Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My Khaki TJ Build (2.5", 32's etc..)

12K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  wranglerTX 
#1 ·
Hey all, I figured I would go ahead and make one of my own build threads with lots of pictures from my build experience. In the next week or so I plan on installing:

-Rough Country 2.5" lift (with 2.2 stabilizer)
-RC 1.25" body lift
-Mickey Thompson Wheels and 32" BFG KM2's
-Sony GTX-HD700 Head unit with integrated HD radio
-Re-finishing my fender flares with "Forever Black"

There are more plans in the future, but this is it for now.

Heres what we are starting with! 2004 X with around 88k. 6 cyl, 5 speed:

Heres what I had waiting for me at home when I came back from finals! :

First up were the headlight bezels. I used 000 and 00 steel wool to scratch the surface, but that didnt seem to scuff it up nearly enough (made it shinier if anything else), so I used 400 grit sandpaper to get a dull finish to apply the primer. After I sanded it down, I took a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol and wiped everything down. I used duplicolor primer and some rusoleum wheel paint. It was a flat black paint that said it could be used to paint wheels or plastic stuff, so I figured it would work well enough for my bezels (which it did).

After sanding:

Forgot to take a picture after they were painted but before I put them in, so here they are about a day after I put them back in. Black bezels are the only way to go on the khaki jeep IMO:

I was originally going to run the 32" 's with no lift for a few days until I could install the lift with my uncle, but after talking to the guys at COSTCO (where I got my tires), we decided it would be better to wait. I could only fit three of the tires in the back of my jeep, so my Dad somehow fit the other two into his car.

Here are the wheels and tires mounted up ready to be put on the jeep! Cant wait to see it up a few inches higher!

I need some opinions on this one. The guys at costco CLEARLY dinged up my BRAND new wheels. Do ya'll think this ding is enough to get worked up about? Its an aluminum wheel so luckily I dont have to worry about it rusting, but it still kind of pisses me off:

We are starting the big part of the project this friday, so hopefully I'll have a bunch of pictures up showing the details of the install. I know I search around the forum a lot just for pictures, so I figured I'd pay my respects to the forum and post some of my own. (After all, I got a shiny new digital camera for christmas that I have to use somehow!?) Feel free to express your likes/dislikes and comments on my build. I can officially say IM HOOKED! Cant stop searching the internet for new upgrades and what not!

See less See more
#35 ·
Finally found some time to get out to the trails and try out the winch. So far I am not 100% satisfied with the winch for several reasons. First, the clutch lever (engage/free spool) is stuck in the engage position. Luckily I didnt have to make a very long pull when I did have to use it, so I just winched out out to the tree, but I have heard its not good for the winch if you dont free-spool it out to a tree, especially if its far away. I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do ti fix this problem...

The second problem (and a much larger issue) is the winch remote. Once I decided I was 100% stuck and setup everything to make a pull, I pressed the button to pull me out, and NOTHING. Unplugged it and put it back in a few times with no luck... Then out of the middle of nowhere, the cord just slipped right out of the connecter, leaving me with three open ended wires and the connector still in the solenoid box. I ended up having to take apart the connector piece, and just guessing which wires attached to which points (there were 4 connection points and only three wires). I ended up getting it to work just enough to pull me out, and then took it home to make a permanent fix later on...

Here are some pictures from the day.

The Aftermath! There was not a chance I was going to make it though that spot without a winch. I'm still learning my limits haha :cheers2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.