Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction

Tags
1984 cj-7
37K views 192 replies 46 participants last post by  diddy2003 
#1 ·
This is what I picked up. This is the ebay listing from when the guy bought the jeep in 12/07. He has since rebuilt the transmission, did all new brake lines and cables, and did some other stuff. I am going to fix the rot when I get the jeep. Minor and he has the metal. Its only going to cost me 300 bucks to fix it and paint the hood, which has some peeling. The rot is right under the driver door. The rest of the metal is good. The Jeep started right up and it has a current inspection sticker. The guy was driving it up until about November, when he bought a newer wrangler. Frame is good too. The only blemish on the body is the rot.

The jeep does not come with the plow. This is how it looks. Has about 84k on it now.

This is my first post. So what do you guys think? I paid 1500 for it.

See less See more
#160 ·
Replaced the shock mounts. Glad I did! Also the shop realized that one of the new bilstein shocks was leaking. That was swapped for a new one today. Took it wheeling a bit. The 4:1 transfer case is a HUGE difference.

And the old shock mounts. What's left of them . . .

Reactions: SKT
#161 ·
#162 ·
I'm trying to come up with some ideas for safely taking the dog with me in the back of the CJ. It doesn't appear that cargo nets are available, probably due to the age of the vehicle, but some other options are out there. I am thinking of a harness I can put on her that attaches to the seat belt clasp, which is bolted to the floor. I would removed the rear seat. Anyone have a system like this?

https://gearjunkie.com/dog-seatbelt-harness

http://www.ruffwear.com/Load-Up-Harness

#164 ·
#165 ·
I had my friend install some IPF headlights with Hella Bulbs. HUGE difference. Ever since the new motor, I've been driving the Jeep a lot at night. These new headlights awesome. Well worth it.

Does anyone know where I can get a new center cap for my steering wheel?

And just a motor shot.

#166 ·
When I disassembled mine, I found heavy rust between the front shock mounts and the frame due to trapped crud. So I drilled a 1/4" hole in the shock mount at the bottom to allow water to drain out in the future.

#167 ·
Disregard on the cap. Rummaged through my friend's shop and found a ratty cap that was a match. Those allens are just cheap plastic. I took one off and melted/glued it to mine.

And better than spending 350 bucks on a complete original!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222612771773

Jeep CJ 5 7 8 Laredo OEM Leather Steering Wheel with horn button and center cap

#168 ·
Disregard on the cap. Rummaged through my friend's shop and found a ratty cap that was a match. Those allens are just cheap plastic. I took one off and melted/glued it to mine.

And better than spending 350 bucks on a complete original!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222612771773

Jeep CJ 5 7 8 Laredo OEM Leather Steering Wheel with horn button and center cap
Got any more? I need one.

Sent from my toolbox using JeepForum phone app

#169 ·
REDnBLUES said:
Got any more? I need one. Sent from my toolbox using JeepForum phone app
I just have the ratty one. He didn't have any others. The cap I stole the fake Allen off of was also missing the center piece that says Jeep. If I come across a good one, I will let you know.

#172 ·

Just a couple pictures. Only an observant person will notice that the headlights are different than the originals. I heard emblems at horsepower, at least stickers do, so I added a new reproduction AMC V8 emblem to both sides. The blue is facing towards the front on both sides, like the flag, so they are actually different emblems. Also added a CJ7 and AMC Jeep emblem to the rear. Then mounted a drake mount and extinguisher.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...rce=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping

https://www.quadratec.com/products/98003_00XX_PG.htm

#173 ·

The emblem from the other side. Starting to get cold a night. I started keeping the half doors behind the rear seat and the bikini top under the seat. Makes a huge difference.

#177 ·
The 360 was re-built prior to me buying it. It has about 10,000 miles on the re-build. .30 over and it has a high performance race cam. I am not sure of specs, but the thing screws. It has a mild lump to it on idle, and revs up fast. My buddy that put the motor in, that works at the Jeep place, said its one of the healthiest 360s they have had. It also has an HEI, Flexalite Electric fan, Holley truck avenger 670 cfm carb, better spark plugs and wires, K&N, duel flowmaster delta flow 40s, and its had the oiling mods done to it in the front. I think that's it. I really like it. Its hilarious and sounds insane.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...er-braking-upgrade-jeep-power-brake-boosters/

Its the Navajo Brake Booster. Its awesome. I should have done it a long time ago. Its about 300 bucks.

#183 ·
Finally took the top off. Tuffy lock box installed as well as a manual choke. Did some other things I'm probably forgetting. I did have to replace the new 3 core radiator. The first one had pin holes in it and was leaking. Replaced under warranty.

#184 ·
Just to update. After issues with two separate brand new radiators leaking, I ended up going with an aluminum Griffin radiator. I also needed a power steering bracket and was able to find a NOS, with even the mopar sticker still on it. Other than that, been enjoying the Jeep, well until the AMC 20 Trac lok case exploded and took out my rear end. Now for Dana 60 time. It is at the axle shop now. It's a Dana 60-2 and will be getting a Truetrac.

Reactions: Rsb201
#189 ·
Just to update. After issues with two separate brand new radiators leaking, I ended up going with an aluminum Griffin radiator. I also needed a power steering bracket and was able to find a NOS, with even the mopar sticker still on it. Other than that, been enjoying the Jeep, well until the AMC 20 Trac lok case exploded and took out my rear end. Now for Dana 60 time. It is at the axle shop now. It's a Dana 60-2 and will be getting a Truetrac.

That sucks about the trac lok. That's the 3rd one I've heard of breaking off.

#185 ·
Just got the axle back. Some changes to the original plan. The brakes on both the 20 and on the 60 couldn't be used. So we decided to go with these:
https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-6005AB

Also, the 60 actually had a powerlok LSD already in it, so decided to rebuild it and go with that. But overall, it's been narrowed and is ready. Just needs some other minor things, like e brake cable and paint.

#187 ·
Dana 60 is in. Crazy how much bigger it is. The brakes are a nice improvement. The E Brake actually works, and works really well. It will take a bit to get used to driving with a functional LSD. The driving behavior is a bit different, but overall, happy it's in.

#192 ·
How much did it cost to have your axles narrowed ? And was the only option to have the axle shafts narrowed as well or were there jeep cj widetrack dana 60 axle shafts available in the aftermarket ?

Reactions: Deer-Slayer_5
#193 ·
I don't think there is a such thing as a direct bolt on 60. To me, this was a great option for what my choices were at the time. My bud sold me the 60, and it didn't need a re-gear and had a LSD. Finding a wide track 44 is difficult and not inexpensive, and would most certainly need a re-gear. The issue was that the axle shafts in the 60-2 can't be narrowed due to their construction. So I just bought new shafts to the correct length. Anything is available brand new. I could have just bought a 60 or 44 brand new for a widetrack, but that's getting expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.