My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings" - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #76
FlyinRyan

FlyinRyan was here.....

FlyinRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #77
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
FlyinRyan was here.....

Hey Buddy- thanks for tuning this thing for me! I've been daily driving it to work, it's even more awesome after tuning the PCM

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #78
anonymousian2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since you had to pull a few things from a Ram 1500, do you think that would have been a better donor?
anonymousian2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #79
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousian2
Since you had to pull a few things from a Ram 1500, do you think that would have been a better donor?
It may have been- I did use a few durango parts tho- the intake attachment for the tb, the fuel line, and the throttle cable, I'm not sure if the ram ones would have worked, but they may have

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #80
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Another update- two more tanks of gas and I'm officially averaging 14mpg I had been hovering in the 11-12mpg range with my stroker motor.

The power, sound, and smoothness of the 5.2 is just boss. I am very happy.

Unread 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #81
anonymousian2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
Another update- two more tanks of gas and I'm officially averaging 14mpg I had been hovering in the 11-12mpg range with my stroker motor.

The power, sound, and smoothness of the 5.2 is just boss. I am very happy.
I'm getting 15 mpg in my stock 4.0. As soon as I upgrade my rear axle, I'm making this swap.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #82
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousian2

I'm getting 15 mpg in my stock 4.0. As soon as I upgrade my rear axle, I'm making this swap.
I got 15mpg in my 4.0 when I had 3.73s- after the switch to 35s and 4.88s, I was relegated to 11-12mpg. The 5.2 has me back up to 14mpg and I'm still on 35s w/ 4.88s, so, all else equal your mileage should improve

Unread 06-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #83
anonymousian2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking at a few other threads about the same swap and it seems without a suspension lift, the front driveshaft hits the starter. How much room do you have?
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #84
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousian2 View Post
I was looking at a few other threads about the same swap and it seems without a suspension lift, the front driveshaft hits the starter. How much room do you have?
I still have a low-pinion 30, about 4" of suspension lift, and appropriately extended bumpstops, and have plenty of starter clearance. I have heard that folks with HP30s have significant clearance issues.

Unread 06-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #85
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Attached is the cost sheet for this build- I've been selling off my old stroker parts as well as a couple of other items I have lying around (some motorcycle front/rear stands).

To date, I am only out a little over $500 for this whole swap!
swapcost.jpg  

Unread 06-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #86
jaredjayrad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This writeup is one of the best I've seen! Good work man!
I have a couple of questions for ya:
1. What did you have to do emission wise? I've heard you have to swap over the leak detection pump to do this swap? Did you have to mess with that at all?
2. I'm planning on the same swap, but I want to keep my transfer case and tranny in the same spot. You mentioned that you had to scoot the drive train forward about 2.5". Do you think the engine could go back towards the firewall about 2.5" so I can keep the same location on my transfer case?
3. For the PCM, did you use a dodge manual trans PCM? What did you do about the second upstream O2 sensor?
4. How did you get the fuel line on?
5. What kind of muffler and cat did you use? It sounds awesome on your video!
Thanks
jaredjayrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #87
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredjayrad View Post
This writeup is one of the best I've seen! Good work man!
I have a couple of questions for ya:
1. What did you have to do emission wise? I've heard you have to swap over the leak detection pump to do this swap? Did you have to mess with that at all?
I used my TJ Evap canister, just ran the hose to a bung on the manifold. Since I used my TJ wiring harness as the basis of my wiring, there was no wiring to do for this.

Quote:
2. I'm planning on the same swap, but I want to keep my transfer case and tranny in the same spot. You mentioned that you had to scoot the drive train forward about 2.5". Do you think the engine could go back towards the firewall about 2.5" so I can keep the same location on my transfer case?
I don't know that I'd really want to move it back- you "could" probably move it back a bit, but you'll have two problems. Firstly, the heads will be really close to the firewall where it bumps out on the driver and passenger side. Secondly, access to the distributor, crank sensor, and oil pressure sender would be limited, as would access to the top bellhousing bolts. The only downside to moving it forward is shortening/lengthening driveshafts, but where the AA mounts places the motor is perfect, really. That said, others have moved it back. You could, too- it just seemed better for me to move it forward.

