My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings"

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Reply
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #61
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton, Maryland
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin86
I remember most engines with a manual trans having a metal plate between the bell housing and engine. Is there a metal plate that goes between the bell housing and engine? I have the bell housing, but no plate.
www.mopartruckparts.com I think is where I got my bellhousing dust cover, like $40 + shipping. About the only overpriced part I think I used

__________________
98 Sahara 5.2L Magnum V8
Long Arms, 35x12.5 BFGs
Ford 8.8/4.88s

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #62
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton, Maryland
Posts: 683
Parts list for my swap

PART.............................................. ........PART #....................SOURCE.............COST
96-00 5.2 Magnum Engine Core.....98 Durango.............Craigslist..............-$900.00
Engine Harness........................................... ..........................Fabricated.......... $0.00
ECU............................................... ........Ram 1500 M/T........JY..........................-$85.00
AA Engine Mounts...............................AA #713094...........New......................-$180.00
3.9L Dakota Bellhousing....................................... ...............JY......................... -$100.00
Block-hugger headers........................#SUM-G9064-1......New.....................-$254.00
ZJ Power Steering Bracket........................................... ........New......................-$50.00
Durango Serpentine Belt.............................................. ........Donor...................$0.00
Dodge Ram M/T CKP..........................560278701............ ..New......................-$77.00
Pilot Bearing.........................................P4 876056AA...........New.....................-$15.00
Bell housing dust shield.....................52107753AC...........JY .........................-$58.00
JGC Head Covers................................P5007619.... ............New....................-$133.00
Clutch/Flywheel hardware..................P4529113................ Donor..................$0.00
Dodge Ram Flywheel/Clutch/PP..........................................JY.... .....................-$60.00
Dodge Durango Throttle Cable............................................D onor..................$0.00
Fuel Line.............................................. ...52127819AE..........Donor..................$0.0 0
Stock 4.0 Fan Shroud...........................52027925AC....... ...New....................-$80.00
Durango Fan Clutch............................................ ....................Donor..................$0.00
Custom Radiator....................................AE8101 ....................New – Ebay......-$185.00
NP231 Shifter Kit...................................Novak #SK2XC.......New...................-$195.00
New Brake lines....................................22705 100 07...........New..................-$169.00
Front Fender............................................ ...................................New............ ......-$89.00


TOTAL SPENT -$2,570.00
ACTUAL SWAP PARTS -$1,904.00

All costs include tax & shipping I paid
__________________
98 Sahara 5.2L Magnum V8
Long Arms, 35x12.5 BFGs
Ford 8.8/4.88s

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #63
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton, Maryland
Posts: 683
Sensor wiring

Here's the differences in wiring at the sensors for the 98 TJ and 98 Durango

Sensor....Plug Style................Dodge Wiring............................................ ............................Jeep Wiring
IAT.......... Same........................1-BK/LB Ground, 2-BK/RD IAT............................................1-BK/RD IAT, 2 BR/YL Sensor
CPS........Same........................1-VT/WT 5V, 2-BK/LB Ground, 3-TN/YL CPS..................1-TN/YL CPS, 2-BR/YL Ground, 3-OR 5V
CKP.........Same.........................Same..... .................................................. ...............................Same
TPS .........Same.........................1-Ground 2-TPS 3-5V................................................ ..........1-5V 2-TPS 3-Ground
ECT..........Different....................1-BK/LB Ground, 2-TN/BK ECT.........................................1-TN/BK ECT, 2-BR/YL Ground
IAC...........Different....................1-GY/RD #1, 2-YL/BK #2, 3-BR/WT #3, 4-VT/BK #4.......1-VT/BK #4, 2-BR/WT #3, 3-YL/BK #2, 4-GY/RD #1
O2............Same.........................Same... .................................................. ..................................Same
OIL...........Same.........................Same... .................................................. ..................................Same
MAP.........Same.........................Same..... .................................................. ................................Same
COIL........Same.........................Same..... .................................................. ................................Same

For Injectors #7 and #8, just de-pin them from the dodge harness, and pin them into the correct slots on the Jeep harness, plug B (the center plug on the PCM)

Important to note is wiring differences for instance TPS and IAC are wired BACKWARDS from eachother. CPS is also indicated as being wired backwards, but on my jeep the CPS was already wired backwards (in reverse order of what the schematic said it should be) so I didn't have to change it. I'm guessing the Jeep schematic I had was wrong for the CPS sensor...
__________________
98 Sahara 5.2L Magnum V8
Long Arms, 35x12.5 BFGs
Ford 8.8/4.88s

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #64
jpin86
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dallas, ga
Posts: 388
So did you use the Jeep harness and add 2 injector pluds to it?
jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #65
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton, Maryland
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin86 View Post
So did you use the Jeep harness and add 2 injector pluds to it?
That is exactly what I did.


