My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Magnum TJ, project "Whoops my stroker wiped it's cam bearings"

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I wet-sanded my previous day's paintwork down flat and re-shot it- had the gun settings better this time and used one part reducer, I think the paint was too thick the first time.

Anyway, came out much better- although in the picture i took it looks a little orange-peely, but it's really not too bad, and I expect a quick wetsanding with 1500 and 2000 grit will polish it right up.

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
1slowhatch
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
Well, I wet-sanded my previous day's paintwork down flat and re-shot it- had the gun settings better this time and used one part reducer, I think the paint was too thick the first time.

Anyway, came out much better- although in the picture i took it looks a little orange-peely, but it's really not too bad, and I expect a quick wetsanding with 1500 and 2000 grit will polish it right up.

Looks clean!
1slowhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
1slowhatch
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So, I'm already about three weeks into my Magnum swap, but wanted to start a build thread and kinda go through it chronologically from the start up to where I am right now. Background- I built a no-corners-cut very expensive stroker motor back in 2011, that I had NOTHING but problems with... I had it in and out of the jeep four times in a two year period- first it sunk a valve, then it wiped its cam bearings twice... A warning to anyone even contemplating building a stroker motor... there are a LOT of problems with them and people often keep their motor failures hush-hush, but they're not all they're hyped up to be, and mine caused me nothing but grief and thousands of wasted dollars. If you want, you can view my stroker project thread on that popular jeep strokers dot com site.

Anyway, after it most recently wiped its cam bearings again, and nobody could give me any answers as to how or why... machine shop... Lunati.... Bullet cams.... Durabond... other stroker folks/builders... I decided there was no way I was putting another dime into that motor, so I started looking for alternatives. After much research, I decided on a magnum v8 swap.
I have heard of several similar stories. I myself was considering a 4.6 build, but after reading this and other similar stories, I'm reconsidering.

I'm somewhat surprised more people don't run the 5.2/5.9 Magnum swaps. Reliable, inexpensive, and plenty available..

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
1slowhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #19
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So.. Started it up today, it fired right up but only runs for 5 seconds then dies- I think it may be because I don't have an alternator plugged in... Durango did not have skim.

On a good note though- Gauges all work, and it did fire and run- and the obd port works, pulled 2 codes, both for auto tranny, so looks like all the sensors are reporting ok. I think if I install a belt and plug in the alternator it will stay running... Stay tuned!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So.. Started it up today, it fired right up but only runs for 5 seconds then dies- I think it may be because I don't have an alternator plugged in... Durango did not have skim.

On a good note though- Gauges all work, and it did fire and run- and the obd port works, pulled 2 codes, both for auto tranny, so looks like all the sensors are reporting ok. I think if I install a belt and plug in the alternator it will stay running... Stay tuned!
Awesome. You'll have to get a swap parts list together so all the rest of us can do this swap.
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #21
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cool!
jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #22
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I need some ideas here- it wasn't the alternator... Same thing- starts idles dies.

BUT if I plug in the Jeep ECU it will start and idle on six cylinders and stay running. So it's not wiring, it's PCM related.

As far as I know, the Durango did not have skim? It had the normal old school dodge keys with the black plastic top, just like my jeep keys?

Anyone have any ideas? My two codes I get for the dodge PCM are transmission related

Unread 05-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #23
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

? You put an auto Durango ecu in a manual trans TY. It could be looking for the TCU for the auto?
Maybe 'FlyinRyan' on Jeepstrokers can recode out the auto and change it to manual. He could also code the durango ecu with your VIN.
1998 XJ 2D auto 4.0 160k Red Grey+Blk Si seats 32" MTR 4.5" RC Lift- full leaf Adj U+L Arm RE track bar JKS Disco SYE F+R Hitch SOLID Covers JCR Slider+Skid Plate Magnaflow TruckLites, 150rwHP/174rwTQ=>Sprintex S/C 6 lbs BOOST 7th Injector NO CEL'S 211rwhp/274rwtq 100-140* IAT's==>Now 12 lb BOOST! JeepM62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty
? You put an auto Durango ecu in a manual trans TY. It could be looking for the TCU for the auto?
Maybe 'FlyinRyan' on Jeepstrokers can recode out the auto and change it to manual. He could also code the durango ecu with your VIN.
Yeah I'm soliciting his help on this, too- just looking to cover bases, I'd like to get this bad boy driving-

As far as I know others have driven with manuals with the auto tranny and simply gotten codes.

Interesting discovery though was that the jeep ecu will run the 5.2- course only 6 cylinders get gas and the injector timings all wrong, but it holds an idle... Crazy, right?

Unread 05-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #25
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so yesterday was spent finishing up some things in preparation for putting in the radiator and all that.

First, since all of my gauges and sensors appeared to work on Saturday, I finished looming the wiring harness, and installed it.

Then I started putting the fenders on

Then the grille... the Summit single stage gloss black came out just fine

Check out all the room I have for a radiator & fan- I also started running my heater core hoses, vacuum lines, throttle cable, etc. etc.

Unread 05-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #26
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now that I have all of the pretty pictures out of the way, I need help with the Durango PCM. Is there anything other than SKIM that will cause the engine to start up and idle perfect for 3-4 seconds, then immediately shut down? It's not dying for lack of fuel, air, or spark, it's like the PCM shuts down.

If I install the Jeep PCM, it starts and runs and stays running, albeit only on 6 cylinders, so that rules out distributor, coil, fuel, air, or a wiring problem... it's like the Durango has SKIM, but I don't think that SKIM was an option on the 98s, and also the Durango keys look like the non-SKIM keys, like this:

I need some help!

-Chris

Unread 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So maybe you need a 5.2 manual ecu non SKIM, that might be a rare bird. I looked on ebay and 5 speeds came with the 3.9L V6, can't find a 5.2L manual. IDK if the 5.2 was even available with the manual, if it was, it must indeed be rare.

What did Ryan have to say?
You might also try Sidewaysstarion ?sp on naxja. He is sharp with ecu's and has a connection with ChrisTuned-he would know.
1998 XJ 2D auto 4.0 160k Red Grey+Blk Si seats 32" MTR 4.5" RC Lift- full leaf Adj U+L Arm RE track bar JKS Disco SYE F+R Hitch SOLID Covers JCR Slider+Skid Plate Magnaflow TruckLites, 150rwHP/174rwTQ=>Sprintex S/C 6 lbs BOOST 7th Injector NO CEL'S 211rwhp/274rwtq 100-140* IAT's==>Now 12 lb BOOST! JeepM62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
So maybe you need a 5.2 manual ecu non SKIM, that might be a rare bird. I looked on ebay and 5 speeds came with the 3.9L V6, can't find a 5.2L manual. IDK if the 5.2 was even available with the manual, if it was, it must indeed be rare.

What did Ryan have to say?
You might also try Sidewaysstarion ?sp on naxja. He is sharp with ecu's and has a connection with ChrisTuned-he would know.
5.2 manuals were plentiful in Dodge Ram 1500s and Dakotas, FYI. I found quite a few 5.2 M/T Ram PCMs on www.car-part.com when I looked today- I picked one up just in case.

Unread 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's ALIVE!!!!! Muhuhuhahaha

Last edited by doublins; 05-10-2013 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Fixed video link... whoops
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #30
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

WOOHOO!!! Awesome job!
jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.