My Jeep Wrangler truck build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Jeep Wrangler truck build

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 08-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #106
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got a piece of 1/2 x 3/4 inch aluminum to use as a lower sill for the tailgate seal to seal against. I'll attach it with counter sunk screws and panel adhesive. For some reason I can't attach any pictures.

jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #107
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got the tailgate cables installed. They are dorman 38543. They are for some make of honda. The jeep cables were too long. I used 3/8 inch plate welded to the inside of the corners to support the cables. They were painted with weld thru primer before I welded them in.
image-1668276250.jpg

image-4038548160.jpg

image-3248578366.jpg

image-565036451.jpg

image-2226217579.jpg

image-3754614788.jpg

image-2349274227.jpg

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #108
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great work- this is one of my favorite builds

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #109
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I still need to grind down the welds.
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #110
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just when I think I have made something cool you or Hendrix post up ... nice work .
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #111
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Just when I think I have made something cool you or Hendrix post up ... nice work .
This guy is making a way nicer bed, really close to my original idea.

Keep at it man. Any plans to just buy another TJ or tub to make the cab out of?

How about the cab close out ? AEV or are you going to tackle the custom one like I did?
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #112
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
This guy is making a way nicer bed, really close to my original idea.

Keep at it man. Any plans to just buy another TJ or tub to make the cab out of?

How about the cab close out ? AEV or are you going to tackle the custom one like I did?
I've been looking for a wrecked TJ, but I may have to buy a good one to cut up. I have been looking for a 2000 TJ, because I am going to do a 5.9 magnum engine swap.

The 2000 TJ was the last year for the CCD data bus, and it had a NV3550 transmission. Having a CCD data bus is easier to do manual trans, magnum V8 swap. In 2001 Chysler went to a PCI data bus in the Jeep Wrangler, but Chrysler never made a manual transmission PCI data bus engine computer.

Just in case some of you may not know...the data bus is the wire or wires the engine control computer (ECM) uses to "talk to your dash" and makes your gauges work, sets the check engine light, and I think has something to do with the air bags(ccd uses 2 wires and pci uses 1 wire). I've heard that BG Chrysler and Hemifever can reprogram the PCI ECM to turn off the automatic trans controls, so a manual trans can be used. If this is true I can use up to a 2004 Wrangler (Daveys Jeeps has a 2004 Rubicon I have thought about looking at). After 2004 Chrysler stopped using the JTEC engine computer. I can't remember what kind of computer Chrysler used in 2005 and 2006, but those are the years you would want to do a Hemi swap in. A Hemi swap would be cool, but I already have a 5.9.

As for the cab close out I am leaning towards using AEV's cab close out. It looks like a great product, and would save time to install (with my schedule, time is one thing I lack in).

Thanks for the complements. I hope it turns out OK. I am hoping designing a bed without a Jeep to set it on doesn't bite me in the butt later. I've been looking at my 2003 Wrangler X and taking measurements, but I really won't know until I cut a wrangler and see how the bed fits. If it doesn't work, I'll be buying a Brute kit (another reason the use the AEV cab close out), and my bed will be a Jeep Trailer, or end up for sale.
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #113
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin86

I've been looking for a wrecked TJ, but I may have to buy a good one to cut up. I have been looking for a 2000 TJ, because I am going to do a 5.9 magnum engine swap.

The 2000 TJ was the last year for the CCD data bus, and it had a NV3550 transmission. Having a CCD data bus is easier to do manual trans, magnum V8 swap. In 2001 Chysler went to a PCI data bus in the Jeep Wrangler, but Chrysler never made a manual transmission PCI data bus engine computer.

Just in case some of you may not know...the data bus is the wire or wires the engine control computer (ECM) uses to "talk to your dash" and makes your gauges work, sets the check engine light, and I think has something to do with the air bags(ccd uses 2 wires and pci uses 1 wire). I've heard that BG Chrysler and Hemifever can reprogram the PCI ECM to turn off the automatic trans controls, so a manual trans can be used. If this is true I can use up to a 2004 Wrangler (Daveys Jeeps has a 2004 Rubicon I have thought about looking at). After 2004 Chrysler stopped using the JTEC engine computer. I can't remember what kind of computer Chrysler used in 2005 and 2006, but those are the years you would want to do a Hemi swap in. A Hemi swap would be cool, but I already have a 5.9.

As for the cab close out I am leaning towards using AEV's cab close out. It looks like a great product, and would save time to install (with my schedule, time is one thing I lack in).

Thanks for the complements. I hope it turns out OK. I am hoping designing a bed without a Jeep to set it on doesn't bite me in the butt later. I've been looking at my 2003 Wrangler X and taking measurements, but I really won't know until I cut a wrangler and see how the bed fits. If it doesn't work, I'll be buying a Brute kit (another reason the use the AEV cab close out), and my bed will be a Jeep Trailer, or end up for sale.
One thing I learned along the way, it should be easy if you cut the frame at the center of the axle location and build straight out from there, then drop back down at the rear for the bumper. Makes mounting the bed simple.

Keep it going.
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #114
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a shot of the lower sill installed. This is what the lower tailgate will seal against.

image-1061173515.jpg

image-3846768077.jpg

The corners are really stiff. I can push down on the tailgate and lift the front of the bed up without the rear corners flexing at all.
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #115
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great build.
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #116
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the bed fab work is done. I need to weld in one more support in the front wall of the bed, cut a hole for the gas filler, and figure out what I am going to use for a floor ( diamond aluminum plate, or cut a floor out of a van or truck bed). I won't install the floor until the bed mounts are done.

I guess I can start skim coating the bed with body filler to make sure it's straight. I need to have a garage door installed in my basement so I can get the bed outside to sand. When I had my house built I had the builder put a header and plug in my basement wall. This way all I need to do is remove the plug and install a door.
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #117
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse
Great build.
Thank you!
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #118
ZSXJ430

Looking great man! I think it is going to be sexy when done. Maybe you can lend a hand with my build? I am having diff issues.
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #119
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am looking a different salvage Jeeps for my build. Does anyone have any experience with salvage title vehicles? I live in Ga. I know it will need to be inspected by a certified inspection station after repairs and before paint. I may need to have a rebuilders license, I'm not sure. I dont know if I will have any problems with the inspection because it will now be a wrangler truck not just a plain wrangler. If I decide to sell, will interested buyers be able to get financing with a salvage title? Would I be better off buying a non salvage Jeep?
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #120
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Salvage laws vary by state. Most companies will not finance a salvage title. Some insurance companies will only let you run liability. As far as rebuilding that also varies by state. Rebuilds are good if YOU are the only one involved, and you do not plan on reselling. Some inspectors may not like the idea you altered the vehicle before they signed off. Another words making it a truck then getting it inspected might cause problems.

In this case a clean title Jeep might be better.

Jankoid may know a little more first hand on this subject.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.