De-loomed entire harness and re-laid it out to match the harness shape of the dodge.



Pinned injectors 7 and 8 (gray and violet wires) into the jeep PCM ĻBĻ plug
__________________
98 Sahara 5.2L Magnum V8
Long Arms, 35x12.5 BFGs
Ford 8.8/4.88s

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #66
jpin86
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dallas, ga
Posts: 388
Cool, thanks.
jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #67
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
Parts list for my swap

PART.............................................. ........PART #....................SOURCE.............COST
96-00 5.2 Magnum Engine Core.....98 Durango.............Craigslist..............-$900.00
Engine Harness........................................... ..........................Fabricated.......... $0.00
ECU............................................... ........Ram 1500 M/T........JY..........................-$85.00
AA Engine Mounts...............................AA #713094...........New......................-$180.00
3.9L Dakota Bellhousing....................................... ...............JY......................... -$100.00
Block-hugger headers........................#SUM-G9064-1......New.....................-$254.00
ZJ Power Steering Bracket........................................... ........New......................-$50.00
Durango Serpentine Belt.............................................. ........Donor...................$0.00
Dodge Ram M/T CKP..........................560278701............ ..New......................-$77.00
Pilot Bearing.........................................P4 876056AA...........New.....................-$15.00
Bell housing dust shield.....................52107753AC...........JY .........................-$58.00
JGC Head Covers................................P5007619.... ............New....................-$133.00
Clutch/Flywheel hardware..................P4529113................ Donor..................$0.00
Dodge Ram Flywheel/Clutch/PP..........................................JY.... .....................-$60.00
Dodge Durango Throttle Cable............................................D onor..................$0.00
Fuel Line.............................................. ...52127819AE..........Donor..................$0.0 0
Stock 4.0 Fan Shroud...........................52027925AC....... ...New....................-$80.00
Durango Fan Clutch............................................ ....................Donor..................$0.00
Custom Radiator....................................AE8101 ....................New – Ebay......-$185.00
NP231 Shifter Kit...................................Novak #SK2XC.......New...................-$195.00
New Brake lines....................................22705 100 07...........New..................-$169.00
Front Fender............................................ ...................................New............ ......-$89.00


TOTAL SPENT -$2,570.00
ACTUAL SWAP PARTS -$1,904.00

All costs include tax & shipping I paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
Here's the differences in wiring at the sensors for the 98 TJ and 98 Durango

Sensor....Plug Style................Dodge Wiring............................................ ............................Jeep Wiring
IAT.......... Same........................1-BK/LB Ground, 2-BK/RD IAT............................................1-BK/RD IAT, 2 BR/YL Sensor
CPS........Same........................1-VT/WT 5V, 2-BK/LB Ground, 3-TN/YL CPS..................1-TN/YL CPS, 2-BR/YL Ground, 3-OR 5V
CKP.........Same.........................Same..... .................................................. ...............................Same
TPS .........Same.........................1-Ground 2-TPS 3-5V................................................ ..........1-5V 2-TPS 3-Ground
ECT..........Different....................1-BK/LB Ground, 2-TN/BK ECT.........................................1-TN/BK ECT, 2-BR/YL Ground
IAC...........Different....................1-GY/RD #1, 2-YL/BK #2, 3-BR/WT #3, 4-VT/BK #4.......1-VT/BK #4, 2-BR/WT #3, 3-YL/BK #2, 4-GY/RD #1
O2............Same.........................Same... .................................................. ..................................Same
OIL...........Same.........................Same... .................................................. ..................................Same
MAP.........Same.........................Same..... .................................................. ................................Same
COIL........Same.........................Same..... .................................................. ................................Same

For Injectors #7 and #8, just de-pin them from the dodge harness, and pin them into the correct slots on the Jeep harness, plug B (the center plug on the PCM)

Important to note is wiring differences for instance TPS and IAC are wired BACKWARDS from eachother. CPS is also indicated as being wired backwards, but on my jeep the CPS was already wired backwards (in reverse order of what the schematic said it should be) so I didn't have to change it. I'm guessing the Jeep schematic I had was wrong for the CPS sensor...

