My Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Jeep

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Martinsc's Jeep Build

I just got my jeep about a week ago. It is a 1998 Sahara edition. I plan on getting a 3-4 inch lift 33 inch tires and a bunch of other stuff once I have enough money. Just looking for some advice or input since I am new to Jeeps.

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by Martinsc; 05-29-2010 at 11:21 AM..
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
WheelinWV
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nice Jeep. Click free is conditional upon having, I believe, 50 posts.

2010 JK Mango Tango 2dr
WheelinWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
fr0st_m0nkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsc View Post

click free
Unread 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
tufrthnails
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good man which lift are you planning on going with?
tufrthnails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
Looks good man which lift are you planning on going with?
Not sure yet I need to save up some money. I would rather get a high quality lift rather than a cheap one that will just give me problems. Do you have any suggestions?
Unread 03-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
tufrthnails
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If I had to do it again I would probably went with Rusty's 5.5" LA. I ended up spending at least that much.
Unread 03-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
bgoman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep! I suggest going with a smaller lift if it's your daily driver. I went with the 2.5" Skyjacker because anything under 3" usually doesnt give much trouble in the way of drivetrain. That being said, if you have the money to go higher and get bigger tires then do it. The only reason I haven't yet is that I can't afford the part to fix the changes to the drivetrain (higher lift changes the angle of the drive shaft, also gets into control arms witch usually come with a lift kit but make the kit cost more). You can still run 33" tires on 2.5"-3" of lift too. I'm planning on adding a body lift to mine and from my understanding body lifts dont have nearly the same effects on drivetrain that big suspension lifts do (although i might have to do more research on them). In the end, the overall lift is higher with bigger tires and the new suspension anyway. I did have to have my U-joint replaced but that was because it came from the factory phased and I just hadn't noticed. Also, get quick-disconnects cause the first thing your gonna want to do is flex and I really regret replacing my sway bar connects with new stock ones.

Thats just what i've learned from this site, and one other important thing is that if your not willing to or cant afford to pay for repairs or parts, then just leave it stock. This member's threads might help you, they certainly helped me understand a whole lot about running big lifts and big tires: (Go to his Forum Signature section on his profile)

http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/never%20monday

EDIT: Another thing I learned about from this site is Gear ratio and axles. You need a higher gear ratio to turn bigger tires, this means you have to replace the ring and pinion in the axle. You wont have to do this for 33's but any bigger and you might find you need them. Most Jeeps have a Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 35 in the rear. These axles become to weak with a lot of lift and big tires, most people on here swap to D44's from what I've seen. Again, you probably wont have to do any of this but just keep it in mind.
bgoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
tufrthnails
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Only thing I would add to the above post is Body lifts are fine for tweaking you suspension and clearing motor mount lifts. But as a general rule they aren't great as your primary lift especially if you plan on flexing. Not only that a 3" Bl looks horrible with that huge gap. He is right you should do your research on how much you really want to spend. Although a 4" lift with 33's is a typical lift without a slip yoke eliminator and CV-driveshaft. anything more you definitely will need one. this is where your body lift can come in. If you want that extra lift a 1" bodylift can give you that. But don't just take my word on this. Ask around and learn as much as you can.
http://www.thelakelandjeepclub.com
Unread 05-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
male_dude001
1942 WJ 

really nice jeep man. I guess u should go for mud terrain tyres
male_dude001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I will probably be getting the BF goodrich Mud Terrain
Unread 05-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
digitalcox
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking TJ, welcome to the forum. In regards to lifting, do it right the first time. It will lessen the amount of headaches in the future.
digitalcox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here is mine. Looks pretty much identical. Mine is an '02 and I went with the RC 3.25" and 33" BFG KM2's. While the RC 3.25" is probably one of the least expensive lifts in that lift range I have had no problems with it at all so far. I tooke it out wheeling this past weekend and had no clearance, ride, mechanical issues with it and it flexes pretty nice. The new 2.2 series shocks are supposed to be huuuge upgrade from their original ones, and the ride (imho) isn't much different than stock. I got the lift and steering stabilizer for just under $400 shipped.... but then again if you have cash to spend might as well go for something more expensive... I mean why not ? Good luck buddy, I'll be watching this one!

sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about getting the Rubicon express 3.5 lift. I will probably put it in with one of my friends. Is it a hard thing to do.
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #14
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hard is all relative. What kind of mechanical experience does you and your friend have? Also what access to what tools do you have? Air tools make things immensely easier. I installed my kit with a buddy with air tools(who had done multiple lifts, as this was my first one) and it took us 6 hours. I feel that I could now install a lift on my own if I had the proper tools, assuming nothing else went wrong.

But then again this was for the RC kit, I have no personal experience with the RE 3.5"
sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Put the lift on yesterday so decided to update the thread. I went with the rough country 3.25 lift. Some other stuff that I got was full soft doors, soft top, new front bumper (free), cb radio, and tow hooks.

Jeep :: Jeep picture by Martinsc - Photobucket

Now all I need is some 33's so if anyone has any for sale let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.