My LCOG TJ On Leafs - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My LCOG TJ On Leafs

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #31
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999GOLDTJ View Post
Its All About the down travel! I may wind up trading my 3inch springs for 4 inch in the front to keep everything level. I have plenty of up travel now. its just gong to be bump stopped well. that will create a pivot point and create a sew saw like motion to allow the opposing side to droop lower
There's no reason to argue physics, here...but: based on those parameters you don't have a build that's focusing on low center-of-mass and you do not/will not have a suspension that's set up to make it work very well. You may also need to do a lot of thinking on how to make your tires hook up and provide traction, seeing as you're focusing on how far the suspension can drop. What are you considering, as far as your sway bars are concerned?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #32
1999GOLDTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
Are you just doing leafs in the back? I thought it was front too. In that case it's not so bad. One thing to think about to help you stay low is you can French the leaf spring hangars into the frame. This gives you the ability to run taller longer springs without raising your rigs height.

Btw I ran 33s with 4.88s behind a 4 cyl and it worked well off highway, but I think 35s and 37s will be stressful to drive unless your mostly offroad then just gear your t case deeper

Probably sent from under my broken heep
Yeah its going to be set up like an XJ For an example. Sorry i didn't clarify that in the beginning. Im really trying to decide on gears still i heard 4.88s and 33s run close to stock performance but i am still not sure what to do with 35s. i know of a few buddies that say it will be fine on the road with 4.88s. im running 4.10s now with my 33s and i daily drive it its not so bad.

This has to be road friendly still. I plan to drive it to the trails and drive it home from the trails.
1999GOLDTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #33
1999GOLDTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
There's no reason to argue physics, here...but: based on those parameters you don't have a build that's focusing on low center-of-mass and you do not/will not have a suspension that's set up to make it work very well. You may also need to do a lot of thinking on how to make your tires hook up and provide traction, seeing as you're focusing on how far the suspension can drop. What are you considering, as far as your sway bars are concerned?
Im going to run the stock one or a stock like on in the rear and I haven't decided yet on the front. Either eliminating it all together or maby a Currie.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #34
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

One more thing if your out boarding and your plan is extreme down travel you may think about looking for longer than 12" travel shocks

This is about 4 inches past my 11" travel shocks

forumrunner_20130221_095908.jpg

Probably sent from under my broken heep
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #35
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999GOLDTJ View Post
Its All About the down travel! I may wind up trading my 3inch springs for 4 inch in the front to keep everything level. I have plenty of up travel now. its just gong to be bump stopped well. that will create a pivot point and create a sew saw like motion to allow the opposing side to droop lower
Eh, not exactly. I prefer balanced up/down travel myself, maybe 45/55 up/down split. I used to subscribe to the droop>all theory but after running that way for a while and running 50/50 now, I much prefer the latter.

You've also got to keep in mine other constraints--bushing deflection, TRE limits, etc. Running long enough shocks to bust past those limits will wear things out very quickly, resulting in a Jeep that drives like *** on the road--something you'd like to avoid.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #36
1999GOLDTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok i will keep that in mind I dont plan to out board in to the inside of my jeep just on the outer portion of the frame so the hoops will not be too tall. But that is just a estimate length i planed on using.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
1999GOLDTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Eh, not exactly. I prefer balanced up/down travel myself, maybe 45/55 up/down split. I used to subscribe to the droop>all theory but after running that way for a while and running 50/50 now, I much prefer the latter.

You've also got to keep in mine other constraints--bushing deflection, TRE limits, etc. Running long enough shocks to bust past those limits will wear things out very quickly, resulting in a Jeep that drives like *** on the road--something you'd like to avoid.
Im looking for a 40/60 split id like there to be a good amount of down though considering im only using 3 inch springs in the front. That will be where the majority of the flex will be coming from. and i may use limiting straps and to limit over extension of the shocks and other parts
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, what a gay build thread with a dumb, misleading title .!..!.

Here are some Crozet pics of this piece. It actually goes other places than the mall...

He actually ended up making it, and these pics are pre-locker.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #39
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
What's the tire pressure in those pictures? They don't look to be wrapping those rocks at all, and those shouldn't be D-range tires...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #40
lineman26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95
Wow, what a gay build thread with a dumb, misleading title .!..!.

Here are some Crozet pics of this piece. It actually goes other places than the mall...

Where in va is that. Looks like Craig county to me
lineman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #41
1999GOLDTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
What's the tire pressure in those pictures? They don't look to be wrapping those rocks at all, and those shouldn't be D-range tires...
I was running 10 psi they are almost brand mew tires.
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
1999GOLDTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman26 View Post
Where in va is that. Looks like Craig county to me
It is close to Charlottesville.
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #43
lineman26

Dang got excited. Nobody ever comes through here. 3rd smallest county in va as far as population
lineman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #44
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999GOLDTJ

It is close to Charlottesville.
Crozet, VA
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #45
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I miss Crozet.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.