My LCOG TJ On Leafs - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My LCOG TJ On Leafs

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #76
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494

Axle wrap will happen no matter what you do especially with the longer leaf springs

Probably sent from under my broken heep
You wont have enough axle wrap with a 4banger and a SUA setup to worry about. I've never had axle wrap on my SUA jeeps, not even my CJ which is stretched 5" in the back and SUA.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #77
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
Axle wrap will happen no matter what you do especially with the longer leaf springs
Well, up to a certain point; the more resilient the spring, the less the axle will be able to rotate...but by the time you get a spring stiff enough to hold the axle completely still you won't want to ride in the vehicle, anymore. I agree, though...long, flexy springs are basically a recipe for wrap. Might not be much, but it'll still be there.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #78
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

Well, up to a certain point; the more resilient the spring, the less the axle will be able to rotate...but by the time you get a spring stiff enough to hold the axle completely still you won't want to ride in the vehicle, anymore. I agree, though...long, flexy springs are basically a recipe for wrap. Might not be much, but it'll still be there.
IMO, there won't be enough with XJ leafs SUA to have to worry about, not with a 4 banger and relatively small tires (35's)...

Unread 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #79
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
IMO, there won't be enough with XJ leafs SUA to have to worry about, not with a 4 banger and relatively small tires (35's)...
It may not ever be an issue but I can see situations where it could happen. Normally, there likely won't be a severe chance of axle wrap....but, given enough gearing, loading and resistance to tire rotation, the chances go up. Quickly.

Unread 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #80
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say spring under

Sent from my black box in my silver pos box
Luke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #81
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got a little bit of noticeable axle wrap when I originally did my swap. If I dropped the clutch to the point of chirping the tires I could feel vibrations from the rear U joint. It didn't help that the leafs I used were worn to the point of sitting nearly flat. Not long after, I added one explorer leaf to each XJ pack in the back.. No more noticeable axle wrap, and it actually droops a bit more now when flexed out. As far as the SUA/SOA debate goes, SOA will likely yield you around 5+ inches of lift with XJ leafs. SUA is likely a better call for a lower set up.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #82
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If youre going through all this fab work anyways, SOA shouldnt be out of the question just because of height. You can locate the spring frame and shackle hangers wherever youd like to get the desired height setup in either SUA or SOA. Im still SUA but from what Ive seen and heard, SOA is always the way to go if you have the skills and can afford to do it correctly so I would go spring over if I were going through the work anyways
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #83
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like I said earlier in the thread you can French your hangers into the frame to drop the height... But no nobody noticed because "I don't wheel my jeep"

1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #84
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post

You wont have enough axle wrap with a 4banger and a SUA setup to worry about. I've never had axle wrap on my SUA jeeps, not even my CJ which is stretched 5" in the back and SUA.

I had axle wrap with my 4 cyl on 33s with 4.88 gears sua. And it hopped like a *****.

1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #85
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... But no nobody noticed because "I don't wheel my jeep"

Nope cause its always in the garage

Just breakin balls ofcourse
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #86
1999GOLDTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
I got a little bit of noticeable axle wrap when I originally did my swap. If I dropped the clutch to the point of chirping the tires I could feel vibrations from the rear U joint. It didn't help that the leafs I used were worn to the point of sitting nearly flat. Not long after, I added one explorer leaf to each XJ pack in the back.. No more noticeable axle wrap, and it actually droops a bit more now when flexed out. As far as the SUA/SOA debate goes, SOA will likely yield you around 5+ inches of lift with XJ leafs. SUA is likely a better call for a lower set up.
Im considering just buying new packs from JC Whitney. Do you think if i do this they will have the stiffness to not wrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
If youre going through all this fab work anyways, SOA shouldnt be out of the question just because of height. You can locate the spring frame and shackle hangers wherever youd like to get the desired height setup in either SUA or SOA. Im still SUA but from what Ive seen and heard, SOA is always the way to go if you have the skills and can afford to do it correctly so I would go spring over if I were going through the work anyways
After doing a little research this will be a SUA build for what i want it will serve its purpose well. It will be a little cheaper to do. If i dont want SOA because of the fact I fell that with 4.88s and 35s and maby 37s on day i dont want to run a traction bar because it will ride like a**, and i dont want 5+ inches of lift, this is a LCOG build.

