My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings" - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings"

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #91
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
My 4.0L made 138rwhp totally stock and 150rwhp with few bolt-ons on a mustang dyno.

Would love to see dyno of this V8!!
Mine a 4.0 stroker to a 4.2l...basically minor port & port, slight compression bump, .090 more stroke and .060 over bore. APN header, 2.5" magnaflow catback, 52mm throttle body, map adjuster with 703 (21lbs) injectors. Full renix setup. If I did a ho head swap I would probably be another 10-15 hp & torque above where I'm at now
Also I was on 33s and 3.55s with a 5speed. I swapped in auto axles to ditch my disconnect & 35. It's now on 4.56s. Everything I did my motor up for just under 1200 with ALOT of new parts & upgrades. The gearing sapped some power I'm sure, same goes for the tb. I'm sure I'd pick up some more there as well. I can feel the difference but like doublins said its not a "omg type difference". Deffinetely better though.

From what I've seen and found the renixs dyno in around 100-112hp stock at the wheels. So I'm happy with the gains I got for what was spent, it needed a rebuild so I upgraded a bit while still being a cheap ***

Unread 07-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #92
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Passed MD emissions today with the 5.2 swap

image-412555318.jpg

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #93
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #94
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished reading your thread; it could be my thread too. I finished this swap last year and am on to another huge project right now. I also had 4.88 gears and couldn't stand it on the highway. I went to 4.10s and if I had it to do over, I would probably do 4.56. My mileage is suckier than yours. I average about 11 and I drive it gently trying to coax more mpg out of it, but it is not to be. I am in the middle of a Hughes Air Gap intake swap and lots of folks report mileage gains with that, so we'll see.... Good job on your thread.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #95
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
Just finished reading your thread; it could be my thread too. I finished this swap last year and am on to another huge project right now. I also had 4.88 gears and couldn't stand it on the highway. I went to 4.10s and if I had it to do over, I would probably do 4.56. My mileage is suckier than yours. I average about 11 and I drive it gently trying to coax more mpg out of it, but it is not to be. I am in the middle of a Hughes Air Gap intake swap and lots of folks report mileage gains with that, so we'll see.... Good job on your thread.
Thanks!

Regarding your gearing, what is bad about the 4.10s? Did it make a big difference in acceleration? I thought about 4.56s but didn't think it'd be enough (haven't pulled trigger on anything yet, still have the 4.88s).

Regarding mileage, are you running the stock tune? I had Ryan Hogan (FlyinRyan) tune my 5.2 PCM with an SCT tuner, and we made the thing fricking rip- the stock tune makes the thing a total pig that makes more noise than power. We remapped the timing advance tables, leaned out the A/F at WOT (it runs into the high 10:1, low 11:1 AFR with the stock tune), and adjusted different MAP targets for AFR to richen up some partial throttle stuff. Anyway, long story short, it's got WAY more torque after tuning than the stock tune, well worth the investment IMO.

Let me know how the AirGap swap goes, I've looked at it.

-Chris

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #96
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's not that the 4.10 are all that bad; in fact they cured the problem I felt I had which was the screaming RPM at highway speed. It runs perfectly at highway speed now. Exactly the way I think it was meant to. I turn about 2300 RPM at 65 mph now. But I definitely lost some acceleration that I had with the 4.88s. I did like punching it in first and barking the tires at will. It won't do that now.

I am on the stock tune and you described it perfectly when you said it makes a lot of noise (sounds awesome) but doesn't really go anywhere. To be honest, although it is better than the 4.0, I am little underwhelmed by the swap. If I had it to do over again, I would either go LS or 5.9. I am still considering the 5.9 as it would be an easy swap now that all the hard part is done. Having said that, I had a line on a 5.9 and almost pulled the trigger but figured I'd end up putting at least 2 grand into a rebuild for it and thought well, I could put half that money in the 5.2 and see where I end up. Hence the outrageously expensive Hughes intake manifold. My plan at this point is to get the intake swapped, then, based on your recommendation, talk to FlyinRyan about a tune, and if I'm still not happy, a cam.

