My "New" '97 TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My "New" '97 TJ Build

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My "New" '97 TJ Build

Hey there, traded my '88 YJ for a '97 TJ that needed a lot of work. Needed a new window setup for soft top, new floor, paintjob,and muffler.

The floor was horrible, the front drivers pan had literally a foot-wide hole held on by a 1" strip of sheet metal, So that needed to be changed out.

So far I've:
-Redid floor and sprayed bedliner on it and put chassis save on frame
-removed rollcage due to floor repair
-Removed flares
-Bought Trailmax II seats
-Repainted dash parts black
-Setting up a paintjob for this weekend( been thinking of either the new natural green color, the original 97 moss green metallic color or the moss green pearl).
-just ordered the warrior products rocker guards from quadratec in black diamond plate.
-new fenders installed
-Upgraded to 33's on 15x8 cragar soft 8's.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions on the paint job

TJGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I dropped my Jeep off to be painted last monday, they said it'll be about a week for it to be completed. ill get a picture of the paintjob so you guys can see the color that I went with.
The Warrior Rocker Armor ended up coming literally the next day for some reason which was of great surprise to me haha.
still in the search for upper windows, a black tinted Rear window and the front drivers side factory flare.
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

heres the floor primered.then painted minus the leaves haha

painted with rust-o-leum bedliner
tj-floor.jpg   tj-floor-2-.jpg  
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

floor looks great! do you have any pics of welding the floors in?
kvesi122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey thanks man, unfortunately it was at night when I was welding and when I tried taking a picture with my cell phone it was way to crappy
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Heres the jeep (sorry for bad quality, need to start using the DSC-H7 more) after the new fenders installation, and after the tires were put on. since then ive repaired all body rust, took off the steps, and removed the flare extensions. now its in the process of being painted

im not letting you guys know of the paint until after, but i hope you guys will like it as much as I hope to
first-pic-tj.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and ive bought new side rear windows since this, but I still need the rear main window
Unread 10-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Waiting to see some paint.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sounds good, it should be done early this week. The moment I get it home ill take a picture... or 5 haha
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just picked this up locally for $60. my stereo was dirty and scuffed up and from an old ranger, and only had 1 working front dash speaker, the other speaker that was in the jeep was blown.

today I Got:
-Stock black 99 TJ Stereo clean as a whistle
-new aux cord for ipod
-2 stock speakers for dash
-2 stock rear speakers
-2 6x9 Sony Xplod Subs.

ive never done car audio before, just home audio so it should be fun for a newbie like me. (tips?) came with no wires but I know I need to get some sort of wires... and put them somewhere... I told you i've never done car audio before haha

just gotta get the jeep back for the Install
sound-setup.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

lookin good man! any pointers on the rust repair then? haha i'm heading down that road very soon
kvesi122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
DrChilliWillie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks Great
DrChilliWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #13
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGrunt View Post
Just picked this up locally for $60. my stereo was dirty and scuffed up and from an old ranger, and only had 1 working front dash speaker, the other speaker that was in the jeep was blown.

today I Got:
-Stock black 99 TJ Stereo clean as a whistle
-new aux cord for ipod
-2 stock speakers for dash
-2 stock rear speakers
-2 6x9 Sony Xplod Subs.

ive never done car audio before, just home audio so it should be fun for a newbie like me. (tips?) came with no wires but I know I need to get some sort of wires... and put them somewhere... I told you i've never done car audio before haha

just gotta get the jeep back for the Install
One big thing is that the stock headunit doesn't put a lot of power out to the speakers. You're using stock HU and speakers so it won't really matter as much.. but changing to a higher powered headunit is the most efficient way to get clearer and louder sound. The 6x9"s should use an amplifier IMO.
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvesi122 View Post
lookin good man! any pointers on the rust repair then? haha i'm heading down that road very soon
haha all I can tell you is be thorough, also it's cheaper and just as good imo if you just patch it with a welder, instead of buying it brand new. however the fenders I had on there were far far too gone. Don't skimp on taking all the rust off, lightly tap the area around the rusted hole to see if the surrounding area needs to be done too. I had what appeared to be a small 2" hole in the tailgate, but because of all the rust that wasnt on the surface, it ended up being shot about a good 6" diameter hole
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
TJGrunt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChilliWillie View Post
Looks Great
Thanks man, cant wait to see how the paintjob came out

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.