Quote:
Like I said earlier in the thread you can French your hangers into the frame to drop the height... But no nobody noticed because "I don't wheel my jeep"

I took note of this earlier and if my lift is too much i will be frenching the hangers into the frame.
1999GOLDTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #87
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999GOLDTJ View Post
If i dont want SOA because of the fact I fell that with 4.88s and 35s and maby 37s on day i dont want to run a traction bar because it will ride like a**, and i dont want 5+ inches of lift, this is a LCOG build.
A few points:
- If you set up a traction bar the wrong way, then yes...it will ride badly.
- 4.88's may not be enough if you have a heavy rig.
- If you're thinking of 37's, you need more axle strength, period.
- If you're going for a truly low center of mass, you need as little overall lift as possible; in my opinion, a 3" lift isn't "low" at all. 2" or lower springs, a stretch, plenty of uptravel and 37's would make a good start towards a "low" build. Again, that's my opinion.

Unread 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #88
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
A few points:
- If you're going for a truly low center of mass, you need as little overall lift as possible; in my opinion, a 3" lift isn't "low" at all. 2" or lower springs, a stretch, plenty of uptravel and 37's would make a good start towards a "low" build. Again, that's my opinion.
3" is basically the norm now days for 33's-35's. 2" or lower like this guy said will be considered low. BUT, don't build your TJ to be different or to be a trendy (that sounds gay). Build it so it works. When I had my TJ, at 2" suspension, 1.25 body, and 35's on 15x8 wheels with 3.75" back spacing it felt good, but I still wanted to be a little lower or wider. Same with my XJ now. I need to go wider. And just because, LCOG is the stupidest fawking term ever. Trying to define it is dumb. Just build your TJ so it is stable.

And quit worrying about it so you can wheel it this weekend and figure out what you rreally need to do to it. .!..!.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #89
1999GOLDTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
A few points:
Your entitled to it completely and Im glad to hear from anyone's input we all have something to bring to the table. I just dont want to go down the traction bar road. As badly as ive seen ibejeepin95 thrash on stock XJ axles with 35s i wouldn't worry too much about 37s and a 4cyl on the same axles, I would however upgrade to cromo shafts and run a truss on the HP30. I will not be any higher than 3 inches I feel that it will be low enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
3" is basically the norm now days for 33's-35's. 2" or lower like this guy said will be considered low. BUT, don't build your TJ to be different or to be a trendy (that sounds gay). Build it so it works. When I had my TJ, at 2" suspension, 1.25 body, and 35's on 15x8 wheels with 3.75" back spacing it felt good, but I still wanted to be a little lower or wider. Same with my XJ now. I need to go wider. And just because, LCOG is the stupidest fawking term ever. Trying to define it is dumb. Just build your TJ so it is stable.

And quit worrying about it so you can wheel it this weekend and figure out what you rreally need to do to it. .!..!.
Thats a good start. Big Boys this weekend!
1999GOLDTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #90
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999GOLDTJ

Your entitled to it completely and Im glad to hear from anyone's input we all have something to bring to the table. I just dont want to go down the traction bar road. As badly as ive seen ibejeepin95 thrash on stock XJ axles with 35s i wouldn't worry too much about 37s and a 4cyl on the same axles, I would however upgrade to cromo shafts and run a truss on the HP30. I will not be any higher than 3 inches I feel that it will be low enough.

Thats a good start. Big Boys this weekend!
Please run 37s on the c8.25 and tell me how it goes, if it works out I might try it too!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.