Speaking of the tune, could you explain the process to me? Do you buy the tuner and send it to him or pay him and he procures the tuner and then writes the tune?

I am in the middle of a paint job right now and the jeep is in a thousand pieces. The paint is done, but I figured while I have the front end apart, hydraulic bumps would be a good idea. You mentioned somewhere in your thread about HP30 guys... that's me. I redid all my suspension with a custom mid arm build and I have interference issues with the drive shaft to bell housing. Right now I have just over 4" of uptravel in the front. I'm adding the bump stops and then I'm going to do a little creative trimming on the bellhousing and maybe see about a smaller diameter driveshaft to get another inch or so and see how that goes.

Hoping to have it back together by the end of August. Hope I'm not cluttering your thread, but you did a good job writing it and it honestly could be my story as well. I was very intimidated by the swap and the wiring and all of that, but the only cure is to dive in and figure it out as we go. Like you, I think paying $700 for someone to transplant a few wires is outrageous. I enjoyed figuring it out myself. It ain't all that hard....
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #97
anonymousian2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post

Speaking of the tune, could you explain the process to me? Do you buy the tuner and send it to him or pay him and he procures the tuner and then writes the tune?
Bump
anonymousian2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #98
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousian2 View Post
Bump
Whoops, sorry-

I purchased my SCT through Ryan Hogan (flyinryanporting@gmail.com)- You give him the alphanumeric code off of the front of the PCM so he knows what model/version of firmware you have, then he'll send you a base tune.

I used a few Innovate products in conjunction with my innovate wideband to be able to datalog while I drove around, then simply emailed my logs back to him and he'd make adjustments and send me a new tune. We went back and forth a couple of times until we had it where we wanted- I've used the SCT to tune both my stroker motor and now my 5.2- I think each SCT unit is good for up to three PCMs before you have to buy extra licenses through SCT, not sure exactly how it works, but I do know that it's simple to use for the end user. The most complicated part is wiring in a good data logger, but if you're able to do a 5.2 swap, that part is pretty self-explanatory.

Ryan's really knowledgable and responsive, and I've been very happy with him.

Hope this helps.

Unread 07-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #99
anonymousian2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty ignorant of anything in regards to tuning, so with that in mind, what SCT tuner do you have?
anonymousian2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #100
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousian2 View Post
I'm pretty ignorant of anything in regards to tuning, so with that in mind, what SCT tuner do you have?
I used the SCT DCX, but it looks like theyīve discontinued that one and replaced it with the X3, which looks to have some more features.

If youīre really interested in going that route, Iīd talk to Ryan, heīll be able to tell you much more than I can. All I do is data log and talk to him about any concerns or issues, we discuss drivability, power, throttle response, etc etc, we log what data we need, and then he creates a new PCM flash for me that I load into the PCM with the DCX. Then we lather, rinse, and repeat.

Unread 07-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #101
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Thought I check out your build...you did make that look quite painless and economical to boot...where did you get the valve covers....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #102
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Thought I check out your build...you did make that look quite painless and economical to boot...where did you get the valve covers....
Thanks!

Valve covers I bought from Summit, they are Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers- mine were grand cherokee magnum covers, because I wanted them to say ĻJeep,Ļ but they offer them for most any dodge vehicle.

-Chris

Unread 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #103
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Update- so far the jeep has been just totally awesome

Been working on some little things

Repainted center console- used to be spice
image-2606264719.jpg

And installed a homelink garage door opener in the armrest- this works AWESOME, now I can just leave the top off and garage it when arriving home without having to get out and open the door from the touchpad
image-1910800108.jpg

Unread 08-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #104
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also, I wrapped my intake with header wrap, made a custom heat shield to keep hot radiator air away from the filter, and installed an oil catch can just to prevent any possible blowby from causing detonation (I'm tuned with an aggressive timing map).

The motor has 170K on it so I was a little concerned about the possibility, but my fears looked to be unwarranted as there is very very little oil that has collected in it over about 3K miles.

image-592572390.jpg

Unread 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #105
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool. My paint is done, jeep is driveable again, finally. I talked to FlyinRyan and unfortunately the Tuners he needs are out of stock so I'm on hold for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.