Spent a little time on the Jeep today, replaced the speedometer tooth gear in the transfer case. Really easy, couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes. Mom decided to snap a photo while I was under the TJ. I took it up to the local elementary school and drove by the permanently installed radar poles and read out the speed... lined up perfectly so that's good. I also started working on a mount for my fire extinguisher.
Spent the majority of the day driving around getting the Audi appraised for a new paint job. Woohoo. She's been jealous of the money spent on the Jeep.
It's been a few days.... I posted this in another thread but wanted to keep it in my build thread so that I have it for reference in the future...
I decided to install a fire extinguisher in the TJ this past weekend. I didn't want one that was overly obtrusive, so I selected a 2.5lb Kidde FA110 fire extinguisher from Wal-Mart for $17.00. It came with it's own small plastic mount that would be great for a kitchen, but was not suited for a Jeep. I went online and found the mount I wanted with the metal quick release bracket for $5 from an industrial supply store. $4 shipping made it a great deal and it arrived here 2 days after being ordered.
With supplies in hand, I began looking around for where I wanted to mount it within the TJ. Most people I've seen put them on the roll bars, which seemed fine but then I couldn't find a place on any of the cage that allowed it to stay there without being in the way of the soft top frame, or anything else. I looked at mounting it behind the center console, but the lid wouldn't open up all the way without hitting the top of the extinguisher so that wasn't going to be an option. I finally decided to mount it on the floor pan in front of the drivers seat. While contemplating drilling into the tub I noticed that the bolts holding down the front of the driver's seat were perfectly positioned for what I wanted.
Long story short I took 2 feet of 1" steel bar and about a half hour later and I had a bracket. The fixture has 2x 5" arms that bolt to the seat bracket and bend down with the pan. There is then a bar across the two arms that allow for the extinguisher mount to be attached. The arms are fixed to the bar with rivets, and the mount is attached to the bar with small machine screws and nuts. I test fit it, and painted it black... After drying overnight I mounted it up.
Fire extinguisher is on there tightly. It's easily accessible by the driver in case of an emergency, and the seat is still able to slide forwards completely (my tumble function has been broken for years). Total cost was under $30 as the metal was scrap.
Hopefully this might help someone else who's looking for an accessible mount for cheap
Nothing too exciting, but I changed the transfer case fluid today. Used Castrol ATF+4 fluid and used the instructions on the 4x4explor website. I was lucky to find a 10mm allen head key from my dad's bike workshop to get the plugs out. The fluid in there has probably never been changed, and was black as could be when it poured out. The TC took just under 2 quarts of fluid through a funnel which I had to very cautiously fill in order for it to not overflow. I did drip some on my arm which began to burn after a minute or two and required rushing inside to wash it off. All in all things went well and it was a good thing to be done. Transmission fluid will have to be done next just to keep the TJ up to date!
I tuned my Firestik after it being installed for 4 months and never used. Got the tuner on Amazon for $20 with expedited shipping. I figured it was about time that I buy one cause I don't know anyone around here that owns one. It came with a 3 foot jumper cable and wired up easily. Only problem I had was that after wiring the cable a few weeks ago, I had put the insulation ring on the wrong side of the antenna mount, so it was registering a 3:1 on the meter consistently. I googled it on Stu Olson's site and looked at the correct mounting pattern and re-did mine. Solved everything... I've got 1.5:1 at channel 1 and just around the same at channel 40. Seeing as I leave it on 17/19 and will use 21 on the trails, I was happy as channel 20 was registering 1:1 ratio. The easy tune tip of the Firestiks are a dream to work with.
And also drilled out an 8-ball for my shifter knob. Pretty simple, knob was done in 10 minutes. I got the 8-ball from the owner of a Pool table shop in Florida last Christmas for free. I used a 3/8th inch/16 tap after drilling out the center of the 8-ball. The threading onto the shifter knob was tight, but that's fine cause I'm pretty sure it dug the threads out more than the tap did. It's on there all the way and is rock solid... I think it looks great for a free mod!
THE WRONG WAY (plastic washer goes on the top of the mount in the bottom position):