My little YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My little YJ

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

wow, great work on those tires. Any balancing issues?

Unread 11-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
mudmovers
1995 YJ Wrangler 

looking good, love the green color and the tires came out sick! The cookie cutter width is just so cool...total opposite of ours at 14.00 wide, so it looks drastically different! My concern, and maybe unmerited because I'm not sure of the wheeling you get in to... Is there any possibility of your front shackles camming over, I.E., when you've flexed out the front completely into droop, could they possibly close up and in, rather than back and out? The angle looks to be a little off. Just a thought/concern? Any problems so far?
Unread 11-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #18
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the great comments. The swampers would not balance on a computer spin balance machine. I bought an old school bubble balancer and they balanced up real nice. Took 9.5 oz for the best tire, 13.5 oz for the worst. used stick on weights.

As far as the front shackles go it is a problem. I need to install longer springs. Which I already have. I have a set of grand wagoneer springs which are just about the same length center pin to one end as the wrangler. but about 1.5 to 2 inches longer in the other direction. Still cleaning up the springs in preparation. As a temporary solution I have installed a set of bumpstops just in front of the shackle so it cant fold up against the spring.

Oh yeah wheeled the snot out of it today, performed flawlessly!

One other mod I forgot to mention earlier was flush mount LED turn/brake and reverse lights.
flush-mount-lights.jpg   photo0727.jpg   photo0726.jpg  
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Received my alloy usa axles, hd diff cover. Picked up a new set of brake shoes, and both rear e brake cables. Will be tearing apart my rear axle Saturday most likely. Also need to prep the housing so a friend of mine can weld on my truss. here is a picture of an example of some of his welding. Amazing!
jkbumper-axles005.jpg  
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #20
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome YJ, although I've always been curious. It seems regardless how much you lift your front shackles are always in the way. What do YJ drivers do about that?

If anyone is in the York area and wants to go wheeling let me know I'm always down!
Fischey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #21
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shackle reversal is working pretty well for me to get the entry angle up higher! first photo shows it before the reversal. 2" lift shackles hit everything. spring eye is 6" higher and the whole spring is just alot more up and out of the way. Second photo shows that. Also moved the axle forward 1.5" which also helps to improve entry angle. Required a custom long travel drive shaft though.
photo0600.jpg   photo0684.jpg  
Unread 11-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #22
mazegang
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I like this build. Those skinny swampers will dig their way to China if you let 'em.....
Cool!!!
Penn State University --- Class of '96
mazegang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 01:26 AM   #23
99NHWrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those rims came out great!
99NHWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #24
jlevin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you trim the factory fenders to look like that?? If so, would you be willing to share how?
jlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #25
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nah it a tube fender kit I found on ebay. 150 bucks. Search "tube fenders" on ebay and thet will come up. good quality on the kit.
Unread 11-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #26
RuffShod
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep!

I was wondering about the shackle angle, too.

Look forward to seeing your fix.
RuffShod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #27
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got some much needed work done tonight, Parking brakes were not working and inspection is gonna be due soon! So new cables and shoes in the rear, Threw the Alloy USA axles and HD diff cover on while I was in there too. Glad to report that My aussie is looking perfect. No wear, chips in the teeth, center pin has no wear. Also ring and pinion are still imaculate. Old axles showed now signs of stress or twisting. Looks I have a decent set of spare axles. One little hicup that I was not able to resolve tonigh because it was too late. The new wheel studs are too long for my 1.25" wheel spacers. They stick past about 2 mm. There is about a 1/4 inch of unthreaded area at the end so I should be able to use a cutoff wheel and trim off about 3mm (just to be sure!)
alloy-axles.jpg  
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #28
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

sell spacers and stock wheels, and get some cragars with the 3.75 bs?
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #29
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Trimmed the end off the wheel studs so the wheel spacers would fit again.
photo0744.jpg   photo0745.jpg  
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #30
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just picked up a set of XJ shafts for my YJ. Does anyone know the part number for the seal I need to buy to replace the one around the disco shaft?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.