
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #381
JeepKat
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sun City, California
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
I hear that. if you would, ballpark a relatively easy install compared to a hard one like the one you mentioned.

when i swapped to your currie 4 inch, it took me 10 hours just to swap kits, maybe a little more. i had a real hard time getting everything lined up. when we did my brothers rig, it took probably half that. the extra hand really helped and we didnt have to adjust too much. these were just kits using factory shock locations.
Hmm, A ballpark is a pretty big place. How about 5 days for the more difficult one and 3 days for the easy one? Did you fall out of your chair yet? Pretty much it takes as long as it takes.

It's like the "Rock God" thing when we go camping. If you ask how long its going to take to get from one end of the trail to the other, the only thing you can count on is not knowing how long it will take.

Or the only spare part you didn't bring will be the one you need the most. Lol, Blaine didn't have any spare Banjo Bolts for his Jeep when I decided that I wanted to drive up a waterfall, I spun the tires and wedged a flat rock between the brake caliper and the axle and broke the only spare part that we didn't have
__________________
I am Savvy!
JeepKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #382
crateampscal
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepKat View Post
Hmm, A ballpark is a pretty big place. How about 5 days for the more difficult one and 3 days for the easy one? Did you fall out of your chair yet? Pretty much it takes as long as it takes.

It's like the "Rock God" thing when we go camping. If you ask how long its going to take to get from one end of the trail to the other, the only thing you can count on is not knowing how long it will take.

Or the only spare part you didn't bring will be the one you need the most. Lol, Blaine didn't have any spare Banjo Bolts for his Jeep when I decided that I wanted to drive up a waterfall, I spun the tires and wedged a flat rock between the brake caliper and the axle and broke the only spare part that we didn't have
Actually, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. heres why, I had lifted my brothers jeep after mine(second tj ever). id cycle the suspension, then show him the adjustments needed. after a few cycles and adjustments, he started to get frustrated as he kept insisting that it was close enough. I didn't like that and powered through till it was right. I believe that mrblaine could look at his jeep and hound me about some stuff that could be better.

his rides considerably better than mine, but I am not strong enough (at the moment) to straighten mine out. Even if I were to get underneath it, id want to burn in some new shock mounts and have your guy(wayne) tune some real nice shocks for me. I don't feel comfortable doing this as Im afraid of cutting too much of something, mangling the shock towers etc.

oh, and sorry Kat, I realized after reading your post that I should quit clogging your thread up, write down all my questions, and just call the mad scientist.
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #383
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
Ya, that must be nice. having the tools is always nice but knowing what needs to be adjusted and how much is really a time saver. he'd probably have a restraining order out on me if i lived in so cal.
There are a lot of things I do that add small amounts of time but greatly decrease the aggravation factor. When I cut the spring perches loose, I jack up the tub, drop the gas tank, and pull the cat back exhaust.

I can drop a tank and exhaust in about 15-20 minutes which is right about the amount of time saved cutting off the passenger side spring perch, but it is a whole bunch easier to get in there, provided the exhaust doesn't fight me.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #384
JeepKat
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sun City, California
Posts: 124
New Rear Back-Up Lights





Tied into the Reverse Light Wiring so I don't get a ticket by turning them on by accident and blinding the people following me.
__________________
I am Savvy!
JeepKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #385
JeepKat
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sun City, California
Posts: 124
Savvy Gas Tank Skid Powder Coated Semi-Black





Ready to be installed.
__________________
I am Savvy!
JeepKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #386
JeepKat
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sun City, California
Posts: 124
LED Head Lights

__________________
I am Savvy!
JeepKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #387
JeepKat
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sun City, California
Posts: 124
Frame Looks Like New!


Before









Blaine and Joe did an excellent job painting my frame and coating my fender wells!
__________________
I am Savvy!
JeepKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #388
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepKat View Post
Blaine and Joe did an excellent job painting my frame and coating my fender wells!
It is that AWESOME coffee you brought out that helped give us the motivating factor.

As good as the pics are, it looks WAY better in person!
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #389
oalali
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 756
That looks awsome !
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/almost-bolt-lj-restoration-1510897/#post15312478"]Project Bolt-on: LJ Restoration
[/URL]
oalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #390
MilMJ11
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lusby, Maryland
Posts: 83
Love how clean this build is. Can't wait to see the finished product.
MilMJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.