Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction

Tags
1984 cj-7
37K views 192 replies 46 participants last post by  diddy2003 
#1 ·
This is what I picked up. This is the ebay listing from when the guy bought the jeep in 12/07. He has since rebuilt the transmission, did all new brake lines and cables, and did some other stuff. I am going to fix the rot when I get the jeep. Minor and he has the metal. Its only going to cost me 300 bucks to fix it and paint the hood, which has some peeling. The rot is right under the driver door. The rest of the metal is good. The Jeep started right up and it has a current inspection sticker. The guy was driving it up until about November, when he bought a newer wrangler. Frame is good too. The only blemish on the body is the rot.

The jeep does not come with the plow. This is how it looks. Has about 84k on it now.

This is my first post. So what do you guys think? I paid 1500 for it.

See less See more
#39 ·
Ordered up a 4 inch lift, heavy duty shackles, stainless steel brake lines, and a steering stabilizer today. Should take 1.5 weeks to come in. I did get my tires in today. 33x12.5x15 MTRs. Also got the Jeep back from the paint shop today. There was a crack in the filler, where the steel was replaced, and my buddy wanted to fix it. The doors were also painted and fitted on to the Jeep. I wanted that done because I want to get a soft top and use the hard doors. Its running great but I have a small power steering fluid leak I will need to take care of at some point.

Sorry about the garbage iphone pics.

I will be putting on a set of axles (dana 30/amc 20) with 4.10s at the same time. The front has a Detroit truetrac and the rear has the trac lok. Should work well with the 33s.

#41 ·
The lift just came in today. I am going to try and install it tomorrow. I did end up buying a soft top for it. I think it came out nice. Here are some pictures after I put a coat of wax on the Jeep yesterday.

#42 ·
After the lift and tires today. Getting it aligned tomorrow. It rides great and I really like how it turned out.

It now BARELY fits in the garage. I think it actually hit the arm of the garage door when I pushed it into the back garage. If it didn't it was a difference of a mm or something. Really tight. I how it sits down a bit when I break the springs in.

I just have to find a spare 33 inch tire now.

#44 ·
That is a Rough Country 4 inch lift. There isn't a BL on the jeep. The shackles are just Heavy Duty 3/8s Inch Shackles from Rough Country. They were the smallest I could get. I know what people say on here about RC, but the lift right out of the box rides better than the Jeep did before I put it on. I really like it, but I think I will like it more when I get it aligned and figure out whats going on with the castor geometry. So yes, it is just tires and a 4 inch lift basically. Also, consider getting your MTRs now with the goodyear rebate. I saved 160 bucks on mine with it.

#51 ·
I just washed it so I figured I would snap some pics. Its also the first time I unzipped all the windows and took the doors off. It looks kind of cool I guess but I still prefer just a bikini top. Spare looks good I think.

#53 ·
1 man's opinion for what its worth. I used to drive around like that in my jeep (with the rear side windows off), an found that the wind from driving was starting to strech my softtop fabric at the rear corners.

My solution was to buy used rear windows (side an rear) an replace the plastic with netting similiar to gator net's for tail gates of truck. The end result was a taunt fit with plenty of air flow.

Very nice Rig,
John :2thumbsup:

#52 ·
Had fun with the Patriot Jeepers club on saturday. Pretty fun day. Some pics:

Bunch of Jeeps were there:

Unfortunately I discovered this when doing some stuff to the jeep today . . .

Was sitting on the manifold . . . . It's always something . . . .

#54 ·
Here are some pics from yesterday. I have some parts to be installed in the next few weeks. They include: retro sound radio, new speakers for the dash and for the roll bar wedges I got, CB radio, hedman header, full exhaust, 2100 carb, intake, and a new bumper with D rings and 3 inch receiver.

I just had to put on a wreath for Christmas :laugh:

#55 ·
The retrosound and CB are now installed. What a difference!!! The radio is great and the speakers sound awesome. I even managed to install a new HD steering shaft. That made a nice difference too.

Attachments

#56 ·
I also finally picked up a winch. It has a new roller fairlead and works great. I have yet to install it. I will be picking myself up a warn winch plate sometime soon. I hope to have it on by the middle of march.

Attachments

#57 ·
JohnFM3 said:
1 man's opinion for what its worth. I used to drive around like that in my jeep (with the rear side windows off), an found that the wind from driving was starting to strech my softtop fabric at the rear corners.

My solution was to buy used rear windows (side an rear) an replace the plastic with netting similiar to gator net's for tail gates of truck. The end result was a taunt fit with plenty of air flow.

Very nice Rig,
John :2thumbsup:
Cool! I never thought of that. Maybe I can get some from bestop? I will try the used route but I would think that most people would only sell as a complete top.

#62 ·
she looks purdy sitting on the front of that jeep :thumbsup:

side note: i saw in a previous picture you had FF on your licence plate, who do you fight fire with? :cheers2:

#64 ·
she looks purdy sitting on the front of that jeep :thumbsup:

side note: i saw in a previous picture you had FF on your license plate, who do you fight fire with? :cheers2:
The Holyoke Fire Department in Holyoke MA. Full time, civil service dept with about 140 guys and 6000 calls maybe a year. No ambulance. Just fire for us. I am a medic though. :thumbsup:

#65 ·
I actually just liked the white letters out more. I couldn't get them for the new generation MTRs. The spare is a first gen MTR and I like the white block letters better than the newer outline style. I thought it looked cooler with the white letters facing out on the spare. :cheers: Nice catch.

#67 ·
Davis77Cj said:
Awesome i am in the process of getting in now lol, i grew up with dad at the fire house as he was the captain and was always there :2thumbsup:
What department are you trying for? Civil service? How many guys on the job? Good luck. So many guys want to get on my job. It's really hard. I lucked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.