My "RENEGADE" Transformation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My "RENEGADE" Transformation

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
glenn-91YJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

My "RENEGADE" Transformation

I decided to start a "Jeep Build" page to formally document the transformation of my Jeep. For now I'm going to post the "Before" and "Now" pictures and fill in the rest chronologically as I get time.

It's a 91 Renegade I bought back in May of 2010 for $2000.00. I hadn't intended on buying a Renegade but seeing the frame and body were in overall great shape, had a 4.0 with a 5 speed...I couldn't pass it up. I figured I’d either strip it down or get creative with it…I chose the latter. I had looked at a number of other YJs and all were in pretty rough shape. I wanted to stay "pre" TJ to not have to deal with emissions tests here in MA.

The “Before” picture was taken in the PO's driveway when I went to pick it up. As evident from the "Lettering" across the top (LOUD and TOPLESS)...the guy basically used it as a "Giant Boom Box" (he stated as much). The rear seat was out and there two 12" subwoofers and amp in its place. He had no idea of how the 4WD worked and had never taken it off road. His brother originally owned it and was having financial problems in NY, he needed the cash and sold it to him. I should mention the $2K didn't include his electronics! But it did include 2 sets of seats, front and rear, and another set of tires and wheels.

The “Now” picture was taken a few days ago as it sits as a “Front Wheel Drive” only vehicle. I just put an Advanced Adapters SYE in and I'm waiting for the Tom Woods DS to show up this coming Tuesday. I had to move it so the front axle was my only option.

I’m planning to go through all the pictures and documentation I have accumulated and start filling in all the blanks as to how it got to where it is today. It will take a little time but it will be nice to have it all documented in one place.

0506001817.jpg

after-sye.jpg

Unread Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #2
glenn-91YJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

First Jeep Repair 4/10

So when I purchased the Jeep the TC extension housing was damaged and the drive shaft u-joints needed to be replaced. So I found a TC out of a Cherokee for $50 and ordered a new seal and bushing.
Once I got the extension housing on I found out pretty quickly why the housing was broken...the drive shaft was too long. Must have put one in from an auto tranny. I had put new u-joints in so I brought it to a local DS shop and had it shortened and balanced.
Put new AT fluid in the TC and all was good.
0512002031.jpg

0512002143.jpg

0513001640.jpg

Unread Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #3
glenn-91YJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lift Install

After changing all the fluids, safety inspection, basic tune up and driving the Jeep for a month...it was time to address the suspension.
I ended up purchasing a Race Car Dynamics (RCD) lift with 5100 Bilstein shocks. I also purchased new greasable 5/8" shackles.

After soaking all the nuts and bolts involved with PB Blaster for a week, I installed the lift over a weekend. The only bolts that were a real problem were the leaf spring eye frame bolts. Had to cut those bad boys off.

With the new suspension the ride was GREATLY improved!!!
before-after-lift.jpg  
0603001924.jpg

0603001920a.jpg

0603001919.jpg

0622000716.jpg

0613001613.jpg

0613001241.jpg

Unread Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #4
glenn-91YJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

New Rubber 7/10

After driving the Jeep with the lift for a month it was time for some bigger tires. With the stock 3.07 gears I decide to go with 33x10.5 BFG All Terrains.
Kept the stock Gambler rims for the time being.

Removed the "Renegade" bumpers and did a little trimming on the front fenders. Found some half-doors on craigslist for $150. Didn't care for the full doors with the top off.
jeep1.jpg

0718001945.jpg

Unread Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #5
glenn-91YJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

8/10 Steering Wheel Upgrade.

Decided to upgrade the steering wheel to a Grant GT leather.

Also picked up a 92 300ZX for my son. It was in great shape and couldn't pass it up. He had been saving his money and wanted a sports car with a stick.

It needed a new rubber exhaust hanger...his first repair!
0731001759.jpg

0731001341.jpg

0731001341a.jpg

Unread Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #6
glenn-91YJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

8/10 New Bumpers

Needed to do a "Face Lift" to take care of the "Renegade" look.
Ordered a new Smittybilt Rock Crawler front bumper and got a free rear bumper. Special deal Summit Racing had going on. Made some new brackets for the driving lights seeing I cut out some of the old mounts.

The nice thing about the Renegade fenders are they're pretty easy to trim!

Welded some D-Loops on the rear bumper.
0812001906.jpg

0815001504.jpg

new-bumper1.jpg

1009001803.jpg

1009001804a.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.