My Jeep Progress Page - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Jeep Progress Page

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #76
blah402
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Those pictures you first posted looked like some fun spots. I gotta get a winch too lol

White Jeep member #104

Steve Zissou, "This is an adventure"
blah402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #77
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah402 View Post
Those pictures you first posted looked like some fun spots. I gotta get a winch too lol
Yah that was a solid spot, I had a buddy that would go out too with his jeep but he got rid of it since. And he would actually have another passenger that would take pictures, now I got no one and I am to lazy to get out and take pictures once I'm in a trail lol!

But here is some shots from my freshly painted flares from yesterday. Of course the prep work was the hardest, but I just stuck the cue cards in between the flares and most of them had a gap except the front where I had to use some type to cover it up with. Hopefully it lasts for a while

OLD

NEW

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #78
blah402
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My flares are looking pretty shot as well. I have been putting off painting them. Not sure if I'm going to get metalcloaks or what. My Jeeps white too. I have been thinking of painting mine tho. I will have a build thread soon. Just ordered a lift.
White Jeep member #104

Steve Zissou, "This is an adventure"
blah402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #79
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah402 View Post
My flares are looking pretty shot as well. I have been putting off painting them. Not sure if I'm going to get metalcloaks or what. My Jeeps white too. I have been thinking of painting mine tho. I will have a build thread soon. Just ordered a lift.
Yah these flares make a difference when painted. Especially on white or other colors where you can see a large contrast between the black flare and the body color.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #80
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I started tonight with the shocks/springs and coil spacers. Reading the tutorials and checking 4x4xplor and how I was hoping that I would at least be able to finish the front end.. after 4hours I barely finished the passenger front ONLY..

The bolts came off pretty easy.. I had a hard time with the bump stop retainer bolt.. Also had a harder time sliding the coils in.

But now I'm stuck with the top shock bolt and I cannot tighten it, is there any tricks to tightening these? I managed to get my old shocks off by gripping it with a vice grips but these rubicon shocks I just can't grip the pin below the mount and I can't get the nut deep enough to grip the pin from the top.

Old stuff out

New coil clamped

Retainer cup bolt was a PITA

Somewhat complete minus the top shock bolt being on tight enough

Yah bump stop is below I didn't put it on to easier slide the coils in. Figured i'll slap it on at the very end.
My Progress Page
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #81
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I was finally able to finish the job.. 95%.

Managed to get the top shock mount nut tightened down easily I jam in a set of smaller vice grips and it went on easy. For the other shock I didn't even need to hold it really the nut went in deep enough without me having to hold it and once I saw the top of it I was able to use vice grips to give it at the top where it was squared of.

I got the front done pretty easy and overall for a first timer, taking away breaks and just greasing up certain components I would say the entire job for the front probably took about 4-5hours.

Here is a couple of shots for the front all done.

These rubber bump stops were a PITA to put back on after I had the coils, because I read its easier to slide the coils in with them removed then just slap the rubber back on.. well that turned out to be frustrating even tho they were greased..

I hope these are in far enough??

Here it is sitting with just the front done, at first it looked crooked and I got worried but the driveway is a bit slanted too so it made it deceiving.

My Progress Page
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #82
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Then came the rears, I knew I going to get myself in trouble with the upper shock bolts.. and well that's why the job is 95% done. I swapped the spacers and coils in the rear but couldn't remove the rear shocks.

I was hoping that the local 4x4 shop would help me out but seems like their quite busy and are not too willing to help that easy even tho it's a 30-40minute job for them with a hoist and what not to get those nuts/bolts off.. I believe because they know how easy of a job it is for them so they don't want to bother with it..

Got the lower bolts out no problem.

Now when I was installing the rear coil spacers there is no bump stop extension like the front that you slide the coil spacer over. So my question is did I install these the right way??

One side all done

Shot of the rear wheel well

Just a side shot

Again the jeep is all crooked due to the driveway and I took these pictures fairly quickly due to time constraints.. Certainly hope to get MUCH better pictures soon.

Here is the old suspension it had 209k km's on it
My Progress Page
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #83
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Of course the genius I am I did not take before and after measurements..

But I can clearly see a difference between the two. The spacers were 1-1/4" and well the Rubicon Springs were 129 fronts and 106 rears. These components only also had about 5k-10k km's on them. So I should of seen maybe close to 1" with just the springs I am going to go with a 2" gain perhaps overall?

I really wish that I could get these rear shocks installed for me as I really don't think its worth the hassle and headaches for me to do it. I have noticed a ride comfort difference between this and my old stuff. The front surely seems to take a hit a lot better and smoother and actually absorbs it, compared as before it would just bounce back. Now I still can't get a real good feel for it due to the rear being old shocks but hopefully within the next couple of days I can get them swapped.

Here is a side by side comparison between before and after.

My Progress Page
Unread 06-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #84
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I decided to give the rear shocks a try before I try and take it to the shop and amazingly I was able to remove 3 out of 4 bolts flawlessly. My 4th bolt the head broke off and caused me grief for a few days and I finally just took it to the shop for them to remove it for me so that I can finish the installation of the last shock. I drove around on 1 rear shock for 3 days or so and it wasn't very fun.

As you can see the rear shocks were in near perfect shape after I removed them. Anyone want to bu them?

There is half the bolt stuck up in there, what a pain this was trying to remove and never managed to luckily a local shop removed it for me free for charge so I went and got them some donuts!

Final shock in ---

And here is what gave me grief for 3 evenings.

Finally jeeps back on all 4 shocks and coils and it rides pretty smooth. The coils are a bit stiffer but sure improved the ride quality.

