My Other Jeep Is A Jeep: CrawlingForward's Jeep-related Adventures - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #436 of 440 Old 11-24-2015, 08:27 PM
kvesi122
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have any play in the pinion gear?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #437 of 440 Old 11-25-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
CrawlingForward
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ha ha ha ha. This.

I drove cross-country with that.

Anyhow, drained it, cleaned it up, everything looked just fine and no glitter in the fluid so....go Jeep?

Last night before pulling the clutch hydraulics, I finally checked the reservoir (it was too stuck to do by hand in the parking lot at work) and it was almost empty, so for kicks I filled it back up and my pedal ended up almost the same as before, so I left it for after Thanksgiving when I'll have a backup vehicle for the week.

So instead I took that time to pull both diff covers, top off the transmission, grease all the joints, and generally do all the maintenance I should have been doing all along (and also noticing I lost a bumpstop somewhere along the line). And voila, maybe it's just mental, but it's like a different vehicle this morning. Much smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvesi122 View Post
Do you have any play in the pinion gear?
Negligible. A millimeter, if any, and it was like that before the milkshake madess. I could get a small peek at the driver-side bearings and they looked ok, so I'm just going to change it again in a couple hundred miles to get the gunk out of the tubes and call it 'good enough for now'.

The transmission definitely still needs to be rebuilt, so I'm almost definitely going to make that a project this winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
post #438 of 440 Old 11-25-2015, 08:27 AM
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Glad you made it safe! That is one tough YJ, the thing just refuses to die. Good luck with all ur projects...you are gonna be a busy man this winter

post #439 of 440 Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
CrawlingForward
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you fricking kidding me? I just typed up a like...2 page update and the site lost it when I went to "Go Advanced".

Anyhow, here are the cliff notes:
  • The Jeep are as neglected as this thread
  • Had another kid, bought another vehicle (minivan), bought another house, lots of other projects
  • New house has 3 car garage, so the YJ is finally back indoors

• Michigan says kids have to be in back seat, despite YJ having safer front seat with cage. So because I'm daycare chauffer, YJ never gets driven.
  • Drove YJ to new house an hour away. White knuckle drive confirmed the following:
    • The YJ needs serious attention to it's driveability before I feel comfortable commuting or putting the kids in it for drives over 10 minutes or so.
    • Steering is terrifying. I tightened up the box after that video and it's better, but still needs addressing. Drop pitman arm and possibly a durango box are in the future, but I would be willing to dole out serious cash if there was a *good* solution.
    • The lurching and bucking of the aussie lockers front and rear, combined with the loose steering is just too much on narrow high-speed country roads. I plan on pulling the aussies and hopefully replacing them with ARBs and maybe even stepping the 4.88 gearing down to 4.56. I'll order a rear axle from East Coast Gear Supply probably and sell the old axle to recoup a lot of the cost.
    • The hard top has been on for two years because a) It was hardly driven and kept outside and b) The screwholes that hold the windshield channel stripped out. Now that it's in a garage, I can leave the top off and braze or TIG in some nuts for the windshield channel and get the soft top back on (maybe even invest in a new sunrider soft top?
    • Speaking of softop, I love my RockHard cage in the front, but the rear spreader bar doesn't add much lateral support and prevents the soft top from coming down without being pulled apart. Now that I'm confident in my welding abilities, I plan on either welding in some triangulation or at least welding some clamp style bolt on additions.
    • I pulled the CB radio unit because I realized it was held on around head level by a single bolt and it was going to brain me if I ever got in an accident, so I need to fabricate a new mount for that.
    • She still runs strong and shifts smooth and makes me love her, though, so she'll at least get some time out on new 8 acres pulling trailers of firewood and whatnot until I get her roadworthy again.
  • The JK, on the other hand, has been a workhorse and a half. Up until we bought the minivan, it was a baby hauler while simultaneously hauling trailer after trailer of our stuff to the new house over an hour away, lumber on the roof rack, plows from across the state, 3 or 4 new motorcycle projects, and generally running without a hiccup.
  • I will never modify that vehicle. It's too darn dialed in to mess with. And now that Dianna is driving all across Michigan to various camps for work, often with trailers, it makes no sense to mess with perfection.
  • The one area that does need attention on the JK is the soft top and half doors. They're noisy, cumbersome, and starting to get a little hard to see-though with all the scratches. So hopefully for Christmas this year I will get her a set of Retrofit Offroad Half Door Sliders and start keeping an eye out on craigslist for gently used hard tops. It'll go a long way to making it more comfortable on her 4 and 5 hour drives.
  • Long story short, I just bought a house/car/kid/3 motorcycle projects and we have a trip to New Zealand next spring, so money is tight and most of the YJ stuff will get put off until 2018, but that just gives me plenty of time to start planning and finding parts. Because I miss that vehicle and as much as I freaking love my mini-van (I don't get all the hate. They're super practical and modular vehicles), I think the Jeeps will create much fonder memories for my kids and I want to be able to share that with them.

So that's the long update. Both vehicles are kickin', if a little neglected and will hopefully start getting attention again as soon as I whittle away at the long list of projects above them on my list.

post #440 of 440 Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
CrawlingForward
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also, turns out I live right next to, and pass on my commute, they guy who built this awesome thing!

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/11/mee...gler-with.html

Not to mention these:

The shop's name is Unofficial Use Only. Just some super cool stuff.
kvesi122 likes this.

Tags
backpacking , dogs , pizza cutter , simple , sleeper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.