My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings" - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings"

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 05-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #31
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That's GREAT!! So what was the final gremlin?

1998 XJ 2D auto 4.0 160k Red Grey+Blk Si seats 32" MTR 4.5" RC Lift- full leaf Adj U+L Arm RE track bar JKS Disco SYE F+R Hitch SOLID Covers JCR Slider+Skid Plate Magnaflow TruckLites, 150rwHP/174rwTQ=>Sprintex S/C 6 lbs BOOST 7th Injector NO CEL'S 211rwhp/274rwtq 100-140* IAT's==>Now 12 lb BOOST! JeepM62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty
That's GREAT!! So what was the final gremlin?
That's actually the jeep PCM with Durango PCM firmware flashed onto it via my SCT

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #33
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

SCT- was that with ryan's help? How did you do that?
1998 XJ 2D auto 4.0 160k Red Grey+Blk Si seats 32" MTR 4.5" RC Lift- full leaf Adj U+L Arm RE track bar JKS Disco SYE F+R Hitch SOLID Covers JCR Slider+Skid Plate Magnaflow TruckLites, 150rwHP/174rwTQ=>Sprintex S/C 6 lbs BOOST 7th Injector NO CEL'S 211rwhp/274rwtq 100-140* IAT's==>Now 12 lb BOOST! JeepM62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #34
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, Ryan's been working with me on this- there's still a lot of kinks to work out- I've got a ton of codes in the ECU, some expected, like evap & auto tranny, but a couple unexpected like p0207 & p0208, injector circuit failure codes for #7 & #8, even though the injectors seem to be working fine. I'll have to hook an o-scope up to them and see what they're actually doing compared to 1-6. It could be a hardware or software issue- we're looking into it, but the point is that the thing is running right now, and that makes me super stoked!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #35
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So, since I got it running, and since open headers are LOUD and a fire hazard, hehe... I decided to get started ASAP on my exhaust while I wait for my radiator to arrive.

I'm doing a stainless Y-pipe after the collectors, 2x 2.25" into 1x 2.5", the mating up with my existing 2.5" system at the skid plate.

Started routing the 2.25" pipes off of the header flanges...

And wound up with this thing tacked together a couple of hours later.

I've got to weld some o2 bungs into it and test fit the whole system before burning everything in, but so far so good!

Unread 05-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #36
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Minor details is all, which I am sure you will solve. Congrats on a great engine swap, far better than any SBC, etc. Keep'in it in the Family- Jeep-Dodge-Chrysler.
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #37
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Minor details is all, which I am sure you will solve. Congrats on a great engine swap, far better than any SBC, etc. Keep'in it in the Family- Jeep-Dodge-Chrysler.
Thanks!

I finished up the exhaust system last night, my radiator should be here on friday, I figure by saturday it'll be roadworthy.

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #38
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When you did your wiring harness, did you remove the pins from the connectors and reposition them where they needed to be, or cut and splice the wires?
jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin86 View Post
When you did your wiring harness, did you remove the pins from the connectors and reposition them where they needed to be, or cut and splice the wires?
Snip, strip, solder, heatshrink. I did it for lots and lots of wires because i wanted to get the wire length to the connector correct as well. Proper splicing/crimping with solder applied is a pretty bombproof connection.

Unread 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #40
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished up my exhaust- sounds GOOD!! And hooked up the Ram PCM and my Evap system = no CELs!

Last edited by doublins; 05-10-2013 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Fixed video link... whoops
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #41
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Great job!
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #42
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Awesome. Great job!
Thanks!

Radiator should be here today- I am so stoked to drive this thing finally, rather than just look at it.

Unread 05-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #43
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am sure you will be a lot happier with a V8 than the stroker. I built a stroker for my last Jeep. It ran good, but I thought it would have more power. Maybe a computer tune would have made a difference.

I have a 5.9 on a stand that will be going my next project, so I may have to pick your brain when I start my swap.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #44
jeep50

Amazing job!
jeep50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #45
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am sure you will be a lot happier with a V8 than the stroker. I built a stroker for my last Jeep. It ran good, but I thought it would have more power. Maybe a computer tune would have made a difference.

I have a 5.9 on a stand that will be going my next project, so I may have to pick your brain when I start my swap.
Yeah, I was seriously underwhelmed with my stroker- it made "more" power than the stock 4.0, and I had a usable 5th gear on highway hills, but it wasn't anything really special- even with the roller rockers, aftermarket cam, headwork, headers, 2.5" exhaust, etc.

Once Ryan (FlyinRyan on jeepstrokers) tuned it, my low-mid range torque was very improved, and it's operation became smooth as silk, but I was still turning high 7 second 0-60s with the thing.

Maybe I'm spoiled by motorcycles and fast cars, and to others the stroker would have seemed nicer, but to me, the jeep was always just a big pig, and with the stroker, was merely a not-as-slow-and-piggish pig as the stock 4.0. I don't even want to know what driving a 2.5 is like... I can't even imagine!

So, even with the 5.2, I'm not expecting a race car or anything, but I am expecting it to feel like an improvement over the stroker, which was just a big expensive disappointment. I'd never again recommend that route to anyone- the ONLY reason I went that route was the "plug and play" nature of removing my 4.0, building it, then just popping it right back in. V8 swaps were mysterious, seemed like they'd require some sort of special knowledge or skill set that I didn't possess, and the overall thought of them seemed overwhelming.

That being said, now that I've gone through the exercise- the entire thing took me about a month all by myself, using only my brain, hands, and the knowledge readily available on the internet. I would now definitely recommend a V8 swap over a stroker to nearly anyone that has general basic mechanical, fabrication, and electrical skills- if you can wire a stereo, swap an axle, and do a hi-line fender mod, you possess the skills necessary to complete a V8 swap. Oh, and learn how to weld. I used my welder extensively during this swap, mostly for the mounts, shifter modification, and the exhaust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.