My Jeep Progress Page - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Jeep Progress Page

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #91
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also went to home depot and picked up some metal in order to fab a solenoid box for the winch, it was my second attempt at welding and I think it came out pretty good!

I cleaned up the base and I welded some nuts to the casing cause once I put the cover over it now way to hold the nuts on the inside. More welding practice

The actual solenoids are mounted inside now with the bolts holding everything in place as planned.

Took the winch apart to do a little cleaning and degreasing and then shot some paint over it. While cleaning the shed I found an entire can of Duplicolor of this Silver/Dark Bronze that had fallen behind the table

I covered the stickers while painting, I did however fire an email of to Ramsey to see if they can spare a couple of stickers to slap on this again.

Checked the winch again to ensure everything was working and all is well, except the free spool I cant seem to rotate the drum by hand? I am able to move the lever to the OUT position but can't to rotate it. But while running it off the battery it can turn in either direction.. perhaps I need to get the winch line on there in order to have something to actually pull on.

And to top it off the POS send me 4" speakers instead of 5.25" like I had ordered.. now I gotta wait some more and find another source for 5.25" speakers. Also go through paypal to get my money back..

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #92
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I contacted Ramsey and I guess they will send me some stickers free of charge should really add to the touch of the winch

I guess I am going to have to take the winch apart and see why the freespool does not work, as much as I really do not want to do this. I think I should.

In the mean time I started creating the wiring kit for my in-cab controls. Was fairly straight forward, I think I am going to make a plate like 12volt guy has and mount it right behind where the ignition key goes. I have no room for switches anymore down below and didn't want to order another switch bezel. If the ashtray was only bigger I think it could be mounted inside the ashtray for a stealth look.

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #93
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Kinda similar to mine. The color on that winch looks great. I would try to find a writeup on taking your winch apart (on the internet somewhere), and see how your clutch mechanism works. I know the one in the Warns is really simple, and it might be a simple problem or you might need to replace the handle.

I'm also looking into upgrading my speakers... what did those adapter plates cost? For a headunit, I like my stock RBK. I don't have to worry about it being stolen or anything like I would with an aftermarket headunit. I have heard that the reliability of the RB1s isn't the greatest, too.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #94
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
Looks good! Kinda similar to mine. The color on that winch looks great. I would try to find a writeup on taking your winch apart (on the internet somewhere), and see how your clutch mechanism works. I know the one in the Warns is really simple, and it might be a simple problem or you might need to replace the handle.

I'm also looking into upgrading my speakers... what did those adapter plates cost? For a headunit, I like my stock RBK. I don't have to worry about it being stolen or anything like I would with an aftermarket headunit. I have heard that the reliability of the RB1s isn't the greatest, too.
Yah I already found a exploded view of it and give it a go tonight. Will be real messy by the looks of it lol.

Yah I wanted a RB1 but not anymore after reading some reviews due to its reliability and I guess it tends to break. Next summer I think I'll just get a new head unit.

The adapter plates are $14.99 from http://www.nalinmfg.com/index.html
Still haven't received mine so I can't say how they look.. but I am also waiting on other speakers as I ran into a issue with those also.
My Progress Page
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #95
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Yah I already found a exploded view of it and give it a go tonight. Will be real messy by the looks of it lol.

Yah I wanted a RB1 but not anymore after reading some reviews due to its reliability and I guess it tends to break. Next summer I think I'll just get a new head unit.

The adapter plates are $14.99 from http://www.nalinmfg.com/index.html
Still haven't received mine so I can't say how they look.. but I am also waiting on other speakers as I ran into a issue with those also.
Regarding the speaker plates, I found them on his website. Under it was this:

IMPORTANT: I will be fulfilling a mandatory Army National Guard training event (LDAC),and will not have access to computer or phone from July 7 - August 8, 2011. You are welcome to purchase this item, however, note that it WILL NOT SHIP if ordered between JUL 7 - AUG 8, 2011. I will try to get them all shipped the day I return, Thank you for your support! (This does not apply UNTIL JULY 7, 2011).

Just wanted to let you know... (I ordered some myself)
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #96
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Regarding the speaker plates, I found them on his website. Under it was this:

IMPORTANT: I will be fulfilling a mandatory Army National Guard training event (LDAC),and will not have access to computer or phone from July 7 - August 8, 2011. You are welcome to purchase this item, however, note that it WILL NOT SHIP if ordered between JUL 7 - AUG 8, 2011. I will try to get them all shipped the day I return, Thank you for your support! (This does not apply UNTIL JULY 7, 2011).

Just wanted to let you know... (I ordered some myself)
Ah damn! Look at that, yah I ordered mine back on June 22nd.. but that explains why he didn't answer his email.
My Progress Page
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #97
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spending a lot of time on this entire winch ordeal.. I took the gearing housing apart today to see why the free spool doesn't work and inspected it all cleaned it a bit (very messy job, dont do it if you dont have to) only to find out at the end it still doesnt work..
Not too sure what's going on here, almost thinking when I mount this on the TJ to just put it in freespool and reverse with the jeep while anchored to something?

I kept working on the incab mount and designed something very similar as 12voltguy has for sale. Plan on adding a couple of lables for "in/out" and "arm".

I believe the mounting will be right behind the ignition switch.. no other place to really mount this and the ashtray I don't want to get another switch bezel. Unless someone wants to donate one

Here is some pictures of the winch housing/gears.. what a mess!

