My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings" - Page 11 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 437 Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 PM
murfman1967
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chitcago
Posts: 37
Jus read through your entire build, great work! I do have a couple questions, I am assuming you placed the AA mounts on the frame in the location AA recommends. I have read that that location makes for a
Very tight fit with the overflow and WW reservoirs. I am thinking about moving the mounts back 1/2 to 1 inch for a little breathing room without getting to tight with the firewall. The reason I ask is I am doing the swap
*** backwards. I have a bare frame I want to get the mounts welded to along with all my other fab work so I can send it out to get hot dip galvanized before I tear my jeep apart so I have limited down time. It is a big project because I am also stretching the frame 15" an using an unlimited tub. I'm not worried about driveshafts as I am swapping in a 241OR and a 2.72 doubler behind my AX-15 at the same time. Do you think moving the engine mounts back 1" will cause any other issues? Thanks in advance for your insight Murf

murfman1967 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 437 Old 02-09-2014, 07:42 PM
elmoe
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dunedin
Posts: 137
Do you remember what radiator hoses that you used? I used the ones off of my GC 5.9 and pieced them to the original TJ hoses on the radiator side. It works but yours looks neater. Thanks Paul
elmoe is offline  
post #153 of 437 Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton
Posts: 856
Built a cover for my airbox over the weekend-
Attached Images
         

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/
doublins is offline  
post #154 of 437 Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe
Do you remember what radiator hoses that you used? I used the ones off of my GC 5.9 and pieced them to the original TJ hoses on the radiator side. It works but yours looks neater. Thanks Paul
Sorry just replying now- I used factory Durango hoses

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/
doublins is offline  
post #155 of 437 Old 05-24-2014, 04:33 PM
tyjreid
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: muscle shoals
Posts: 26
doublins,do you feel like you still have plenty of power after the swap to 4.10's?
tyjreid is offline  
post #156 of 437 Old 05-26-2014, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjreid
doublins,do you feel like you still have plenty of power after the swap to 4.10's?
Yup, plenty, and highway cruising is pretty great now

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/
doublins is offline  
post #157 of 437 Old 05-26-2014, 09:29 AM
dmgiff
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 964
I second the 4.10s... Ax15 trans, and 35s. 4.88s had it revving to the moon on the highway
dmgiff is offline  
post #158 of 437 Old 05-27-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
I second the 4.10s... Ax15 trans, and 35s. 4.88s had it revving to the moon on the highway
Exactamundo, and first gear would be over before it had even begun, so most of the time I was starting in 2nd from stoplights, essentially making my 5 speed a 4 speed.

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/
doublins is offline  
post #159 of 437 Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 PM
tyjreid
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: muscle shoals
Posts: 26
Cool, thats the kind of feedback I need. I'm running 4.56 right now with 35's and was debating on regearing. I think I'll go ahead and do it. Thanks doublins and dmgiff.
tyjreid is offline  
post #160 of 437 Old 10-27-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton
Posts: 856
Update-

The 5.2 has been running awesome- and completely problem-free since I've dropped it in. Doesn't consume oil or coolant, has smooth, reliable power, and overall has been just fantastic for a junkyard engine (remember i dropped it under the hood with 177K miles already on it, and it's acted anything but old and tired). That said... if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

So....

Just picked up a 5.9 Magnum engine for $250, out of a '96 Ram 1500- I'm going to have it built by a local shop, putting a stroker crank in to make it a 408, which is a popular rebuild option for the 360 (5.9) motors. I'll have it built to be internally balanced so that I can re-use my current flywheel. I'm guessing the AX-15 will likely not last forever behind it, so I better start saving up for one of those built NV3550 Terminator transmissions.... but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

In the meantime, I'll send it off to the machine shop over the winter, so stay tuned, in a couple of months I should have a small block turned big block under this hood. The best part is that it will be a direct swap in place, I won't have to alter a single thing under the hood, just pull the 5.2, replace with the stroked 5.9

The 5.2 motor is and has been awesome, I just find the allure of a 408 cubic inch motor too much to resist... stay tuned

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/
doublins is offline  
post #161 of 437 Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton
Posts: 856
Delete

Delete

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/
doublins is offline  
post #162 of 437 Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 AM
MurdaJs
Web Wheeler
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tustin
Posts: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
Update-

The 5.2 has been running awesome- and completely problem-free since I've dropped it in. Doesn't consume oil or coolant, has smooth, reliable power, and overall has been just fantastic for a junkyard engine (remember i dropped it under the hood with 177K miles already on it, and it's acted anything but old and tired). That said... if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

So....

Just picked up a 5.9 Magnum engine for $250, out of a '96 Ram 1500- I'm going to have it built by a local shop, putting a stroker crank in to make it a 408, which is a popular rebuild option for the 360 (5.9) motors. I'll have it built to be internally balanced so that I can re-use my current flywheel. I'm guessing the AX-15 will likely not last forever behind it, so I better start saving up for one of those built NV3550 Terminator transmissions.... but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

In the meantime, I'll send it off to the machine shop over the winter, so stay tuned, in a couple of months I should have a small block turned big block under this hood. The best part is that it will be a direct swap in place, I won't have to alter a single thing under the hood, just pull the 5.2, replace with the stroked 5.9

The 5.2 motor is and has been awesome, I just find the allure of a 408 cubic inch motor too much to resist... stay tuned
Got a link to the terminator nv3550? I thought the terminator was a glorified ax15
MurdaJs is offline  
post #163 of 437 Old 10-27-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post
Got a link to the terminator nv3550? I thought the terminator was a glorified ax15
It used to be, but I guess they started building the 3550s more recently.

http://www.rsgear.com/products/trans...%E2%84%A2.aspx

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/
doublins is offline  
post #164 of 437 Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 AM
MurdaJs
Web Wheeler
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tustin
Posts: 3,294
That's great, for the ax15 I heard they used toyota supra parts, I wonder what they use for the nv3550. The terminator ax wasn't rated much, if any, better than a stock 3550
MurdaJs is offline  
post #165 of 437 Old 10-27-2014, 04:51 PM
dmgiff
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 964
I just finished the swap about three weeks ago. Loving the 6.8 liter. I searched and called trying to find out about the terminator trans all to no avail. Glad to see you found something on it. I'm just using my ax15 right now with tentative plans for an nv4500 next spring. But I will check into the terminator again maybe.
dmgiff is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome