My Khaki TJ Build (2.5", 32's etc..) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Khaki TJ Build (2.5", 32's etc..)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
warriorti22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Khaki TJ Build (2.5", 32's etc..)

Hey all, I figured I would go ahead and make one of my own build threads with lots of pictures from my build experience. In the next week or so I plan on installing:

-Rough Country 2.5" lift (with 2.2 stabilizer)
-RC 1.25" body lift
-Mickey Thompson Wheels and 32" BFG KM2's
-Sony GTX-HD700 Head unit with integrated HD radio
-Re-finishing my fender flares with "Forever Black"

There are more plans in the future, but this is it for now.

Heres what we are starting with! 2004 X with around 88k. 6 cyl, 5 speed:

Heres what I had waiting for me at home when I came back from finals! :

First up were the headlight bezels. I used 000 and 00 steel wool to scratch the surface, but that didnt seem to scuff it up nearly enough (made it shinier if anything else), so I used 400 grit sandpaper to get a dull finish to apply the primer. After I sanded it down, I took a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol and wiped everything down. I used duplicolor primer and some rusoleum wheel paint. It was a flat black paint that said it could be used to paint wheels or plastic stuff, so I figured it would work well enough for my bezels (which it did).

After sanding:

Forgot to take a picture after they were painted but before I put them in, so here they are about a day after I put them back in. Black bezels are the only way to go on the khaki jeep IMO:

I was originally going to run the 32" 's with no lift for a few days until I could install the lift with my uncle, but after talking to the guys at COSTCO (where I got my tires), we decided it would be better to wait. I could only fit three of the tires in the back of my jeep, so my Dad somehow fit the other two into his car.

Here are the wheels and tires mounted up ready to be put on the jeep! Cant wait to see it up a few inches higher!

I need some opinions on this one. The guys at costco CLEARLY dinged up my BRAND new wheels. Do ya'll think this ding is enough to get worked up about? Its an aluminum wheel so luckily I dont have to worry about it rusting, but it still kind of pisses me off:

We are starting the big part of the project this friday, so hopefully I'll have a bunch of pictures up showing the details of the install. I know I search around the forum a lot just for pictures, so I figured I'd pay my respects to the forum and post some of my own. (After all, I got a shiny new digital camera for christmas that I have to use somehow!?) Feel free to express your likes/dislikes and comments on my build. I can officially say IM HOOKED! Cant stop searching the internet for new upgrades and what not!

warriorti22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would bring it up because that's a bit of bull **** if you ask me...I work at an auto shop and extra care should be taken with brand new aftermarket wheels, especially painted aluminum wheels!

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
warriorti22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thats what I was thinking, but what do i do, go in and say "gimme $100 because you guys dicked up my brand new wheel"? It was clearly their fault because when I took the wheels to them 4/5 of them were still taped in their boxes.
Unread 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would say that you want them to replace the wheel and remount the tire on a new wheel! talk to the manager, and not the little peon *****es! Just keep complaining until they give you something...it almost always works! and when that doesn't work call the Costco main customer support line and ***** to the highest person you can get on the phone and they'll give you something for sure!

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just my opinion...But looks like a pretty small scratch. You do have every right to be upset, but if they scratch that easy they will probably get scratched up on the trail anyhow. Just my two cents...take it or leave it. Jeep looks sharp by the way!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
warriorti22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Just my opinion...But looks like a pretty small scratch. You do have every right to be upset, but if they scratch that easy they will probably get scratched up on the trail anyhow. Just my two cents...take it or leave it. Jeep looks sharp by the way!

Thats what I was thinking... I'm going to touch it up with some black paint or something. I was just upset because I am a college student who is paying for all of this, and when I give someone a BRAND new, $115 wheel, and they give it back with a fresh ding in it, it kind of grinds my gears, you know??
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

haha you said "grinds my gears", sorry all I can think about when I see or hear that is Family Guy!

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Unread 03-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
WtrHamer97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good, really going to look good when you get the lift on and install those tires
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know what you man forsure man I'm a student too...I don't appreciate it when people damage things i worked hard for either. Jeep looks good with the wheels in front of it but get that lift on there!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I actually put 355/75-17's on my stock jeep, which are 32.2"s, before I had the lift and they didn't rub at all and as long as I didn't hit any big bumps I didn't have any problems...plus it looked kinda badass and was begging for a lift haha

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Unread 03-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
warriorti22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so we got both my jeep and my cousins done this weekend! Installed the RC 2.5" lift on both of them. They both went on really easily other than one broken bold on each of the jeeps. We both broke one of the upper rear shock mount bolts on BOTH of the jeeps. Ended up drilling a new hole and tapping it. The spring compressor definitely helped out... I didnt have any jeep wobble, so I opted out of the transfer case drop , especially since I am planning on doing a body lift and a motor mount lift this summer. The KM2's are AWESOME! The road noise is very minimal. I can tell they are on there, but the noise isn't anything overly obnoxious.

I am a bit worried about my wheels during the winter months. I live in OH and there is always a ton of salt on the roads, and I'm afraid they will eat away at the paint on the wheels. Anybody have input on this? Thanks.

Cant wait for summer so I can take the doors off and put the top down! And go do some wheeling at my friends farm

We also treated both of our fender flares with "Forever Black" dye. Seemed to work really well, but we will see how it holds up after some time..

Before Forever Black:

After 1 coat (I ended up doing three, my cousin did 5 because his were worse):

After 3 coats:

Heres my cousins before and after:

Heres my headunit I installed a few weekends ago:

Front shock and spring removed:

New ones installed:

Front end done:

Forgot to take pics of the rear end so here it is all finished:

I went saw a website where a guy bought a few used spare tire bumpers and used them to extend the current ones, so thats essentially what I did for the spare tire, although I had to use 1.5 bumpers on each one of the side ones because my wheels have 3 5/16 back spacing.

Heres the steering stabilizer installed:

Unread 03-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

I love the direction you are going with, with your Jeep. It reminds me of mine Except, I dont have the RC kit yet, I'm going to order it this weekend, finally LOL. Great job though, awesome wheels! I'm not too sure what you can do about them for the winter, but if anything, ask to get them static balanced, or use sticky weights when you get them balanced, that way you minimize corrosion on the lip with lead weights attached.

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

http://ddoffroad.com
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
warriorti22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtank99 View Post
I love the direction you are going with, with your Jeep. It reminds me of mine Except, I dont have the RC kit yet, I'm going to order it this weekend, finally LOL. Great job though, awesome wheels! I'm not too sure what you can do about them for the winter, but if anything, ask to get them static balanced, or use sticky weights when you get them balanced, that way you minimize corrosion on the lip with lead weights attached.
Got the stickey weights already . One wheel took like 100 grams! I decided to put that one on the spare... Thanks for the tip and compliments!
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
WtrHamer97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really good with the lift installed, getting any vibes?
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorti22 View Post
Got the stickey weights already . One wheel took like 100 grams! I decided to put that one on the spare... Thanks for the tip and compliments!
Good call! No problem, I'm crawling this thread to see your updates.

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

http://ddoffroad.com
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.