Painted the axles with Chassis Saver yesterday as well as touched up the springs and the bumpers with another layer of it. Then used some aerosol black spray paint over the top just to make it a little less glossy. I also went up to AutoZone and picked up everything I need for the ZJ V8 tie rod, as well as 2 new Duralast U-Joints for the front DS and rear DS. A CV shaft is in the plans, but I figure while I have access I should put in a new U-joint at each axle yoke. Total cost out the door was $101 for all of those parts, with numbers referenced off of Stu's site.
Today, Clay & I will be installing the rear axle. Can't wait! I took a mock up photo the other day of what it "looked" like on 31s and what it will look like on 35s. This thing is bad ***!
Spent today with SaxMan installing the 8.8 in the rear. Had some hang ups getting the lower control arms to work, but we made it happen. Also had to take out and adjust the uppers 'cause they were set for a 4" lift and my pinion angle (more importantly the shock mount angle) were way off. So after some PB blaster some Anti-Seize and a bolted down vice grip, we got them adjusted for 3" of lift and bolted back in. Only things left are loosening the e-brake cable to get it around the mount, bolting in the t-bracket of the brake lines, and getting the track bar up in place. For some reason we weren't able to easily get the rear track bar to bolt in.
35s were also mounted up and bolted on in the rear! This thing is a beast! The lower lip of the full door's windows is at my shoulder, and the step up on the rockers is now too high for my leg to lift up to! Woohoo!
Anyway, here are the photos. Tomorrow is the HP install.
Thank you, sir! Now she can be parked next to your TJ and not look like a midget!
My only concern is raking, as I'm not sure how much lift the rear axle added and whether or not I'll need spacers. I don't have any around and driving to Canton today is NOT in the cards. Do any places like AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts or NAPA carry coil spacers? Like... real coil spacers?
So yesterday Sax and I worked on the axle with some help from 2003x. We got the new tie rod in, the new steering stabilizer mounted, the axle up on jacks underneath, and ONE of the LCAs off the old axle. The other one wouldn't budge (we actually snapped a Craftsman 3/8" socket in half trying to get the nut loose). So I saw-zalled it off and we took the bushing to an compressed-air hammer, and bashed it out. Replaced it with a new bushing and the LCAs are fine.
The other interesting thing was as I was wiring the lights, I managed to completely drain the battery. The guy from AAA said he'd never seen a battery so dead. We ended up finally getting it started, but it would die without my foot on the gas pedal. Anyway, he said I'd need my foot on there for about an hour so we rigged some bricks on the gas pedal to keep it idling at 2,000 RPMs.
Yeah. That and not working on it every day. Hopefully if this rain stops I can finish tomorrow. All that's left is bolting up one of the LCAs, putting the springs in, shocks, driveshaft, brakes, and rear track bar. Might be able to sqeeze that out tomorrow and have her drivable and aligned by Friday afternoon. In a perfect world.
I pried the LCA off of the axle with the bushing and bolt still in it. Then I took a drill bit and drilled out the old bushing. Then Clay and I took the air-hammer to it and bashed the **** out of the bushing. And then we took a sawzall to it and cut it into 4 pieces. Then installed the new one, with a $6 bushing from AutoZone and some grease.