Only things I got done today were electrical things... Got my switch panel wired up and bolted to the center console of the dashboard, and wires run through the firewall. I also put a bracket onto the alternator that will hold the electrical box with the relays and fuse panel in it. Here are a few of the pics, I'll add more later.
Tomorrow at 9AM SaxMan and I will begin the removal of the front axle. Once out, we'll be done for the day and I'll spend some time with a wire brush against the frame in preparation for the Chassis Saver. Over the next few days I'll paint the frame and steering components and then we'll re-assemble her next week. The 35s will be mounted and balanced this week as well, and I'll order the ZJ V8 parts tomorrow. Steering Stabilizer from Rough Country was ordered today, $24 on eBay from Rough Country.
SO! Here are my photos from yesterday... the first batch will be of the electrical systems as I was working on them and working on getting my home made relay box and switch panels configured, along with getting the wiring all set for coming through the firewall and things. Also mounted an L-bracket to the alternator that I will build a mount for the ABS box with.
The second batch will be of the axle pull, with major credit due to SaxManClay and 2003x for stopping by to help! The only real problems we had were the driver's side LCA not wanting to let go, the pitman arm being a pain in the butt to pull the drag link from, the UCA bolts having to be sawzalled off, and the passenger side shock nut stripping (so we sawzalled it, 'cause I love sawzalling). So that's that. Now that the frame is completely bare, I'll begin to strip it with a wire wheel in preparation for the Chassis Saver. Can't wait to see all this rust disappear.
So here they are... embarrassing photos of the surface rust on my TJ. These are the prelimiary photos after the axles and steering had been stripped, before I began the tedious process of "chassis saving" every surface I could get a paint brush on. I used two 2" and two 3" brushes to get the frame, tub, rockers, bumpers, and steering components painted. One layer on most, but two layers on most of the frame parts. I'll also be going over it in a Rustoleum black enamel to keep the true black color from the Chassis Saver's UV fading. This took two days in total of rolling around under it on my crawler, and unfortunately getting a bit pasted to my arms! Literally scrubbed my arm until I was bleeding and this paint was NOT coming off! Guess I'll just wait till it does naturally.
Anyway! On with the photos! There's a photo of every main "zone" during the walk-around.
AND... ladies and gentlemen, the Chassis Saver'd frame. Photos from the same location. It's been drying all weekend as I've been in Poughkeepsie NY with family. Can't say enough how great this stuff is! I'll be sure to update everything in a year to keep everyone informed as to how this holds up in a New England winter.
Didn't yet... but I'd thought about it and think it would be good to do while they're out and accessible. I'll do it tomorrow night so they're ready to go back in on Monday! (this is your invitation over on Monday... Clay and I are going to at least get the back in, then maybe start the front.
Originally Posted by SaxManClay
Two words: icky sticky. Looks great man!
It's all over my arm. Still. Hour in the shower with Orange Fast soap and a scotch pad left my arm still black (family thought it was funny) and a huge cut. I'm a fool!