Awesome! This helps allot!!
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #68
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton, Maryland
Posts: 683
FYI- Drove the jeep to work today

First off, I desperately need to regear back down from 4.88s to probably around 4.10s.

I love love love this motor in the Jeep- it should have been a factory option. Itīs certainly not overpowered by any stretch of the imagination, itīs not like it transformed the jeep into a fire-breathing hotrod or anything.

It just feels... right. The power is so smooth and ever present. Itīs just torque on demand in any gear and I donīt have to wind the thing out anymore to get moving.

I know that technically the 5.2 is specīd just a little bit better than the 4.0, at 230HP/300TQ compared to 190HP/240TQ, but let me tell you, it feels like there is WAY more than an extra 60 ft*lbs at the flywheel, probably because the torque is there immediately off-idle. While my stroker probably had more top end horsepower, this motor is definitely torquier than the stroker was and overall feels better than the stroker did- it is quieter, smoother, and more powerful, and mind you that weīre talking about a transplant that has 170,000 miles on it.

If youīre sitting reading this and on the fence about the viability, cost-effectiveness, or difficulty of this swap, just know that although this swap cost me more time and effort than the stroker, it cost about half of the money, and in the end produced a far better result.

My $0.02 from a person who has had a stock 4.0, a stroked 4.7, and a stock 5.2 in their jeep, in that order, and did all of the work to remove and install each one end to end.

-Chris
__________________
98 Sahara 5.2L Magnum V8
Long Arms, 35x12.5 BFGs
Ford 8.8/4.88s

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #69
grainofsalt
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In the sticks of MO
Posts: 500
When You get a few tanks thru it, Let us know the MPGs on this!
__________________
For sale: ZJ disc brake backing plates, Skid plates from a '85 blazer/S10.
grainofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #70
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton, Maryland
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by grainofsalt View Post
When You get a few tanks thru it, Let us know the MPGs on this!
Will do! Hopefully Iīll get some tanks through it before I regear.
__________________
98 Sahara 5.2L Magnum V8
Long Arms, 35x12.5 BFGs
Ford 8.8/4.88s

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #71
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,169
Just want to say nice work man! If I didn't live in California with all of our smog laws I'd be eager to do an engine swap. Oh well..... the 2.5 lives on!
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #72
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton, Maryland
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Just want to say nice work man! If I didn't live in California with all of our smog laws I'd be eager to do an engine swap. Oh well..... the 2.5 lives on!
Not sure how involved the Cali smog laws are, but we have to do regular emissions here in MD, and this Jeep will pass MD emissions no problemo even after the swap. There is a 49-state legal (Federal emissions) version of each PCM and a CARB (California emissions) version- I went with Federal emissions Ram 1500 PCM because thatīs what I needed, but could you not get a motor with the same year or newer, with a California PCM and all emissions equipment, and pass your CA emissions?

FYI I retained all emissions equipment during this swap- re-used Jeep 4.0 EVAP canister, and both my upstream and downstream O2 sensors.
__________________
98 Sahara 5.2L Magnum V8
Long Arms, 35x12.5 BFGs
Ford 8.8/4.88s

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #73
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,169
In CA getting an engine swap reffed and approved is a major undertaking. It can be done, but is overwhelming to say the least.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #74
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton, Maryland
Posts: 683
Update- motor is running GREAT and I'm getting 1-2 mpg better than the I6 (14+ vs 12-13), and I've been in the throttle a lot.

Had a small coolant leak at the upper hose flange that I had to diagnose with a coolant system tester and got it fixed

Also wrapped my intake in header wrap and fabricated a box for the filter to keep hot engine air away from it, because my IATs were a little high with the open filter in the engine bay

So far, SUPER happy
__________________
98 Sahara 5.2L Magnum V8
Long Arms, 35x12.5 BFGs
Ford 8.8/4.88s

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #75
stoveguy01
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bonney Lake, washington
Posts: 193
I did this swap to my 89 yj using a 94 grand cherokee as a donor I used the 4spd auto out of the grand and I absolutly love it Im running 3.73 gears and Im happy with those on 35" tires 4.10 would probally be perfect. I avg between 13-16 mpg depending on how much im into the skinny pedal. like you said its the perfect combination of power and torque. and it should have been an option. I retained all emissions except for the cat and It passes cleaner than my friend 4.0 stock jeep. great job in the swap
__________________
US ARMY COMBAT VET

MODIFY, ADAPT, & OVERCOME
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.