Quote:
3. For the PCM, did you use a dodge manual trans PCM? What did you do about the second upstream O2 sensor?
I used a 98 Ram 1500 manual PCM for my 98 TJ. Neither the 98 Durango PCM I had nor the 98 Ram 1500 had a second upstream 02 sensor, only the single one, just like my TJ.

Quote:
4. How did you get the fuel line on?
I will take a picture of how I ran it tomorrow- it has the same fittings as the jeep fuel line- I used the Durango's fuel line, I'll show you how I routed it.

Quote:
5. What kind of muffler and cat did you use? It sounds awesome on your video!
Thanks
The exhaust actually has TWO mufflers and no cat- and I do not throw a CEL for catalyst efficiency (and I have my downstream O2 sensor wired up, I just used a slightly longer than normal bung so it's not directly in the exhaust flow). Where the stock cat was I have a Flowmaster Hushpower 2, which visually looks like a cat to pass the MD visual inspection. Immediately behind that in the stock muffler location is a 2.5" In/Out Flowmaster Super 50. The Jeep sounds AWESOME and is quieter than my old stroker setup was (which I wanted). It's the nicest exhaust note I've ever had on any vehicle I've owned, honestly. I am really really happy with how it sounds, and so are my neighbors, lol. My old single muffler setup with my stroker was loud and it annoyed me every time I opened it up.

Unread 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #88
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build I'm glad I worked out for you!

Sent from my xj
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #89
Mike934

How about a video or 2 I followed to yours and Chris (silverxj) distress with the stroker failures. I was very scared myself to take the plunge, I ended up with a 4.2l mini stroker, long before Dino ever posted "his" setups online early this year. Luckily I didn't stray far from stock, just mild stuff. Ported head, stock valves, .060 over, 3.500 stroke, dual roller, stock rockers. Basically its a stock 4.0 that flows a bit more and has a .042 quench with a 9.0:1 compression ratio. Even runs a stock cam. It's not a fire breather by any means but it moves better than a 4.0. I'm guessing its maybe 30hp/50ftlbs over a stock 4.0 at the crank? 142hp at the wheels on a mustang dyno. Torque wasnt read for whatever reason.
I think stroker issues come in with the big strokers. The rod ratio gets much worse, and piston speeds goes up quite a bit. Both bad. Your almost side loading the piston on the cylinder wall with each stroke, the Hv oil pumps everyone seems to like eat distributor gears, some aftermarket cams not passing Rockwell tests, aftermarket "upgraded" lifters collapsing. It just seemed all bad from the start of me reading about strokers.
I chose to play safe, bump my compression some, mild port work, stock nitrided 1997 168k used cam advanced 4*, 1.56 exhaust valve, stock 1.90 intake, jp timing set, stock oil pump ect ect ect. Hopped up 4.0 rebuild with bolt ons. Quench is half of stock, gets more mileage & passed emissions with flying colors. 31k on it so far. The rod ratio dropped from 1.74 to 1.71 I think? Stroke only change .090". Piston speeds near identical. Tried & true design I added to a bit...a bit slow but better than stock for sure.

Wish I could do a v8 in my xj. Honestly being in Cali, if I was doing a swap I would of done a om617 merc diesel I think. Love your build and glad you cam to a happy solution. Now when you start modding or rebuilding or whatever that 5.2 what's your tranny plans? The 15 should hold what the 5.2l is dishing now but what about later?
You should actually be making more than a stock 5.2l setup in a grand/range? Better headers & full exhaust right off, should help some with mileage to. Maybe slightly more compression and some mild head porting & a s,all cam would do it for ya
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #90
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
It's not a fire breather by any means but it moves better than a 4.0. I'm guessing its maybe 30hp/50ftlbs over a stock 4.0 at the crank? 142hp at the wheels on a mustang dyno. Torque wasnt read for whatever reason.
My 4.0L made 138rwhp totally stock and 150rwhp with few bolt-ons on a mustang dyno.

Would love to see dyno of this V8!!
1998 XJ 2D auto 4.0 160k Red Grey+Blk Si seats 32" MTR 4.5" RC Lift- full leaf Adj U+L Arm RE track bar JKS Disco SYE F+R Hitch SOLID Covers JCR Slider+Skid Plate Magnaflow TruckLites, 150rwHP/174rwTQ=>Sprintex S/C 6 lbs BOOST 7th Injector NO CEL'S 211rwhp/274rwtq 100-140* IAT's==>Now 12 lb BOOST! JeepM62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.