My homeade long arm build + other mods. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-08-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Project Fury, build progress.

Hey guys, starting this thread because my jeep is going to be going through some major mods soon. Right now im ordering parts to build a long arm kit (parts listed below). The current bushings on my pro comp short arms are shot so i figured now would be a good time to swap out the arms to adjustable long arms. Of course kits are $8-900 and i figured i can make one that better suits my needs for roughly half of that. I have pretty good welding experience as I work on field equipment most of the summer and my plans dont seem too complex as far as suspensions go. Chime in if you guys think im doing something wrong or should have something else added. I'll post up details of all the other mods I have done to it in the future along with progress on the whole build. Ill be buying the tubing from a local steel shop once I get the inserts and specs on length I want. Also this weekend I should be finishing up on my homemade rear bumper, pics to come.

Weld on bushings
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensio...t_pn=R/ERE3765

J Joints
http://jksmfg.com/i-22118543-2-1-2-f...-625-ball.html

Tube Inserts
http://catalog.foothilloffroad.com/p...roducts_id=346

Last edited by daninjabreadman; 04-26-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-10-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update. Today i did more work on the bumper i made. I got it sand blasted, primed, and the front painted in matte black. I also did some painting on the frame over some rust spots. Tomorrow ill paint the back in gloss black and mount it.

forumrunner_20151010_192911.jpg
post #3 of 17 Old 10-13-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jjoints and threaded inserts came today. Tomorrow i shall travel the county in search of 12' of 2"x.25 1.5"id DOM tubing. Online its about 14.50 a foot and ill hopefully be able to find it close to that near by. I hope to have this done by Sunday to bring it to a truck show. Also my finished bumper looks pretty good.

forumrunner_20151013_202454.jpg
post #4 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Found lower tubing for a decent price and bought 12' of it. Cut it into 3 foot sections and welded the bushings on one end. Next is to make an axle truss for the 4 link rear and some brackets for my radius arm front so im ready when those parts come in. Ill have to make another trip to the tube shop for the upper material, i probably have square tubing for the truss lying around though.

forumrunner_20151015_221341.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20151015_221334.jpg  
post #5 of 17 Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tacked up the axle truss and made brackets for that and some for the front lca's. Still need to drill holes in some. The truss fits pretty good, but not quite level. I also installed the bushings in the lca's. Now im mostly waiting on my uca parts and joints to come in.

forumrunner_20151016_161819.jpg

forumrunner_20151016_161825.jpg

forumrunner_20151016_161832.jpg
post #6 of 17 Old 10-30-2015, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So i finished up the 4 link and it seems to drive better than before but its almost like there's play in my steering wheel and it lets the jeep wander around the road. Ill be checking my joints soon. Im also waiting to get an alignment until iv finished the front next weekend. Otherwise i think it might be the power steering. I also stripped out the nuts that hold the drag link collars on so i drilled out the square hole and put normal bolts in there, is there any issue with this im not seeing? They're as tight as i can get them with a wrench so they shouldn't come off.
Drag link fix.
forumrunner_20151030_072231.jpg

Frame side bracket with upper attached.

forumrunner_20151030_072240.jpg
post #7 of 17 Old 11-13-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have about 400 miles on the rear 4 link and it seems to be working well. I'll be doing the long arm front this weekend and some other steering work. Will report back with pictures of the final project.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-13-2015, 03:40 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Looks good as far as I can tell, but I can't make much sense of the pictures. Any bigger perspective shots?
post #9 of 17 Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah sorry. I'll post some higher quality pics later. I got the front radius arms done this weekend and words can't describe how much better this rides as far as bumps go. I just have to get some correct size bolts tomorrow and I'll be done. A seperate issue that I'm just noticing now is that the jeep leans to the passenger side. It's about a two inch difference and I'm not sure what could be the cause. My only guess would be that the procomp (?) Springs are sagging weird. Next on the list is to correct caster angle, check all the steering joints, and bring it in for an alignment. This will hopefully resolve my wandering steering.

Complete radius arm.
forumrunner_20151115_212131.jpg

Crap procomp arms I replaced.
forumrunner_20151115_212143.jpg
post #10 of 17 Old 11-17-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Took it in for an alignment today and they told me my ball joints are bad. So it looks like I'll be changing those this weekend. While I'm at it I'll make some gussets for the cs and weld those in so I can run 35s a bit more safely in the future. I'm also gonna remove the trackbar drop bracket and put a normal pitman arm back on to correct the angle.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-22-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Changed the ball joints today which was a pita. The master pro brand joints have a rubber boot that I couldn't remove so I ended up ripping both the bottom ones when I tried to press them in place. The problem was that the rubber piece covered the lip that the press was supposed to be up against so I had no choice but to push on the rubber. Afterwards I tried to seal the boots with rtv as best I could. I'll just replace them with another brand once they go bad. Other than that the u joints went well and the axle gussets are ugly but seem like they'll be strong enough for 35s. Once I had all that together I realised that when I bled the rear brakes earlier, I forgot that I had the front brakes disconnected. So naturally the piston went out so far on the drivers side caliper that it came out of the housing and I couldn't get it back in. So I ordered a refurbished caliper for cheap and it will be done once I put that in.

Axles gussets.
forumrunner_20151122_205104.jpg
post #12 of 17 Old 11-27-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So apparently if you don't put the dust shields back in around the axles the rotor rubs on the steering knuckle... that was kind of annoying to find out that the tires didn't turn once I had everything back together. Apparently that 1/16 of material gives them enough space to not rub. Anyways. I got the new caliper on and the brakes need a bit more bleeding tomorrow. I also got to cutting out the track bar drop bracket and replaced the drop pitman arm with a stock one. Everything should be set to finally get that alignment. I also have a coolant leak somewhere that I need to find. It only leaks when it's below freezing and it leaks really bead when it's below 0. Which makes me think it has to be a rubber seal somwhere.

New stock one vs old drop pitman

forumrunner_20151127_185109.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20151127_185127.jpg  

Last edited by daninjabreadman; 11-27-2015 at 11:01 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-01-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well it seems that my calipers are hitting the gussets at full turn and compressing the piston. This makes my brakes go soft and they hardly work until I pump the pedal. Looks like I'll grind a bit on the gussets and adjust the steering stops out a bit to stop this. A good tip to anyone reading this is to weld gussets more inside of the c rather than on the outside edges like I did.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Took some pics today. Enjoy

forumrunner_20151202_183335.jpg

forumrunner_20151202_183257.jpg

Also need longer brake lines before I can do a flex test
forumrunner_20151202_183250.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20151202_183245.jpg  
post #15 of 17 Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
daninjabreadman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, here's a big update on the whole project. I have about 3000 miles on the long arms with no problems. I will need to repaint them because the paint i used is flaking off (Any suggestions?), I think the tubing was too slick for the primer to stick to it well.
In other news my #3 piston decided to break a skirt and now im in the process of putting new pistons in. I also decided to go with a Champion 2 row aluminum radiator to fix the leaking stock one. Hopefully when i have everything back together in a week or two it'll run much better, all i have left to do at the moment is hone the cylinders and start reinstalling everything.

I also picked up a smittybilt src tube front bumper so I can start thinking about winches, right now I'm leaning towards a rough country 95k.
New tires and rims are on the list this summer and im planning on Micky T Sidebiter 2s in 15x10 with Goodyear MTRs 35x12.5 around them. Hopefully this will end up being sub $2k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.