My Gun Metal Monster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Gun Metal Monster

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My Gun Metal Monster

Well here it is. My build thread. I am excited to finally be starting this, although it is going to be a long process I figured I would start keeping track of the things I do. It will be a good place to send friends and family so they see my progress.

Here is a list of things I want to do:

Ford 8.8 rear axle. I really wanted to do a super 35 and/or CCE, but the price was a little more than I wanted to throw at it, so I went to the junkyard and picked up an 8.8 with 4.10 gear, LSD, and disc brakes from an Explorer. This will be the big mod for me. I am excited to get at it.

Raptor u-pol interior (Done!)
Winch
Front and rear bumbers
SYE
Crager soft 8s (Ended up getting used Pro-comps off Craigslist)
34x10.5s (I bought some Pro-comp MTs, 35x12.5x15)
Engine swap. I have been looking into a 5.7 Vortec engine out of a 2004 Tahoe. It all depends on if Anchorage gets rid of its emissions test. (Emissions are gone! My 4-cyl died. I picked up a 5.3l V8 from an 02 Silverado )
I currently have a 2 inch body lift, but I plan on moving it down to a 1 or 1 1/4.
I will swap out the lift as well at some point, but not decided to what yet.

Ummmm, I think that is it for now. I am sure there will be more as I go along and see things that I want to change. I love my Jeep, but she needs some work.

I plan on this build taking the next year or two. I am going to have a 6 month work trip out of country next year, so that will put a gap in my build, but the trip will give me the cash to finish everything I want to do. (this trip was cancelled, I am not happy)

I plan on having many questions and I gladly accept ideas and criticism from all.

Anywho, onto the pictures I have so far.

These first ones are of my Jeep before I started. When I bought it it had a 3 inch suspension and 2 inch body lift with 33s. I believe that was all of upgrades that were done. I heard that the dealer that originally sold the Jeep was doing these upgrades and calling it a "canyonlands edition." If anyone knows something different I would love to know.

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Gun Metal Blue Jeep club member #22[/SIZE][/COLOR]
My build thread - [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-gun-metal-monster-1110683/[/url]

[QUOTE=1222;9649132]Not sure if this is in the owner’s manual, (too lazy to look – just being honest) but how would you get out of your Jeep if the power went out and you were locked inside? Assuming you have the power windows and locks of course.
:dunno:[/QUOTE]
JimmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I found some chips on the spider gears

My build thread - [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-gun-metal-monster-1110683/[/url]

[QUOTE=1222;9649132]Not sure if this is in the owner’s manual, (too lazy to look – just being honest) but how would you get out of your Jeep if the power went out and you were locked inside? Assuming you have the power windows and locks of course.
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a hi-lift awhile back, but never put it on anywhere. I let my girlfriend's kid practice some welding on some bolts. They are beautiful A new bumper is in the future, so it was no big deal.

Unread 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just to keep up to date..... I got the U-Pol Raptor in yesterday. It got here much faster than I expected. I started to prep by taking out the seats and unbolting anything I am not using. I also began to sand and clean what I could. Weather permitting I will spray this weekend and hopefully have some good results and pictures by Sunday/Monday.

On a side note, I was behind a Toyota 4Runner on the highway driving home from work when I noticed sparks flying from underneath it. At closer inspection I noticed the driveline dragging on the ground. I followed them off the road and just as they pulled on the shoulder the driveline came off. It was in pretty bad shape. I helped them get the front stub off and they drove home in 4wd. Good times.

Unread 10-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I finished my bedliner. It was not as hard as I thought. The prep was kind of a pain, but that was to be expected. I decided to also spray down my fenders and rear corner guards. Slowly but surely I am losing the chrome. Here are a few pictures for you.

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
karlo

Looks like a good start. Keep the pictures coming.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well it has been awhile, so i figured i would give an update. I was looking for some new rims and tires at the beginning of the winter. I liked the look of the crager soft 8s. I didn't care that they are not unique, they were cheap and looked a lot better than what i had. I started shopping around on craigslist and found a set of 4 rims and tires for $150. It was a good deal, so I bought them. I was told they are procomp though, no big deal. The tires were also an inch bigger than mine (33 to 34). The tred is low, but I figured I can run them until I can save for some new rubber.

Here is a picture of the "new" rims and tires before I installed them. I need to get a good daylight picture with all the tires on. I also took off my nerf bars. I hope to be ordering some rock sliders in the next week.

I also got some work done on my 8.8. I diassembled the rest of it and ground down the brackets. I am thinking i will take it and either get the rest of it sandbalsted, or find someone in town that can do a chemical dip. Which do you guys think would be better?

I hate that this build is so slow, but it's all about waiting for the money to come in.

I will try for more pics later this week. Even the small change of the tires and rims makes the jeep look much different.

Unread 01-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
crouch_104
1989 XJ Cherokee 

looks good man keep up the good work
crouch_104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is another update...

So I ordered some rocksliders from Smittybilt. I got them off amazon.com because they have the cheapest shipping I can find. I waited about 2 weeks and when they showed up I realized I had ordered the wrong part #. I was suppose to get a 76871, but I had ordered a 76861. Even though it was my fault for not checking, Amazon sent me a paid return label and refunded the the purchase and shipping price. They were awesome.

