My Jeep Progress Page - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Jeep Progress Page

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #136
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well the jeeps giving me a hard time this year.. it's parked again for a while until I get some time to resolve the issue.

I kept hearing a strange sound from my rear left area sounds like a howling sound of sorts. It wasn't depended on wether the clutch is in or out or if I'm in gear. As long as the jeep was moving at a decent pace I would hear this sound. Made me think its my bearing so I decided to remove my rear wheel and drum to inspect.

Once I removed the drum I found my adjusting cable had snapped off and was just dangling inside the drum... I've since picked up a new cable that I have to install but I don't think this is the sound I was hearing.

I am leaning towards my wheel bearing being bad. Anyone have any pointers in replacing these? Am I looking at a difficult task? I figured if it is my wheel bearing I am going to do both sides as I have to drain the diff fluid again so I might as well do that and be done with it.

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #137
DivineKaos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The rear bearings aren't too bad to replace on a Dana 35.

The bearings are pressed into the axle housing which requires a bearing removal tool attached to a slide hammer to remove from the axle tube. I have managed to do it with a hooked pick and a rubber mallet.
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #138
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineKaos View Post
The rear bearings aren't too bad to replace on a Dana 35.

The bearings are pressed into the axle housing which requires a bearing removal tool attached to a slide hammer to remove from the axle tube. I have managed to do it with a hooked pick and a rubber mallet.
Hehe.. believe it or not but its actually my exhaust that's making that sound. After further investigation I found that out.

The sound comes from the rear muffler area as its not properly sealed and the sound vary with my speed/throttle.

I inspected the bearings on the jeep
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #139
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well the saga continues to improve the Jeep. My plan with this Jeep is to slowly rebuild/restore it. One day I'd like to actually separate the tub from frame. Rust repair and coat the frame, while have the tub repainted a different colour perhaps. But this is still far away.

I've picked up a couple of things over the last little course to swap.

I've actually installed the shocks I' picked up from a fellow member on the local Jeep club.

The rears are BDS Suspension shocks. While the fronts are Skyjacker Hydro 7000, these are not fully installed as I am waiting from Skyjacker for some missing pieces to be mailed to me but should be installed within a week.

Rears:
Extended Length: 22.95"
Collapsed Length: 14.67"

Fronts:
Extended Length: 22.75"
Collapsed Length: 13.54"

I had the banging issue previously, turns out that it was in fact my stock shocks were too short after I had installed the spacers on the Jeep. Once I installed these BDS shocks the ride became a lot smoother as well as the banging was completely gone. My previous shocks were over extending on big dips in the road. Once I removed the stock shocks I compared how compressed they were upon removal straight from the Jeep and they might of had about .5" of extending left before they would be maxed so no wonder what was going on previously.

I hope I have the correct order of these bushings/washers on the front shocks. (Nut - Metal washer - rubber bushing - frame mount - rubber bushing - metal washer). I torqued the lower bolts to spec but I am not sure how I could torque the upper nut due to space and not being able to fit the socket up there.

Also my exhaust is gone and I've been looking into options recently to replace it. Well I picked up a Stainless steel Magnaflow muffler #14325 (2.25" IN/OUT piping) - reading some reviews on this I guess the is quite a nice sounding muffler. And matches pipe diameter wise for stock jeep exhaust.

Due to my tailpipe being in extremely rough shape (see pictures below) I also picked up a brand new pre-bent Walker tailpipe that I plan to install when the Magnaflow goes on.

However here you can see my exhaust the current state its in. I just created a thread (Exhaust Replacement, How to tackle job?) to see how I can go about attaching the muffler to the CAT side as my current muffler has a longer spout coming out of it than the Magnaflow its almost 2" shorter. Also the muffler leaks around its own seams so its time to dump this puppy and put in the Magnaflow

My Progress Page
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #140
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I finally had a chance last week to install the new muffler. Overall I'm very happy with the sound of it. Sounds wicked, I guess it's supposed to sound even better after the break in period. Had a harder time getting the muffler on the pipe from the catalytic converter section as they were the same size. So I found a youtube video that shows how you can make a pipe smaller using a basic u-clamp. This worked quite well actually and allowed me use the Walker Stainless steel band clamps I picked up to join the pipes together.

Here is also the old muffler and tailpipe, it was at its end.

