Considering throwing in the 8.8 this weekend. I'm pretty sure I've got all the parts except the u-joint u-bolts, which I'll pick up in the next couple days. (I can just do FWD if I can't get the right size.)
Just remeasured my pinion yoke on the 8.8 to confirm driveshaft size, as all my data keeps telling me different things while trying to get my u-joint u-bolts.
I finally got the u-bolts and it confirmed what I thought was just bad measuring on my part.
......My yoke is a 1330 special.
WTF? Who rebuilds an 8.8 for a Jeep and makes it a 1330 special? All my google searching has not been able to even confirm the existence of a 1330 special yoke for the 8.8. Lots for the 9", but *none* for the 8.8. It's like a frickin' Unicorn!
My regular driveshaft is a 1330 series, same as all 1995s, so 1 1/16" x 3 5/8".
My pinion yoke is definitely 3 5/8", so it has to be 1330 (1.0625), 1330 special (1.125), or 1350 (1.1875).
The only yokes I can find are 1330 or 1350, but my yoke cap width is 1.1, whereas my yoke width on the D35 is .5, so it's definitely not the 1330, but a 1350 wouldn't come close to fitting 1.1, so it can't be 1350, right?
Alright. I've got everything set for the 8.8 swap tomorrow, minus renting a u-joint press (a local driveshaft shop had the right u-joint, which is damn near *impossible* to find anywhere else. I'll have to post the Neapco PN on this thread for search posterity, just in case), a deep socket for the ubolt nuts, and getting supplies for converting the ebrake.
It's supposed to snow 2-4 inches, but I'm calling New England's bluff. It never follows through.
Besides, leaf spring swaps are pretty straightforward and the lift was only put in 7 months ago, with no winter to rust it up, so I'm hoping we'll be ok. Besides, I can leave it half-completed if we need to bail because it'll be at my inlaws.
Btw, in case anyone wants to know how my brain works on these type of projects:
I'll let Geoff do the narrative since this is his build and all, but here are all the photos from today! Had a great time, and the snow certainly backed down against us. We only had flurries for a few hours and nothing really stuck. It's not quite over yet, but we made a decent amount of progress today.
UPDATE: Almost finished, but two silly mistakes held us up. Yesterday we had trouble drilling out the spring plates and I had to wait until today for a machine shop to be able to do it.
Keith at AW Fab in Woburn (who I can't recommend highly enough, btw. Great guys, great work, and as XJ guys, know Jeeps well) opened up the spring plate holes in 10 minutes with a plasma cutter what would have taken me a whole evening to do with a drill.
And today I couldn't start until 4, and at 6:30 when we couldn't get the brake lines to bleed fully, I realized I had the calipers on the wrong sides.
Kind of pissed at myself for that. I should have known better. It was ****ing freezing as well, but the lines got a good flush, so it wasn't all for naught. On Wednesday I plan on just clamping the lines, swapping the calipers and re-bleeding.
I'll probably do the e-brake sometime later in the week. No rush. That's what first gear is for.
I drove up and down the driveway, though. That's gotta count for something.