Anyhow, I reordered the correct ones and got the driver's side installed last night. I will get the other one on tonight. They were a little bit of a PITA doing it all by myself and the front fender flares totally get in the way and I was forced to modify them a little bit, but in the end, I think they look good.

The hi-lift jack was very useful in this project

The finished product

Here some pictures of the whole Jeep, just to show the progress of how it is looking

Here is a better picture of the "new" tires and rims installed

I have not made any progress with my axle I am on the hunt for a new motor and transmission though. I am starting to lean away from the LS1 because of cost, but I am still going for a V8 of some sort. Any opinions and ideas are welcome.

Unread 04-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, I also Installed some HIDs a few weeks back. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I know the bulb housings are IPF. You can see them a bit in the previous. If you want better pictures of those let me know.

Unread 04-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Who is the guy in your avatar?Jeep is looking good BTW.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That would be me, looking like a freaking stud a few halloweens ago.

Unread 05-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed I was leaving a nice puddle of steering fluid in my garage and everywhere else I parked, so I got under to see where it was coming from and I saw this... the hose clamp has been eating away at the steering shaft knuckle.

this was obviously not the leak, but it was a nice find. The leak was from the steering box. I ended up grabbing a replacement from a 98 Durango. I read about it being a little more heavy duty. It is definitely bigger in size. Changing it was not too bad and I can tell that the steering is a little tighter. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the swap, sorry.

Unread 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Things have been up and down with my Jeep. It seems most of my money has been spent on just keeping the thing running in the winter. Did you know it gets freaking cold in Alaska?

My motor has not been doing so well. I recently changed a water pump, thermostat, and the main crank and bearings. I am not sure if I did a bad job or what, but the engine started knocking loudly and I decided that I really do hate my 4-cylinder. I decided that if I am going to pull this motor, there is no way a crappy 4-cyl was going back in. I also figured that if I was going to drop in a 6 I might as well sell the Jeep and find one. After some consideration I chose to buy a 5.3L V8. It is an LM7 out of a 2002 Silverado. It has 60k miles, all the accessories, wiring harness, and 4L60e auto trans. I found it on CL for $1500. I think it was a good deal, so I snatched it.

Now I need some help. I know there is much more I need to change in order to do this swap. I have been going through pages and pages of forums, here and at pirate 4x4. There is a ton of info on this swap, but I still have some questions that I hope some of you can answer. Some of them may be quite dumb, but I am learning as I go.

I am swapping the radiator, but does it matter where the input and output connections are located? I found a 22x19, double pass, aluminum radiator for a good price. It says it was built for Chevy so I am assuming it should work with the LM7, but from pictures of other radiators (like the one on Novak's site) I am curious if it matters where the input and output holes are located. Do they need to be on opposite corners, or can they be on the same side?

How about the transmission to t-case adapter? Why the hell are they so freaking expensive? Is there a way to adapt them without buying the overpriced kits from Novak or AA?

Exhaust headers. It seems every other thread says something different. Can I use the stock one? If I can't should I use center dump or rear dump? Do they need to be blockhuggers? It seems the most popular answer is center dump blockhuggers. Whatever the case, can I buy any generic type that is made for this engine? Again it seems AA and Novak are a bit pricey.

Wiring... dear god, the wiring. Is there a site or a link anyone has on how I can do the wiring myself? I have access to some pretty good electricians that would be willing to help me if I can get some sort of drawings on what I am doing.

I know that I will be spending some money on all this, but this is my DD and I am bumming rides off of friends until I can get this done. I was planning on doing this swap at some future point, but because it happened outside my time schedule I am a little short on the cash. I don't want to buy junk, but I do need to this on the cheap. Any help from the community would be great. I have looked at a ton of sites and have a crap ton of info, but more info is never a bad thing. Thanks guys and keep watching. I will try and get pics up as I go.

Here is the motor as it currently sits, cold and lonely.

Unread 02-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
JimmieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have started to order some of the parts needed for the swap. I will try and keep a list of the parts and the prices I paid for anyone that is interested.

5.3L Vortec from a 2002 Silverado, 60K miles, 4L60e auto trans, wiring harness and accessories: $1500 on CL
T-case to trans adapter. It is the Advanced Adapter ADD-50-0435, but I bought it through Summit: $475
Engine mounts from Novak - part # MMTJ-G3: $178
Auto trans shifter, Lokar ATS64L60EBM 16". I bought this through Amazon: $245
T-case shifter from Novak, SK2X: $154
Radiator from Performance Radiators: $300
Mega short SYE from Rugged Ridge - part# 18676.72: $285.40
Front driveshaft from an XJ: $50 - Getting it shortened and some parts replaced: $250ish
Various parts such as radiator hoses, clamps, s*itload of wiring stuff, and custom modified hoses/lines: easily $400

Here is a list of things I am still working on getting

Fuel pump or something similar - update: I'm using the stock one for now. If it runs poorly I will look into upgrading.
Exhaust headers - update: The stock manifolds seems to fit right now. I have yet to get the muffler done, so this may change as well.
I will be changing the oil pan as well, but I'm not sure if it will be a priority right now. This is my DD and my main concern is getting it running.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.