My Other Jeep Is A Jeep: CrawlingForward's Jeep-related Adventures - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Other Jeep Is A Jeep: CrawlingForward's Jeep-related Adventures

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
karlo

Looks great. Seems like you enjoy modifying your jeep.

karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I really appreciate it.

Just in case you guys were worried that it's a street queen, I figured I'd share a couple shots from the ExploringNH anniversary run from a couple weekends ago!

I gatta say, the ATs did *much* better in mud than I was anticipating. I could stop right in the middle of a mud slick, start it in second and just roll out with no issues, consistently. I should have aired down more (I was at 25, I should have gone to 15) so I kept bouncing off ledges, etc., but the skinny tire thing worked *awesome*. No issues with flex or stuffing, so the new setup is working really well.

I'm going wheeling with ENH again this weekend, albeit a pretty mild run, but it's bringing to light that I'm *very* bad with staying light on the gas when I wheel. I'm definitely going to have to upgrade to an 8.8 if I want to add a locker. So it looks like I'm saving up to try and do an 8.8, locker, and regear all at once!

My goal is by Labor Day....we'll see if I can hit it.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
weerwolv
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great updated pictures Crawling and glad to see your build worked out well.

Now that you've run it a bit off road was there any rubbing? Can't remember exactly but what is the Backspace on the wheels you are running? I think it's 5.5" but I could be wrong. Those are 16x7 wheels?

Do you think a 1" Body Lift would be needed for full articulation?

After we chatted I've been going back and forth on your plan and I like it very much. The only difference is I'd like to run a 265/75r 16 tire (32x10.5) and keep the backspace in the 4 to 4.5 inch range. I'm running a 4.0 liter up front so I'll have a bit more weight to deal with so the 1" BL might be needed or flat fenders...
weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #19
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weerwolv View Post
Great updated pictures Crawling and glad to see your build worked out well.

Now that you've run it a bit off road was there any rubbing? Can't remember exactly but what is the Backspace on the wheels you are running? I think it's 5.5" but I could be wrong. Those are 16x7 wheels?

Do you think a 1" Body Lift would be needed for full articulation?

After we chatted I've been going back and forth on your plan and I like it very much. The only difference is I'd like to run a 265/75r 16 tire (32x10.5) and keep the backspace in the 4 to 4.5 inch range. I'm running a 4.0 liter up front so I'll have a bit more weight to deal with so the 1" BL might be needed or flat fenders...
As it stands now, no problems with rubbing whatsoever. Very happy.

Any wider than 9.5, though, and I would probably need to trim the fender flares. With 10.5" and over an inch less backspacing, you would definitely hit the fender flares. You'd *probably* be ok on the body though.

Also, when you put in an 8.8, you lose ~.5" in the back, so at that point I'll probably put in a 1" body lift or just replace the body mounts (they've sunk a decent amount at this point) to compensate.

In the picture in the previous post, I'm bouncing pretty hard, so you can see how the tire tucks into the wheel well, even before getting some angle from flex.

The picture below shows the front flexing room pretty decently. It's not even close to being an issue, so you can picture that in the rear.

Unread 06-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #20
weerwolv
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The flare issue is definitely been one I'm thinking about. Had a feeling I would have contact there with the 4.5BS plus 10.5 wheel

Very glad to hear no spring rub.

Might go with a flat flare up front or MCE Flat Fenders altogether.

Going with an E rated weight class tire cause you any problems? Everyone complains that you shouldn't do that on a Jeep due to weight but I think its subjective and good pizza cutters in 32" size only seem to be E rated for some reason.

Getting close on this build and very much plan in following your direction although I'll probably do the 1" BL at the same time
weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #21
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Very glad to hear no spring rub.
Actually, I do have slight spring rub at full-turn, but it's not even worth adjusting the steering stops because it's rare and I like to have it in case I ever need it.

With your planned backspacing, I don't think it would be an issue.

Quote:
Going with an E rated weight class tire cause you any problems? Everyone complains that you shouldn't do that on a Jeep due to weight but I think its subjective and good pizza cutters in 32" size only seem to be E rated for some reason.
I don't see an E-rate as a problem, but I also love the bumpy ride. It's not that bad, though.

Unread 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #22
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pic of full stuff while parked on a hill tonight:

(Uploaded via Thunderbolt)
forumrunner_20110607_221009.jpg  

Unread 06-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
woooter61

Looks like you get that Jeep into some pretty fun spots!
woooter61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #24
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Took it wheeling again this past weekend, this time aired down to 15 instead of 25. *World* of difference!

I still need to get pictures, but there were a couple very steep slick granite slabs and it just walked right up it!

Unread 06-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man, brilliant thread!

I like your philosophy behind it, build as needed. I remember before I started mine a few months ago I had parts galore picked out, but I didn't know where to start, or what I really needed. Eventually I got out there when she was still stock and did some light wheeling. When I got home that night I knew EXACTLY what I needed and why, and so I began a list of practical parts to accompany my list of cool looking parts. I'm trying to still do it that way but I always manage to get myself into bigger messes than a one or two parts can fix. Haha.

Good luck, and I'll definitely be subscribing!

Just click and watch me grow! Check out my build thread!!
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/amateur-93-yj-build-1213127/[/url]

ALWAYS looking to meet responsible four wheeling folk in the Western Mass area!
slashway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #26
evoGibson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

your yj=sex. i love it!
Unread 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #27
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is how you figure out the weather forecast at the Marsh household, ha ha

Unread 07-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #28
95riograndeman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great YJ you have there. Very clean and your work is very neat. Looks like my YJ. If you dont wanna spend a lot of money on getting a rear tire swing out what I did (ran into the same problem with my 32's) was take that black stop off under the right rear tale light and open it up right befor it hits the tale light and I am able to open the rear hatch. Just a quick easy fix. Can't wait to see what else is gonna be done.
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #29
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95riograndeman View Post
Great YJ you have there. Very clean and your work is very neat. Looks like my YJ. If you dont wanna spend a lot of money on getting a rear tire swing out what I did (ran into the same problem with my 32's) was take that black stop off under the right rear tale light and open it up right befor it hits the tale light and I am able to open the rear hatch. Just a quick easy fix. Can't wait to see what else is gonna be done.
Thanks so much! Yeah, I've been eyeing a swingout for a while, especially with how often I put bikes on my poor sagging tailgate, so it gives me an excuse to get one before winter, ha ha. If buget fails, I may have to do that, however. You dont' worry about smashing a taillight if it swings too fast?

In a more general updates, I think I may have finally tracked down the rough idle issue I've been having forever. I went to replace my timing chain today, assuming it was loose and that was the problem. Turns out it was still really taught, but I found this instead....

Ummmmmm....looks like I'm going to have to learn how to reset valve timing.....

I'm completely intimidated by anything engine related, but looks like I'm going to have to learn....

How my engine compartment currently looks:

I'm been taking a lot of pictures because I'm hoping to do a timing chain write-up this week, with possibly a side write-up on how to reset valve timing. Keep an eye out for it!

Unread 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
95riograndeman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea i do worry about my tale light but I never let it hit but it may be a little more of a gap for you since your runnin 31's and I'm running 32's. You just have to be very careful. As of right now I have been opening the back a lot trying to get a toolbox set up in the back and I have not had any problems. I think one time my sister walked into it but nothing bad had happened so you should be good. Good luck with the timing problem haha.

Tags
backpacking , dogs , pizza cutter , simple , sleeper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.