Now.... for today's work. The Currie TJJ Adjustable Track Bar. The Official, JeepForum Approved, Best-Money-Can-Buy Track Bar. Another Savvy
As with every Jeep project, I can only say so many times how important PB Blaster is to getting things done. I soaked this stupid stock track bar 5 times today (with an hour to penetrate between sprays). Probably wouldn't have been able to do this without it. SaxMan showed up and we got to work, putting the front end of the Jeep up on jacks and drop the front axle as low as it would hang. A few minutes later and the whole thing was hanging like an Elephant's junk.
The problem with TJs is the incredible use of cotter pins and castle nuts. These aren't really that big of a problem, until you add in 10 years of New England rust. A few months back Clay and I had a problem with his track bar removal, so we were extremely cautious this time to not get in over our heads and to take the slow approach and get things done right. The cotter pin wasn't in on this, and decided to be a pain in the ***. It took about an hour to get the cotter pin out, at which point the castle nut was free and clear (thanks PB!)
I ended up bending the crap out of my pickle fork/tie rod end puller/pitman arm puller that I had just bought this morning. Had to use a pry bar to get the Track Bar out of the frame side, but once it was out things were smooth sailing. Drill out the frame side to a MASSIVE 5/8" hole ($17 bit at Home Depot) and drill out the axle to a 1/2" from the 3/8" that it already was. Install the track bar, adjust it to the right length, and bolt everything up.
Voila, axle is centered. Time to quickly install my new (to me) quick discos. Took about half an hour to get everything done, and the Jeep is all back together again. Big thanks to Clay for his endless help. And now for the photos! Off-centered tires (pre adjustable bar), and the processes of the day.
BEFORE CURRIE TRACK BAR: