Ok, so talking to Mike (MTTREK360), i've decided to start a build thread. I have a ton to do tonight (school sucks...) but figure'd i'd start small.
I bought my first, and only Jeep in April '09; a 1997 TJ Wrangler Sport, 4.0 I6, Manual Trans, D35/D30, with Pro-Comp 31" All-Terrain tires.
my jeep as i bought it:
My short list of mods:
1) removed factory steps in favor of more ground clearance
2) painted headlight bezels black (who likes chrome on a jeep...)
3) returned the air intake to stock (was a K&N that left me with mud IN my intake manifold...)
4) "installed" a bottle jack on the driver-side accessory tray, as mine was missing
5) cheap neoprene seat covers for winter (they suck and i dont use em in the summer, but are better than nothing), bungees to hold the rear seat up when folded, and a braided 550 cord pull for the passenger seat tumble.
6) Fabbed up custom mirror mounts that mount to the upper windshield hinge to allow me to run Harley Davidson mirrors year-round with or without doors
7) painted my spare-tire cover with my custom logo (friend is an artist and created one for me)
future mods: too long to list...
but in the short term:
1) extend breather's into airbox
2) replace leaking Power Steering Gearbox and add PS fluid cooler
3) New bumpers, winch, and rock sliders
bear with me, this is gonna take a while... cheers.
jeep is lookin really good, i like how your takin it slow for whatever reasons they may be i think its a good idea plus you have more time to think of what to do and how to do it right.
also i really like the mirror mounts you fabbed up, they look great!
longjeep04: thanks man! I hated the stock mirrors and they were just useless, even in relocation brackets. I did some brainstorming and forum-prowling and came up with those. i'd like to re-do em with a little more time and some bigger steel, but they are STRONG as hell. 3/16" steel...not goin ANYWHERE! and the mirror's are great. ive been running a borrowed drivers side mirror for a few months, but next week im gonna go get a set of my own, extended though so they stick out a little further. can't wait!
as to taking it slow, its forced, monetarily; college is expensive, lol! you are right in that it gives me time to think, and i am a FIRM believer in "do it right, do it once" so it will get done right, its just gonna take a while. as anxious as i am to get wrenching, im a pretty patient person, and i know good things come to those who wait, so ill be waiting for something REALLY good!
so i just went out to get something out of the jeep and noticed a BIG nail in the rear passenger tire...gotta go out and get a plug kit tomorrow before school...shucks, but i might pick up hose to extend the breathers...not sure yet.