My Progress Page
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #98
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am still straightening out the issue with the Polk speakers that buddy send me in 4" instead of the 5.25" like he adverstised.. So I ended up ordering another set from a member on these forums Another wait game begins.

Looks like the speaker brackets got lost in transition.. going to have to wait until buddy returns before I can work that out with him also and get him to send me another set.. This speaker ordeal is dragging on now for a month.

Still working on the winch side of this, this weekend I am picking up a winch plate, fairlead and hook. Also I am getting 2gauge wire cut so I can wire up the entire thing.

Last night I started taking the winch apart and discovered more joys in the drum part where the brake is. Hopefully put it all back together again tonight. I am not doing a thorough cleaning of the winch just now. I think come winter time when I put the jeep away I am going to take the winch off and make that a winter project.

What left over with a washer... not good lol. I know where it's supposed to go so that's on the list tonight.

Anyone know a good switched source to use to run power to the "arm" switch??
My Progress Page
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #99
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Anyone know a good switched source to use to run power to the "arm" switch??
I don't know if your TJ is wired the same, but one of the 12v cigar(ette) lighters in mine was switched, while the other was not. Just grab a test light and check. Be careful not to short out the socket... you will blow a fuse. (Ask me how I know . I blew three that day I think)
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]

Unread 07-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #100
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if this will help at all but page 4 of my build thread shows how I wired my XRC8 (smittybuilt) winch. Also, the labels for the in cab controls might be something you are looking for. clear background stickers for a keyboard work great.
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #101
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know if your TJ is wired the same, but one of the 12v cigar(ette) lighters in mine was switched, while the other was not. Just grab a test light and check. Be careful not to short out the socket... you will blow a fuse. (Ask me how I know . I blew three that day I think)
Oh you have cigarette plugs in your TJ? I only have one and its under the switch panel. I think easiest test for me is to plug my GPS in and turn the jeeps off and see if the GPS throws the screen saying "Shutting down in 30seconds because loss of power" or I can choose to leave it on. This will tell me if my thing is switched. Because I tested it and it appeared to be switched but if I remember correctly last time I had my GPS plugged in it just stayed on normally after I turned the jeep off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94yjstocklook View Post
Not sure if this will help at all but page 4 of my build thread shows how I wired my XRC8 (smittybuilt) winch. Also, the labels for the in cab controls might be something you are looking for. clear background stickers for a keyboard work great.
Yah I already have some labels made up at work. Here is the final picture of the controller.

My Progress Page
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #102
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I've been working on my winch to get it back up and running and finally I was able to put it back together. I believe come winter time I am going to give that thing a thorough rebuild.

In the mean time I picked up some stuff to finally complete the winch install. Any idea what sized bolts are used to mount the fairlead? Looked like 3/8s to me? Assuming also to use a washer and lock washer?

Just last week, received my speaker adapters from NalinMFG! Solid quality and everything is in there I'll need.

Over the weekend I picked up a winch plate and fairlead (brand new) from a guy from the local jeep club. 2GA welding cable, some connector lugs for the cable and a actual hook to put on the winch line. Bolts/nuts/washers etc..

The winch plate needed a sanding and painting so here are some before and after shots.

[

This rocker guard stuff they have at Crappy Tire really does a good job for painting, the stuff is somewhat pricey cause its meant as a undercoat/rocker guard but I picked up a few cans on sale for $4.90 and it's really working well on parts. It's chip resistant.

[

Fairlead and hook

2GA welding wire for the winch.

My Progress Page
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #103
98TJ162
1998 TJ Wrangler 

winch progress is looking real good hope you can figure out the free spool and that winch plate really came out nice. I've been thinking of doing an in cab wiring for my ramsey so ill be sure to be watching your installation haha
[/FONT]
°[FONT="Arial"]IIIIIII[/FONT]°
98TJ162 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #104
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJ162 View Post
winch progress is looking real good hope you can figure out the free spool and that winch plate really came out nice. I've been thinking of doing an in cab wiring for my ramsey so ill be sure to be watching your installation haha
Thanks man, luckily I was able to put the winch back together but still not sure if the freespool works

Tonight I tried mounting the winch with the plate/fairlead to the bumper and the front 2 winch bolts were hitting the bumper.. Not too sure might have to cut a bit into the bumper in order to let these bolts clear..

But in the next couple of days I should be starting the wiring for the solenoids, now that I got all the heavier gauge wire. If you need any help I'd be more than happy to give you more detailed directions if your curious.
My Progress Page
Unread 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #105
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well got some progress done in the last couple of days. I managed to mount the winch not he bumper finally. And will have pics to follow. I do need to put on a lock washer because the bolts came off loose from the vibrations while driving.

I also finally received the proper speakers and I installed them.
The sound improvement was definitely worth the money and it was a fairly straight forward upgrade.

I actually did up a Speaker Upgrade Tutorial with step by step progress. Let me know what you think!

Next on my list is the solenoid install and run wiring for the winch. I am trying to find some caps to put over the connectors on the winch end for the wires that connect to the motor. Any ideas where to get these or what their called? Also I have found a new spot where to put the winch controls, I plan on putting them where the 12V plug in is and move that down onto the centre console right in front of where the 4WD shifter is.
My Progress Page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.