My New to me '84 CJ-7. First Jeep and first post too. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My New to me '84 CJ-7. First Jeep and first post too.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-26-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

My New to me '84 CJ-7. First Jeep and first post too.

This is what I picked up. This is the ebay listing from when the guy bought the jeep in 12/07. He has since rebuilt the transmission, did all new brake lines and cables, and did some other stuff. I am going to fix the rot when I get the jeep. Minor and he has the metal. Its only going to cost me 300 bucks to fix it and paint the hood, which has some peeling. The rot is right under the driver door. The rest of the metal is good. The Jeep started right up and it has a current inspection sticker. The guy was driving it up until about November, when he bought a newer wrangler. Frame is good too. The only blemish on the body is the rot.

The jeep does not come with the plow. This is how it looks. Has about 84k on it now.

This is my first post. So what do you guys think? I paid 1500 for it.

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

nice, from the looks of it you got lucky. hard to tell from pics though.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If the frame looks as good as the rest, then you got a great deal.
A lot of work went into that, YJ Tub, new rear cross member, new head gasket.
Looks like a little rust popping through under the doors though.
I would get under and check the rear of the frame were the rear shackles mount first, then the rest of the frame.

I would get some Monroe load levelers on that thing though to support the plow weight. I have a 7-1/2 foot plow on my CJ5 and it does great with plowing. Just power wash the thing when you're done plowing every day.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

The rear of the frame looked good, along with the shackles. Just some surface rust, but it is minimal.

I am undecided if I like the newer body or not. I would rather the CJ-7 body, but not much I can do about it now. The rot is under the driver door, from the front of the door to the back. He has the metal replacement part for it, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

The plow isn't on the jeep. The seller kept it. I didn't want it anyway so no big deal. He does have half doors I am taking. They are blue so they also need some paint. My friend sold me some goodyear wrangler AT/S(P) in 31x10.5. They have 1500 miles on them and I am getting them cheap. Probably 200 bucks. I thought that was a good price.
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Looks good and a great price! What about the YJ tub don't you like? It looks like the PO put the CJ tailgate on so everything else will be indistinguishable unless the gas filler is still on the drivers side (and the rear flares obviously). The flares can be changed out for CJ ones to give the rear wheel openings the classic rounded CJ look. Both tubs have the same size and shape opening....it's just the flares that are shaped differently.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Instead of fixing the rot under the door, may want to consider doing the boatside rockers, where you cut under the door from front to rear of the tub an replace it with a rocker cover that sits in under the jeep at a 45 degree angle. Fix 2 things with one mod.

As an example found on OffRoadEvolution

XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Looks good and a great price! What about the YJ tub don't you like? It looks like the PO put the CJ tailgate on so everything else will be indistinguishable unless the gas filler is still on the drivers side (and the rear flares obviously). The flares can be changed out for CJ ones to give the rear wheel openings the classic rounded CJ look. Both tubs have the same size and shape opening....it's just the flares that are shaped differently.
I will have to look in to what it would take to make the opening round. That's really the only thing that bothers me because it doesn't look like a true CJ, haha.
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM3 View Post
Instead of fixing the rot under the door, may want to consider doing the boatside rockers, where you cut under the door from front to rear of the tub an replace it with a rocker cover that sits in under the jeep at a 45 degree angle. Fix 2 things with one mod.

As an example found on OffRoadEvolution

Hmmm, that looks interesting. Thanks for the post. I am leaning more towards a stock/restored look, but I will look in to that. I was only going to do a 2.5 inch lift with bigger wheels. The rest of the jeep I just wanted to get as close to new as possible. It will not be a hardcore off roading jeep. Probably a street jeep with the occasional woods day.
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
justjeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy2003 View Post
I will have to look in to what it would take to make the opening round. That's really the only thing that bothers me because it doesn't look like a true CJ, haha.
The opening is already rounded, same as the CJ7 tub. The YJ flares match the rounded opening if you look at them from inside the fenderwell, but the outer part has the "Scrambler" style mold to it. All you have to do is remove those and install the rounded CJ flares.
justjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Wow, Only $4,400 for a rust bucket
I hope you paid at least $4,000 less than he did.
Don't be surprised when you find more rust when you go to fix only what you can see now.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeeps View Post
The opening is already rounded, same as the CJ7 tub. The YJ flares match the rounded opening if you look at them from inside the fenderwell, but the outer part has the "Scrambler" style mold to it. All you have to do is remove those and install the rounded CJ flares.
Oh cool! That is definitely good to know! Thanks for the heads up.
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
Wow, Only $4,400 for a rust bucket
I hope you paid at least $4,000 less than he did.
Don't be surprised when you find more rust when you go to fix only what you can see now.
Well I hope that's not true. I paid 1500 so I still think its a good deal. My buddy, that has been working on jeeps for 30 years, said it was in great shape minus that rot. I hope that's the case.
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Just in case anyone was having the same issue:

I had been looking for replacement steel WITH the Jeep logo embossed in the steel, like it was originally. Something that actually said Jeep too, not Joop. Well, after calling around, and talking to quadratec, they told me that I could not get replacement panels with the logo on them. Most people told me that my only option was going to be finding a good panel in a junk yard and cutting it out. I was not about to do that. Then a buddy called me last week and showed me this website:
http://www.classicent.com/jeep.php

They are a company that makes replacement panels WITH the logo on them. Very nice. I bought one immediately. I did not want to replacement the rotted panel with a blank one and this solves the problem.

They even just sell the embossed jeep logo:
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

And so it begins! Already has the new embossed Jeep logo on the passenger side. My buddy started on it yesterday I think. I am pumped. I just picked up some barely used 31s and a set of axles with 3.73 gears for it.

I also ordered some new oem CJ fender flares. It should look much better soon. Those half doors in the background, they are blue, are also being repainted black. I probably won't use them, but I figured I would paint them over anyway.
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Progress as of today:

Tags
1984 , cj-7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.