My Maine-iac XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Maine-iac XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My Maine-iac XJ

Well I guess I have finally done enough 'stuff' to my XJ to give it its very own build thread! WOO!

So, where to begin. Well I guess the history of the rig would suffice.
I purchased my beloved XJ in July, 2008 for $1,000 with 190,000 miles on the clock. It ran (and still does run) like a beauty and has yet to have any major problems. I did have to replace the front discs because the pads were bad and did not find that out until they were metal on metal. Oh well, now I have brandy new ones!

So, the very first mod I did was put my CB from my exploder in it!

Then I painted the rusty, white stock rims black! (sorry no pics, I used the playing card trick) and threw some wal-mart baja lights on to
And went wheeling here and there on 4 wheeler trails.

Got a ski-box for winter! (I love to ski)
And then purchased a mix-n-match 2" lift kit.
1.75" RE coil spacer
2" OME heavy load leaf packs
4 RC Nitro 9000's
Total Cost=$460
I went for the mix and match because I wanted good springs and decent shocks and I thought my choices would do well. (oh and they did)
Sooooo before I was sagging a little over an inch in the back

ugghhh I bottomed out whenever I had backseat passengers and hit a big bump. ouch

Build continued on next post....

4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Front B4

Back before
boo saggy springs!

Here's the leaf springs (FLAT)

Here are the replacement parts

And taking apart the rear end (haha)

Oh, and GREAT news! I ONLY broke 3 out of 4 upper rear shock bolts!
Hooray! (NOT!)
It was alright though, my dad has a couple tap sets and we drilled them out and tapped them and put in some bigger bolts.
I also broke 2 socket extensions, one the tip snapped off and the other wrapped around itself because me and my dad had to use a 3 foot pipe to get the leaf spring bolts to budge...and that was with a torch too! He decided to use his craftsman one so we could stop breaking them.

The back took 6 hours total and I netted 2.75" of lift over stock...4" over what I started with.
Because it took so long to do the back I had to wait a week until the next weekend to finish the front, so I hot rodded it for a week I got a few comments. (sorry no pic, I should've snapped one but didn't think of it)
The front took 3 hours, no coil compressors, just 4 pry bars and some clamps, it worked. It was NOT pretty though.

Results NEXT!
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14

Last edited by 1996BlackXJ; 12-03-2008 at 08:29 AM..
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Anyways, the result
Back

Front

The whole thing!

The set up rides like a cherokee dream! The leaf springs are like stock, and I kept the stock springs out front and the shocks stiffened the ride a bit, but for the better. All in all I was extremely impressed!
But I do have some slight vibration at 25-35mph, I have not decided if I will drop the t-case or not.

So that's how I sit today (on the outside)
I will add my headunit, antenna and speaker stuff tomorrow, I need to get to bed, I have school tomorrow! (or maybe a snow day...4" predicted! woo!)

oh and I did not put my lift on in the white garage you see, I used a big garage my dad has access to.

Hooray Jeeps!
Unread 12-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I guess no one has anything to say?
Comments, questions?

Anyways
Yesterday I placed my order at the local tire shop for 4 Cooper Discoverer STT - 30x9.50 $730
A little pricey for that size, but that price is including 5% sales tax and complete mounting/balancing. The guy is a great guy to deal with too.
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Barrows
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! "Way to go go thar bub, now take her out and give har the dinna'" "why don't you got them Supah swampahs..." Sorry bad Maine jokes...
Barrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

She looks great man! Sucks about the shocks bolts. That's a serious PITA

What's to come for the future of it? Thow some recovery gear on her?
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pointOH1998 View Post
She looks great man! Sucks about the shocks bolts. That's a serious PITA

What's to come for the future of it? Thow some recovery gear on her?
yup
spring time=new wheels, tow hooks and a junkyard hitch most likely.
I don't have any recovery now but I have pulled my friend out, it wasn't pretty tho

I like the Mainah jokes, sort of

Just remember, "Ya can't get thah from heah" Or just "Ayuh"
Unread 12-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
cw4514
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeasa yougot yur self a good start. You gotta love them shock bolts!
cw4514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
WranglerRush
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good. I want to see what the tires look like on it.
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You make me glad I live in Texas, no snow-no salt-no broken shock bolts (knock on wood).

Great looking jeep, XJs look SSSOOO much better with a 2" lift, shoulda come from the factory like that.
Unread 12-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996BlackXJ View Post
yup
spring time=new wheels, tow hooks and a junkyard hitch most likely.
I don't have any recovery now but I have pulled my friend out, it wasn't pretty tho

I like the Mainah jokes, sort of

Just remember, "Ya can't get thah from heah" Or just "Ayuh"
Sounds like a solid plan. I got lucky and never got stuck before I got some recovery Keep this thread updated. I wanna see this baby evolve
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Alright I was gonna add my stereo stuff a couple days ago but I forgot so here it is.

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-MP232 (CD, radio) 40Wx4
Speakers: 4 5.25" Pioneer Premier 3-ways (200W max, 35W)
I also have a shorty rubber antenna from VIP for $8

I LOVE the way it sounds, one of my rear stock speakers was falling apart so I had the buzz noise when I turned it up even a little. The new 3-ways sound great, the mids and highs are very clean and crisp, with decent lows but I have a sub/amp enclosure that needs fixing (wires) and that will fix that!
Volume wise, they go as loud as stock before they 'bottom out' so to speak.

Here are some pics

I had to trim the door cover to fit the new speaker covers, its not real pretty but hey, it's my jeep and no one in my high school would complain too much because they know it's better than their beater. (80% of students at my school drive beaters, 'good on gas', bah humbug)

and the antenna
Unread 12-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

New Tires!!!!

Hooray! I got my Cooper STT's mounted today!!!
They are awesome! They don't make any more noise than my old tires too, but I can hear them rumble a bit at low speeds...which is nice

They have 5/8" of tread depth so they are a huge upgrade from my old, balding S/Ts.

I will get pics tomorrow because it is dark out now.
then this weekend I will test them
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Here are the pics of my brand new STT's! I went on a mild trail to test them, which is getting worse every time it rains because it is washing out I almost high centered my front diff on a spot that used to be flat.

These pics are from my cousins backyard
flexing, with front and rear swaybars. The rear flexes like it's not attached, but the front is restricted, spring showers bring disconnects (not flowers)

side shot (ignore the neighbors un-used trailer)

And a good shot of the tire tread

The tires work great, it is snowing here right now (6" expected) and when I came home from work I was testing the tires in about an inch of snow, I went in 2wd the whole way and had amazing traction, and braking is a little more before they lock up but that isn't going to get much better no matter what.

Off-road they owned, I walked over everything, though the trail wasn't that tough, it's a four wheeler trail with small rocks and 1-2" of snow and some mostly frozen mud puddles.

ON-road they don't make any more noticeable noise, but I think my flowmaster covers most noises anyways They handle great, and the siping is pretty good. The tire shop installed them at 40psi and I think thats about what they should be run at, I will keep an eye on the pressure and how the tires looks to be touching the ground.

Right now I would give them a 10/10 but that's because I don't know the tread life of these tires. This thread will stay quiet until after christmas anyways, that's when I get a couple small presents to add on!
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #15
digitalcox
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking build. I have the STT's as well and love every bit of them.
digitalcox is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.