Never used these band clamps and I was quite impressed with how well they tighten and seal. I torqued them down to spec and will have to reverify after a couple hundred miles.

Here's a pic of the Jeep parked from the other day, it was really nice outside.
My Progress Page
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #141
DivineKaos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome man!

I'm in the middle of a body / frame swap myself. Broke my frame during the winter..
Unread 05-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #142
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineKaos View Post
Looks awesome man!

I'm in the middle of a body / frame swap myself. Broke my frame during the winter..
Thanks dude! Nice to see a feollow NBer! It's a work in progress, doesn't see much street, its really just for enjoyment and it's parked over winters. Slowly rebuilding/replacing things on it.

You end up getting that LJ?
My Progress Page
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #143
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well Jeeps on the road for another season, changed the oil and filter the other night, puurs like a kitten now.

Hopefully the next things I'll be tackling in the very near future are

2 rear brake lines, and the two front ones. The long one that runs to the back has been replaced not that long ago.
Also rear brake hardware could see a refresh and need to tighten up my hand brake.

The Jeep has two outstanding recalls on it, one is to do with a fuel sending unit and to my understanding that involves replacing the entire fuel pump? So I think I'm going to try and get it into the dealer to get this done if it gets me a new fuel pump
Also there is a airbag recall, of course which vehicle doesn't have one of those!
My Progress Page
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #144
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just to provide an update, work was done on the brake lines, replaced all the lines on it. Even the two small ones that go from master cylinder to brake proportioning valve. All thats left is to bleed the system on it, perhaps tomorrow or Sunday.

While in the process of installing one of the last few lines on the brake proportioning valve I ended up stripping it.. so I had to go source one from the junkyard.

Also, I ended up picking up one of the Navigational units online that fit into the stock 1.5DIN location so I hope to install that. But prior to that I had to acquire a rounded bezel along with a 4 switch tray bezel. I got it for a good deal, but the unit had a slight crack on it, so I filled that in and repainted the thing.

Think it turned out pretty good afterwards

I am hoping to re-do the switch wiring in my Jeep as its quite the mess. All kinds of colours over the years and it simply doesn't make sense. Hopefully I can create something more standardized on there.
My Progress Page
Unread 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #145
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If anyone needs a extra brake prop valve I have one sitting here, I picked up an extra from the junkyard just in case I had trouble with the 1st one I grabbed but my install went fine and all is working on my Jeep. So now I have an extra one..

Spend a few days installing my new NAV radio in the Jeep along with ripping out the wiring for m driving lights & fog lights etc.. just a mess under there. Couldn't look at it any longer. Going to re-organize the stuff down there and hopefully come up with some sort of wiring plan.

This is the radio I installed. Unit looks great and works sweet too, quite fast and smooth between going of menus etc. Had to kind of fabricate my own mount as it doesn't quite fit with the pre 02 TJ's but it's in there and not going anywheres.

The little tabs needed to be chopped off on the dash, along with some minor trimming on the bottom to get the new switch tray to fit nicely.

The newer style radios use 4 mounting points, while the older TJ's (square) only use 2 (top right, bottom left) also the holes don't even line up if one wanted to use just the 2 diagonal holes. So I had to fabricate these mounts. Some brackets I came across and I simply straightened them out as they formed an L-shape, then I tacked on nuts&washers to the rear of them in order to fasten the radio to those. While the bracket is held onto the dash using screws.

Here is the unit mounted up with the brackets.

Finished product turned out pretty good. Only thing is with the way one sits in a TJ your somewhat high so the FOV for the stereo sort of cuts off about 1/8" from the upper part of the screen so you can't see the top bar if it has something written on it like the GPS application. Hopefully I'll just have to till the radio up a bit and tighten the upper screws more to give it that pull in from the top but push out from the bottom to get the slight angle. This is also hardly noticeable.

My Progress Page
Unread 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #146
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well not even after redoing all my brake lines and bleeding the entire system. My front right caliper was seizing, just replaced both sides with new Cardone ones. Bled the front end again, noticeable difference in braking and the Jeep doesn't just pull to one side.

I do need to adjust my rear parking brake. When I did all new hardware in the rear along with 2 new wheel cylinders, I adjusted the brakes however I still don't see to get the parking brake to properly engage. Sometimes it's much tighter when I pull the handle, others not so much. Anyone have ideas why its doing this?
My Progress Page

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.