Off to the next project I am contemplating getting a new deck for the jeep and keep leaning towards a RB1 unit. Any recommendations or not?
My Progress Page
Unread 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #85
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to last night to drill out the stupid little things that hold the softop down. They kept spinning inside and I could not get the bolts to tighten very good. So I picked up these clevis pin like things for $2 at local car shop.

They were shiny goldish looking so I had to shot some black paint over them. Sorry for the blurry pic!

Was quite a pain to remove those little nuts inside the knuckles.

Finished product

My Progress Page
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #86
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I've been meaning to upgrade my front speakers for a while now. The 4x6's I got now just suck real bad and there is distortion with the slightest loudness so I have to usually fade my tunes to the sound bar rears.

Just ordered a set of these NalinMFG speaker adapters

And also the Polk Audio DB521 5.25" Speakers to put in.

Will post pictures/notes once I receive the components quite curious how the NalinMFG plates are.
My Progress Page
Unread 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #87
98TJ162
1998 TJ Wrangler 

jeep looks like its coming along really nicely reminds me of my old SE i might have to try that clevis pin idea for the soft top though looks pretty sweet
[/FONT]
[FONT="Arial"]IIIIIII[/FONT]
98TJ162 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #88
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJ162 View Post
jeep looks like its coming along really nicely reminds me of my old SE i might have to try that clevis pin idea for the soft top though looks pretty sweet
Thanks!

Its a bit different than some of the other builds on here, just love the look of a stock tj that is rigged up with all the necessary stuff in order to climb a mountain.

What I'm looking for next is a winch to mount on that bumper also hopefully next year upgrade to 31's.
My Progress Page
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #89
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So having a issue with my rear making a loud banging sound when I hit a bump. Has me looking all around for a solution, it's not the upper shock pins they are fine, swaybar bushings are fine, trackbar is in solid also. Tonight I am going to go under there and make sure everything is torqued right. By trying to find torque specs I came across this site. Fantastic Information! http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/torque/

Quote:
Suspension
Front Suspension

-- Upper control arms frame 55 flbs
-- Upper Control arm axle 55 flbs
-- Lower control arm frame 130 flbs
-- Lower Control arm axle 85 flbs

-- Track bar axle side 55 flbs
-- Track bar frame ball stud nut 65 flbs
-- Tie rod ends to hubs 55 flbs
-- Tie rod clamps 20 flbs
-- Tie rod ball stud 65 flbs

-- Draglink ball studs 55 flbs
-- Draglink clamp 20 flbs
-- Sway bar upper 45 flbs
-- Sway bar lower 70 flbs
-- Retaining bolts to frame 40 flbs

-- Upper shock mounts 17 flbs
-- Lower shock mounts 21 flbs

-- Steering Stabilizer draglink 55 flbs
-- Steering Stabilizer frame 55 flbs
Rear Suspension

-- Upper control arms frame 55 flbs 15mm
-- Upper control arms Axle 55 flbs 15mm
-- Lower control arms frame 130 flbs
-- Lower control arms Axle 130 flbs

-- Track bar axle side 74 flbs
-- Track bar frame side 74 flbs

-- Sway bar upper 40 flbs
-- Sway bar lower 40 flbs
-- Upper shock mounts 23 flbs
-- Lower shock mounts 74 flbs

Drive Train
Front Drive Train

-- Diff cover bolts 30 flbs
-- Diff fill plug 25 flbs 3/8 extension

-- Driveshaft to axle 14 flbs
-- Driveshaft to Transfercase 20 flbs -- Sparkplug rail 27 flbs
-- Oil Pan Drain Plug 25 flbs 5/8
Rear Drive Train

-- Diff cover bolts 30 flbs
-- Diff fill plug 25 flbs 3/8 extension

-- Driveshaft to diff 14 flbs
Mid
-- Transfercase skid bolts 55 lbs 19mm
-- Transfercase drain plug 15-20 flbs 3/8 hex
-- Transfercase fill plug 15-20 flbs 3/8 hex
-- Transfercase Front output 150 flbs 1 1/8 socket
-- Transfercase Rear output 150 flbs 1 1/8 socket

-- Transmission drain plug 14-20 flbs 17mm hex
-- Transmission fill plug 14-20 flbs 17mm hex

-- Speedo speed sensor 20 inch pounds

Body/Other Brakes
-- Front Bumper to frame 77 flbs
-- Rear Bumper to frame 50 flbs

-- Body Mounts "lift"
-- Radiator to frame 35 flbs
-- Main floor to frame 50 flbs
-- Rear floor to frame 35 flbs
-- Lugnuts 85-115 flbs
-- Gas tank straps 3 flbs
-- Gas skid to frame 11.5 flbs
-- Brake caliper mounting bolts 11 flbs 13mm
My Progress Page
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #90
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Still have not received the speakers and the adapters, hopefully next week.

In the mean time I did pick up a used Ramsey REP8000 winch just the other day. Got it for a good price but the winch was in somewhat rough shape, I did try the winch and everything works. It is missing the remote for it but I planned on running in-cab controls anyways. Also my plan is to clean this winch up, I already started cleaning/sanding the solenoids and connections down.

Also the wires are in somewhat rough shape that go to the battery so I am going to go around town tomorrow and see what I can find in order to fix this up.

Here are some shots of the way it looked when I picked it up from the guy and put it in the back of the jeep.

Here are some screens from my testing last night to ensure it all worked lol.

Close up of the solenoid pack beforehand;

After I did some sanding/painting. Didn't paint the legs due to grounding and wires making contact on certain bases.

The top cover of the solenoid pack was gone too I cleaned up the metal base and perhaps find some sort of plastic enclosure to mount it on.
My Progress Page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.