My Really Bland 1997 TJ 4.0L Auto Build aka "Betty" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Really Bland 1997 TJ 4.0L Auto Build aka "Betty"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My Really Bland 1997 TJ 4.0L Auto Build aka "Betty"

This thread is for me to document my experiences and ask some probably dumb questions about my 1997 TJ. I usually search a bunch first so I will try to reference other threads I find. I am a Jeep noob but not a forum noob. I am a former autocrosser, subaru guy, and I ride a Gas Gas on the weekends.

Betty's Mission Statement-
To provide a fun somewhat liveable daily driver that can do moderate wheeling. The general purpose is a road going tow and fun vehicle as I ride dirtbikes as my primary fun activity. Must be driveable for wifey as I leave it at home and take her car for long commutes.

The Jeep as I got her-
1997 TJ with 54,XXX miles on it
-Auto, which I pretty much had to have
-There is a throttle body spacer on it (have to check brand)
-Factory 3.07's (I think they are Dana 38's too?, I know they are open)
-Old Man Emu Budget Boost with 2k miles on it. Properly done with track bar mount moved and beefed up. Steering stabilizer as well
-JKS front sway endlinks with disconnects
-JKS 1.25" Body Lift
-JKS 1" Engine mount's
-32 x 11.5's and wheels with 2k miles on them
-Clean frame and underpinnings (hard as hell to find in the rust belt)
-Clean interior
-Hardtop in perfect shape
-Good soft top
-Bikini Top
-Stereo upgrades (5.25" conversion up front, sony deck, new sound bar speakers)

Pics-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/IMG_0071.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/IMG_0052.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSCN0953.jpg

Planned Mods (already purchased)-
-RRC Rugged Ridge Rocker guards/steps (wife requested these plus the 5 mins I spent in the woods already made it clear the rockers are super vulnerable)
-H4 Headlight conversion (done)
-Other various crap like torx sets and a toolbag I can fill with Jeep specific tools (started)

If you are still reading, questions-

In terms of swapping gears I am having a hard time, reading through all the awesome FAQ's on here, determining exactly what I would need to swap my D30 and D35 to something other than the 3.07's.... help? kit links? Other?

I also have been told a 8.8 (maybe like this- JEEP AXLES D30, D35, FORD 8.8 ) wouldn't be a bad idea? How would I match up the D30 to that?

Last edited by SideshowBob024; 09-28-2010 at 07:50 AM..
SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.