My New to me '84 CJ-7. First Jeep and first post too. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My New to me '84 CJ-7. First Jeep and first post too.

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #16
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

I think it came out pretty nice. Painting the wheels, aligning it, possibly installing rear jeep hi back seats, and putting the rear flares on today.

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Looks way better than the rust bubbles, I hope you dealt with every rust issue.
Weren't the wheels chrome ?
Please tell me you putting the CJ rear flares back on, And getting rid of the hideous YJ flares.
Good Job, Keep up the good work!
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
Looks way better than the rust bubbles, I hope you dealt with every rust issue.
Weren't the wheels chrome ?
Please tell me you putting the CJ rear flares back on, And getting rid of the hideous YJ flares.
Good Job, Keep up the good work!
I don't know about the wheels. They are poorly painted silver now, which will be fixed soon.

I kind of screwed up on the flares. I didn't think to check the mounting prior to paint. I should have filled the YJ flare mounting holes. I didn't. Looks like I have to fill and re-paint now or just run YJ flares. I am not happy about it. Sucks.

I did find baseball glove leather seats, front and rear, out of a Renegade. Those will look better than the garbage Nissan seats in there now.
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #19
Dave5liter

Look closely at the wheels. It mat not be silver paint. You'll know better than i because you have them there, but the original chrome wheels came with a factory clearcoat that tends to get hazy over time. If that's the case you can strip them and re-clear them in a weekend. My son and I bought a set and did this. I attached the before and after...Your jeep looks great btw. Good inspiration for me.
image-2222095794.jpg  
Dave5liter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5liter

...the original chrome wheels came with a factory clearcoat that tends to get hazy over time.

If that's the case you can strip them and re-clear them in a weekend.

My son and I bought a set and did this.

I attached the before and after.
Wow, those turned out looking great!

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but could you share the details on how you went about getting them to look so good?

Thanks

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
Dave5liter

For obvious reasons, the wheels can't have any structural damage and hopefully minimal flaws in the steel (rust included). That will show through when you're done. I sprayed each wheel with Klean-Strip's Auto Strip Finish Remover. Let it bubble up the clear and gently scraped with a plastic putty knife. After the majority of the clear was removed, I went in with a water hose and rag to get the small bits. Dried the wheel completely and repeated a second time. After the old clear was gone and the wheel was prepped, I used Duplicolor's High Performance Wheel Coating Clear. The instructions call for two light coats followed by a medium coat. This produced a heavy orange peel look, so I went with a single medium to heavy coat and achieved a glass-like finish. Not certain how durable it will be as I've only got about 3 months on the wheels since I did them. Most people can't believe they are original wheels.
image-192156148.jpg   image-1571958569.jpg  
Dave5liter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Woah, those wheels came out great!! Looks like I will have to look at them a little bit more closely. I just figured that they were worn silver.
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #23
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

So I took a look at the wheels. They appear to be black wheels that had been painted silver. The insides of the wheels are black and, when I removed the wheel weight, there was black under it. So it looks like I will just repaint them silver.

Also, my buddy is going to fill the YJ flare holes so I can put the CJ flares on. After the repaint of that area, we will wet sand the entire thing and smooth out the finish. It should look pretty good then.
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy2003 View Post
So I took a look at the wheels. They appear to be black wheels that had been painted silver. The insides of the wheels are black and, when I removed the wheel weight, there was black under it. So it looks like I will just repaint them silver.
The factory wheels never came black, So you might have another layer to get through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy2003 View Post
Also, my buddy is going to fill the YJ flare holes so I can put the CJ flares on. After the repaint of that area, we will wet sand the entire thing and smooth out the finish. It should look pretty good then.
Excellent
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #25
yleefox

I think it looks amazing already. Post some more photos when u get those flares installed and the paint polished. BTW, what's ur plans for wheels?
Unread 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #26
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
The factory wheels never came black, So you might have another layer to get through.
Thanks. That is what I figured but I wasn't sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yleefox View Post
I think it looks amazing already. Post some more photos when u get those flares installed and the paint polished. BTW, what's ur plans for wheels?
I think I probably will just paint them silver. Not much different from the way they look now, just better looking.
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Here is the Jeep as it sits today. It has been wet sanded, buffed, holes filled, fender flares installed, and the inside of the fender, that was still bare metal, has been painted.

Now it is at the shop getting new jeep seats, with Rugged Ridge covers, and a full tune up. I also am having them put on a bikini top. Nothing fancy, but I don't have a soft top so I want something there just in case it rains. It is coming along pretty well I think.
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
Transorange
1979 CJ7 

Nice work! I like that clean and simple look!
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

So here it is as of today. I found a set of seats out of a '80s renegade for 200 bucks. They are that baseball color. Then I put some rugged ridge neoprene covers on them. The seats I had before were out of a nissan and they were bolted in place. The new seats have all the correct hardware, which is awesome. I also had a minor timing issue and vacuum line issue, which is all fixed now. The best top bikini top was also put on yesterday. I think it came out pretty good. I think I am in to it for around 3 grand now. Pics to follow.
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #30
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Here they are before a good wash. There is still a bit of wet sanding powder on it in the pictures.

Tags
1984 , cj-7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.